New
Find
Notify
Tools

4457 photo copy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm headed to Canada this week for a deer hunt.

I could not locate my original 4457, but I do have a photocopy made for a previous trip.

Is this acceptable, or will it pose a problem?

Thanks, Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California, USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That is a VERY GOOD question!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
My bet is the answer is unpredictable. Probably depends on the mood of the customs folks. I'd get a new one if that wasn't too problematic.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7595 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I scanned all of mine into my computer and print them as needed. I have never had a problem.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could have it notarized.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a photocopy when I came back to the US (JFK) from Zim in August with no problem at all.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used notarized ones in the passed with know problem I always carry a couple notarized copies just in case the original get lost

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have photo copied mine front and back. It is very difficult to tell the difference. I carry the original, but always use a copy. Had an officer in Tanzania want a brib to give us our 4457 back. When we told him to keep them you should have seen his face when we walked away......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using copies for years, never a problem. One in the rifle case, one in wallet, one in notebook, etc. I always put a copy of my passport and 4457 on the inside lid of rifle case, with my cell phone #.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have photo copied mine front and back. It is very difficult to tell the difference. I carry the original, but always use a copy. Had an officer in Tanzania want a brib to give us our 4457 back. When we told him to keep them you should have seen his face when we walked away......Tom

yuck priceless Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
A copy of the 4457 worked for me coming back from Burkina Faso in April, but you never know, your dealing with CBP.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Have used copies many times. No problems whatsoever!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a half dozen color copies made of mine and you'd have a hard time telling the originals from the copies. Been meaning to laminate one, but haven't got around to it. (I really need one of those round tuits -- anybody know where I can get one?).

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
as with others, I have multiple scanned copies on my printer that I print up and use. I carry them (and my original) in my gun case, camera case, with my passport, etc. You'd be hard pressed to tell the original from the copy.

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I started this thread, here's my results.

I went through customs in the Vancouver airport on my way back to CA. I was basically read the riot act for not having the original. When I finally got the gal to lay off and told her that this is all I have, so what do we do? She backed off and said she'd let it slide. What else could she do?

I suppose its best to have an original, but when push comes to shove, they do have the capacity to be practical.

I'll try and get a replacement for next time.

BT

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California, USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
All of my originals are laminated. I take only the applicable ones with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from a Canada hunt.
US Customs was a major pain in the ass!
They have now added a new step. When you pass thru customs you now have to go thru another office where they send your luggage (all of your bags including your rifle case). They open it up to verify serial numbers with what you documented before you came in.

When I questioned this since I had already been checked by the airlines before they would accept my rifle, I was told it was b/c it was by a Canadian and not an official American customs agent. They didn't particularly like it when I asked if they don't trust Canadians now.

They were looking to make sure it was the same rifle and that it had not been modified.

What a friggin joke! One rifle and the number of steps it takes to get out of Canada....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
several weeks ago I travelled back into the US through Dullas
TSA were complete A-holes.
No customs agent looked at my rifles or anything else, just TSA jerks.
When I gathered my luggage/guns I walked up to the re-screening area and the agent standing there looked at my case. I told him I have guns and where is the Customs agent for inspection. He grabbed my case and told me to step over next to this door and room area. Some guy came out of the room and grabbed my case and started to walk off with it(taking it into the room for x-ray screening). I grabbed it and told him that case is not leaving my sight until I have a customs agent screen it--( i once had my gun case go through a screening coming in from Canada that ended up causing me a lot grief and broken fishing poles)

The TSA agents appeared and demanded the keys and the case, I asked for customs agent and told them I have my forms for the guns--they just grabbed the case & keys and said that "we don't care what forms you have" and walked off with my case. I demanded to see their TSA boss. When he showed up, I demanded my keys back and told him that according to customs regulations, I must be present when opening my gun case and I want to observe that my guns packed properly to avid any damage. (They refused to let me unlock the case or be near the case at all).

That really pisssed him off--he just became more rude and arguementative. They pulled everything out of the case---which was unnecessary-nor would they let me repack it---they just closed up case told me that it would be sent out on the plane--

No customs agent inspected a damn bag or gun case, just the customs agent who checked my passport----he was a bit of an ass too----20 question BS before he would let me and my son through.

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't recall ever being asked for a 4457 in Africa, Canada, or the US.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Free Advise.....Have all your copies "Passport, 4457,ect" Certified. Don't mean much here, but seems to impress the folks abroad.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my trip last Sep-Oct I cleared customs in Atlanta on the return and the TSA agent was very anal about confirming the fact that my 4457 matched the guns.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever used their Dutch consent form? It list the guns you are taking with you and the guns you are bringing back.

DRJ: did you mean to say the customs agent? I don't think TSA knows what a 4457 is.

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Customs gave me crap for not having a 4457 but when I showed them the Dutch consent form they told me next time bring a 4457.

They must be cracking down on firearms. This is the first time I have ever been asked for a 4457.