Find
Notify
Tools

Windhoek via Gatwick
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Any known problems changing from Delta to Air Namibia at Gatwick?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding (and a vague one it is) is that there is significant red tape involved in transporting firearms through Britain. If you are traveling without rifles and your purpose is to spend a few extra days in Britain, it should be no problem. If you have firearms and your only purpose is to make connecting flights, then Frankfurt probably presents fewer problems. Check with Kathi who posts here on AR. She is very informed and informative and will cheerfully advise you whether you book through her or not.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I'll just be changing airline, not airports, nor leaving the international area.

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta has a baggage agreement with Air Namibia.
So you will check your bags from the states through to Windhoek, show Delta your Air Namibia tickets at check in.

Make sure Delta and Air Namiba has in their records that you are traveling with Sporting Weapons.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9393 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Steve,
be absolutely sure of that, never heard that Air Namibia flies by Gatwick, always heard that it flies from Heathtrow. If you land to Gatwick, don't bring the rifle scopes in your hand baggage, is forbidden.

If it is possible, land to Frankfurt, it is a really hunter friendly airport.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta flies from Atlanta and JFK to Gatwick

Air Namibia flies from Gatwick to Windhoek on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Then from WDH to Gatwick on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9393 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Kathi, thanks so much.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Glad to see Kathi got you straightened out. My expereinces flying through Gatwick or Heathrow have been very simple.

Stonecreek

Gun probems and lots of red tapes in connection with your guns and the UK is simply not a reality. This has been an urban legend for sometime now and an amazing amount of people believe this but they don't really know anyone who had a problem. I'm not singling you out but I'm tired of hearing the same old vague warnings based on nothing.

The only thing that makes the UK different is that if you do have to change airports from Gatwick to Heathrow or visa versa or if you are laying over in the UK you will need to enlist the assistance of a licensed gun courier. He will require one piece of paper with your contact info, gun info and airline schedule. That is the total paperwork. There are several of these services and I have used 3 and all did a great job. Yes they do charge a fee but they also are a great help with luggage recovery and check in.

I have experienced no negative attitudes or unhelpful people in connections with my guns in several trips through UK nor do I know of any clients who had any difficulty.

Given the current state of the "War on Terror" the UK keeps particulrly good track of firearms in your luggage. These days your guns getting misdirected in the UK are highly unlikely and British Air has the best record of any airline servicing Africa in the delivery of firearms.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12904 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing will be on your return as on your outgoing you need the permission of the Captain to have your guns aboard no big deal if flight from Windhoek to London is with out changing planes i e not thru Joberg.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
if you do have to change airports from Gatwick to Heathrow or visa versa or if you are laying over in the UK you will need to enlist the assistance of a licensed gun courier. He will require one piece of paper with your contact info, gun info and airline schedule.

Thanks for making my vague understanding more specific. Now I specifically understand that there is "signficant red tape" involved.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you think that is significant red tape, ask a Canadian what he has to do to transit the USA with a firearm.

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulcinea:
If you think that is significant red tape, ask a Canadian what he has to do to transit the USA with a firearm.
Dulcinea

Right you are! The U.S. has to be one of the most difficult for a non-citizen to deal with firearms issues. Customs, TSA, and the whole lot of them make sure that legitimate sportsmen from other countries find it nearly impossible to import or transit with firearms. They would prefer that foreigners simply leave their guns and home and buy off of the street once they arrive, just like the natives.

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Mark,
If all my info evolved in metropolitan legends, well I'm happy. I have only the doubt about the possibility to carry rifle optics in the hand baggage.
I was however thinking in the philosophy "if something does not exist, it won't broke". Wink

Kathi,
Thank you for the info, i'll take in considerationalso this possibility in the future.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I don't know if there is a problem with the rifle scopes in the carry on luggage. I've always carried my scopes in the rifle case. Otherwise transiting the UK with firearms is quite easy.

The point I was trying to make with my post was that there is no reason to avoid the UK when traveling with guns if your best routing is through there. I think that some folks expect the Brits to be very difficult to deal with as far as guns go but that could not be further from the truth. You have procedures to deal with as in any foriegn country but as long as you follow those procedures you'll have no problems.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12904 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote