New
Find
Notify
Tools

What brand of ammo carrier
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Will be going on my first trip to the dark continent this summer. Does anyone have a favorite brand/type of airline approved ammo carrier?

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
The airline regs say in the manufacturer box but also say in a lockable container.
I found an MTM lockable plastic container that will hold 3 boxes of 375 H&H that I can lock and pack in my checked luggage.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Kalispel aluminum box.

Leave my camera in it with the ammo in the bed of the truck with no worries whatsoever.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pelican 1200. This topic has been discussed many times in fact there is a recent thead by Reddy 375 right below this one dealing with similar questions.

Try a search on this forum and "African Hunting" for more suggestions.

Regards,

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

You are allowed 13 pound for ammunition. The weight is also factored in with the weight of the Ammunition carrier and the locks. If you are carrying a few boxes of 500gr. large caliber ammo plus a few boxes of other ammunition it soon tick up to the 13 pounds. I have used for many years CHEAP large pistol cases which accept locks. They are made of lightweight PVC and I use cheap light locks to keep weight down. I remove the foam liners, manage three or 4 boxes of .470 NE and the same with .400 Grain .416 Ruger ammo and the weight is just under the 13 pounds.

We always use the Tuffpak carriers for our rifles and some of the clothes. We never travel commercially to or through Africa with a soft sided case as they get cut opened, the zippers slipped and your goodies are by by. If I am going to travel on small craft to camp we load the needed items of clothing into a soft sided case and leave the Hard Sided cases with the B & B we use in Johannesburg. They will store guns valuables and luggage in a vault for you if needed. We shall happily provide you with their Name, Address and e-mail. They are 10 minutes from Johannesburg O R Tumbo, pick you up and deliver you to any connecting flights as required. Just make certain that you do not use heavy ammo carriers to store the ammo, it is all about the magical 13 pounds weight and locks.

There is nothing in the law which mentions a word about the strength of the box or locks. Only that the box must be locked not gorrila proof.

Cheers,

Glenn

quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
Will be going on my first trip to the dark continent this summer. Does anyone have a favorite brand/type of airline approved ammo carrier?

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GOB:
Hello,

You are allowed 13 pound for ammunition.

I thought it was 11 pounds (5 kg)

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7595 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that my friend I am numerically dyslexic, I do believe the weight is correct on your part.

Respectfully,

Glenn

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have used various ammo boxes over the years, but my next one (due to the rough treatment that my current one received last June from the TSA Thugs) will be a Pelican.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Pelican is great, but I got mine from Cabelas. Silly: a plastic box with a lock that anyone can pick is just fine.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pelican # 1200 box. Cheap at $38 bucks on Epay delivered. Lockable, impact resistent, water proof etc Can be put into luggage or checked on it's own- holds my 22 rounds of 577 and 50 rounds of 375. Ready for all situations- conditions that TSA, airline personnel , travel conditions, demands etc can throw at you.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Americase makes a superb lockable ammo carrier for about $125. It is like a miniature aluminum rifle case. It will last you a lifetime.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Correction on the price of the Americase - they sell for $84.75 retail.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pelican worked well for me.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pelican.

I even use a Pelican case when taking ammo to the deer lease.

Keeps it dry and dust/dirt free.

I use Pelican cases for many things.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check this out for a Pelican 1200, no foam :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelica...D5680370598852922641

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, I have one on the way!

quote:
Originally posted by PostDriver:
Check this out for a Pelican 1200, no foam :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelica...D5680370598852922641

Dakota Traveler .458 WM

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Those are Pelican 1120's, not 1200's. The 1200 is a little bigger; may want to take another look.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GOB:
Hello,

You are allowed 13 pound for ammunition. The weight is also factored in with the weight of the Ammunition carrier and the locks.
[QUOTE]

The regulation says weight of ammunition. It does NOT say anything about the weight of the box. I have twice (Joberg) had to remove my .450NE and .416 boxes from my aluminum case for weighing but as long as they are under 11lbs everything is fine. Adding the weight of my 3 1/1 lb aluminum case to the ammo allowance is ridiculous. It counts (obviously) towards your total luggage weight but that is it.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GOB:
Hello,

You are allowed 13 pound for ammunition. The weight is also factored in with the weight of the Ammunition carrier and the locks. If you are carrying a few boxes of 500gr. large caliber ammo plus a few boxes of other ammunition it soon tick up to the 13 pounds. I have used for many years CHEAP large pistol cases which accept locks. They are made of lightweight PVC and I use cheap light locks to keep weight down. I remove the foam liners, manage three or 4 boxes of .470 NE and the same with .400 Grain .416 Ruger ammo and the weight is just under the 13 pounds.

We always use the Tuffpak carriers for our rifles and some of the clothes. We never travel commercially to or through Africa with a soft sided case as they get cut opened, the zippers slipped and your goodies are by by. If I am going to travel on small craft to camp we load the needed items of clothing into a soft sided case and leave the Hard Sided cases with the B & B we use in Johannesburg. They will store guns valuables and luggage in a vault for you if needed. We shall happily provide you with their Name, Address and e-mail. They are 10 minutes from Johannesburg O R Tumbo, pick you up and deliver you to any connecting flights as required. Just make certain that you do not use heavy ammo carriers to store the ammo, it is all about the magical 13 pounds weight and locks.

There is nothing in the law which mentions a word about the strength of the box or locks. Only that the box must be locked not gorrila proof.

Cheers,

Glenn

quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:

Glenn...excellent advice. A locked ammo box isn't gonna make a damned bit of difference to a serious baggage thief. Just hope your ammo gets there and don't waste money on Pelicans or other high end stuff.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

That was my point, I purchased the Pistol carrier on sale @ Gander Mountain for $6.00, it weighs about 1.2 pounds with two cheap and cheerful locks. I then am able to comply with the Airline regulations and carry all the .470 NE and .416 ammo easily. With no weight worries. Americase, Plano, lots of folks make lovely ammo boxes which weigh a lot cost a lot and are no more secure than the $10.00 job. If it makes one feel better to spend a lot of money and carry a box that weighs up to 4 times as much, go for the gold Bwana. In a bush plane every extra pound counts.

Cheers,

Glenn

Photobucket

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does a box of 375 HH 300gr ammo weigh? If you didn't count the container you are taking to store them in I wonder how many boxes you could take and stay under the 13 pounds?

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:
What does a box of 375 HH 300gr ammo weigh? If you didn't count the container you are taking to store them in I wonder how many boxes you could take and stay under the 13 pounds?

I weighed two boxes of .375 H&H Federal ammo and two boxes of .416 Remington Ammo and they weighed about 9.5 lbs. I'm taking 40 rounds of each and it'll make the weight requirement of 11 lbs without the carrying case.

Inside the Pelican 1200, it was 12 lbs even. Bear in mind this was simply on a bathroom scale so it might be off a few ounces.

Or hopefully several pounds when I weigh myself!
Big Grin

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was planning on taking 3 or 4 boxes of 375 and 2 boxes of 300 win mag and hope to get them in a pelican case. I have a pelican 1400 case that weighs 4lbs just to start so I might have to make another plan.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember when weighing your ammunition and carrier to add the weight of the locks to the overall weight. Also remember it there is a problem with the weight, it is their scale and their weight which counts. There is always some fuzzy TSA agent who will allow you to go ahead is the weight is close then there is the one who will try and confiscate the lot.

Photobucket

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
Americase makes a superb lockable ammo carrier for about $125. It is like a miniature aluminum rifle case. It will last you a lifetime.
Mangwana

This is what I have too. If you can pack in inside of other luggage that is even better as it is smallish and could most ceranly be left or lost. It works great in travel and on the hunt.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir,

You are absolutely correct, they are strong enough, light weight, cheap and comply with the law. The foam can be cut into strips and used as a buffer between boxes of cartridges if required. You are not transporting fresh eggs and need a 5 to 10 pound Pelican, Americase or some other gizmo that allows you to reach Africa with a fantastic case but less cartridges than you may require. Big bullets to kill big things chalk up the weight quickly, you do not need a vault to transport them, they are not eggs, you need to comply with the law.

Cheers,

Glenn

Photobucket

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ammunition ALONE may not weigh more than 5k or 11 lbs. The case, locks, etc. are not factored into that amount.

GOB you keep saying the weight of the case is factored in. That is incorrect. Go to the TSA and IATA sites as well as individual airline sites. There is no mention of overall case/ammo weight. Just the weight of the ammo.

By the way, 5 boxes (100 rounds) of 300 grain .375 H&H ammunition weighs just slightly under 11 lbs and fit perfectly in a Pelican 1200 case.

In 2009 while at OR Tambo, I saw the SAA/SAPS folks putting hunters ammo in clear plastic bags for connecting flights for those that did not have separate ammo cases such as my Pelican 1200.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Yes, what RCG said above (and what I posted 8 above that) is correct!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana check the airline regulations, have been there and done that with them. You argue with the airline and TSA agent who does say the container is weighed with the ammo and see where that gets you. Check it out.

Photobucket

one of us
posted Hide Post
What do I need to check out? I just went to the TSA and IATA sites. No mention of container weight, just ammunition.

I have had my ammo weighed twice and my headstamps checked once. In Zim this past Sept they counted my rounds in and out of the country. Every time they, TSA and UAL, weighed my ammo they took it out of the case and weighed the cartridges in their slip cover boxes.

Just because it happened to you does not mean it is the rule.

I always carry copies of TSA and the airlines I am flying on policy for firearms and ammo. Gracy Travel does this for me IIRC. In the event of a disagreement, I would politely pull out THEIR regs and show them if need be. I have never had to do this in 4 trips to Africa since 2001 and one to British Columbia in 2000.

Too bad if it happened to you but that does not mean it is they way the regulations are written or to be enforced.

Regards,

RCG

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I use these aluminum locking boxes. They hold seven 20 round plastic boxes. They work great.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Pelican 1300.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote