Find
Notify
Tools

Long layover at Gatwick
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Will be in Gatwick for 14 hours on Sept 14th, 7am till 9pm, on the way to Namibia. Any suggestions from AR members on how to spend that time?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
get a day room at the airport hotell

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know your history but if it was I my schedule would be to take two doses of double scotches plus an Ambien as soon as i could on the flight over the Atlantic. Then, in london, take a city tour, hell, hire a driver just for you-- ask your travel agent there are plenty of them.

Then, once on board and on the way south two double scotches and then another ambien. Get up in namibia fresh as a daisy and on their time.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a similar layover in Frankfurt and did essentially what nkonka advises. I think staying active during the day's layover, while a bit taxing on the system, is a much better way to adapt to the time change than holing up in some hotel room.

The advantage for an American going out and about in Germany as opposed to England is that everyone in Germany speaks English that you can understand Wink

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
by all means get out and do something but have a place to keep your stuff and grab a shower before you get back on another long plane ride plus it gives you some quiet time of blessed silence before you get cramed into another human sardine can

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I can refer you to a guy that could meet you at Gatwick, take you on a tour and could even take you to some gun shops. He is a licensed gun courier and avid hunter and I think you'd enjoy him a great deal. Let me know if you want the contact details.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12885 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ambien or not, I can't sleep on airplanes. Lifetime problem. So I'd opt for the dayrates and catch forty winks. But that's just me.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatwick is a good hour out of london by road, and at that time in the morning road travel would probably be 2 hours due to rush hour.

You could get the train from Gatwick and either go North to London, or South to Brighton.

I would reccomend London if you are just after seeing sights. Victoria can be reached in about an hour and a quarter on the mainline from Gatwick. Once at Victoria you can either get a bus or a taxi and go where you like in London.

If you are happy with public transport then you can get a travel card for less than £10 which will let you use all the buses and underground trains within london.

I would offer to try and arrange something but will only be two weeks into a new job.

If you would like any more info from a Brit then by all means p.m. or email me Smiler

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Museum of natural history and look at the worlds largest elephant tusks...

Take the train to Victoria station and a cab to the museum...

There is a bus tour you pay to get on the bus and it lets you off at the different sites and makes a circle and multiple buses and you can get on and off at your leisure... Did it with my son while he was working there..
All are marked very easy to get around...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Retreever, thanks for reminding what a great place that is.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were in Heathrow for 8 hours between fights. We paid a cabbie to take us on a tour of London and return us to the airport in time for the connection to Joburg. The cost was $200 and well with every penny. We saw all the major sights and loved every minute of it.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote