THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Bolt Action 30 Carbine for Training My Grandkids
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Action 30 Carbine for Training My Grandkids
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know the 30 carbine is an awful cartridge by somne people's standards. That considers accuracy and knockdown standpoint, and that it's main rifle is the U.S. Military carbine.
I have one of the military carbine rifles and a bunch of ammo. Its fun to plink with, inexpensive to shoot, not hard to reload, and has enough kick to get the respect of a young shooter.
I believe that a nice bolt action in 30 carbine would be unique and a great cartridge for training a yound shooter.
I have 6 grand-daughters and after they learn proper shooting with a 22 rimfire, I think the 30 carbine would be a fun caliber for them to learn some competition skills.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
cheaper to find something in 7.62x39 ... i imagine the recoil would be about the same...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, for less than $20 you have the gas piston deactivated and have a straight pull rifle. Return to semi is no problem. The procedure is outlined in Carbine Handbook by Paul Wahl. Send me your address and I will send you a copy of the article.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it can be done, but it will lead to a level of frustration .. if you reload, just go ahead with a 308 based gun and a remington model 7 youth ... 243, 260, 708, 308 .. the 308 will give you the ability to load some wickedly accurate loads for them .. and trailboss powder will let you load em slow!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38515 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would get a .223.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
As jim said the 7.62x39 is a lot of fun, and the CZ 527 is a small rifle. Trail boss or SR 4759 makes nice reduced loads for this one. Here's your rifle: http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=162403428

Also, I like Jeff's suggestion re the 308, which makes nice reduced loads with several powders, including 4198, 4895, Trail Boss, and SR 4759. Plus this cartridge has a multitude of other uses, and I think managed recoil factory ammo is avaliable. There are youth rifles available in the 308, ready made with the shorter stock. This choice is almost a no-brainer, it's so obviously good.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=162413828
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=161404145

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What I've been doing for my 7 year old is I cut down a 6.5x55 Swede stock and have him shoot reduced loads in it, he is excited cuz he is shooting a big gun (he calls it his hog rifle!) and it is easy for him to handle with the reduced powder charge and 100 grain bullets. As he gains size I will boost up the loads to suit him all the while he is getting used to "his" rifle and not switching rifles.
Other methods are great too however this is working for us.
Good luck with your girls!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about the CZ in 7.62x39 is you can load them some low powered learning practice loads, and when they are trained full power loads can be used to deer/hog hunt, and they will be using the same rifle they trained with.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also let me add that I have killed two deer at @80/85 yards with the 7.62x39, and it worked great.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A carbine IS a great little center fire to start kids on. Biggest problem in making a bolt rifle to fit it would be feeding. Yackley's suggestion of blocking off the gas piaton and nothing else at this time is the way I would go.

Kids grow too fast for making them anything more complex and expensive. Just use the "bolt actioned" M1 to prepare them for a Rem Md. 7 or a Browning Micro Medallion later, that's something they won't out grow.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I have seen production 30 carbine bolt actions, Savage I believe.

Here is one in a lever action

here

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just picked up one of the Ruger Compact 7.62x39 with a nice piece of wood on it. LIttle more heft to it than the CZ but not objectionable by any means.

Shoots everything I have run into it sub moa and my 110 TSX handloads in lapua brass are running less than 0.5 inch at 100y. No bedding, no tinkering just load and go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another alternative since you already have a supply of 30Carbine and the ability to reload them is to look at a Thompson Center Contender or Encore with a 30 Carbine barrel. No issue of converting an existing rifle that may or may not feed properly. You have the safety of a single shot with new shooters and as they get better the plethora of TC barrel choices for the frame.

Posts: 49 | Location: Maine | Registered: 17 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A cooper M38 in 30 carbine would be a nice way to go. It seems like bolt actions are either sized for rimfire or 308 and bigger. The little cooper is about the only one I've seen that would be the right size for the 30 carbine. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 7.62x39 is great. I have a 270x39 improved that I built on a mini mauser. It is just accurate and very little recoil. Do not do a muzzle brake on a small rifle. The noise is worse on the kids than the recoil. You need excellent ear protection.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote