Find
Notify
Tools

Stuart Satterlee Actions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I am thinking of inquiring with him about a double square bridge .375 H&H Mauser with Talley Bases cut into the Bridges and an integral bolt handle. Any input would be appreciated...

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy one if it did not require a deposit.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the best way to go about this is to call Stuart and speak with him.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a whole Forum search for "satterlee" and there are a number of threads on the matter.Our Forum member TRAX may be worth a private message for his input?

Whilst "trial by forum" and the Salem witch trials are sometimes too close for comfort the input of others can help direct a decision.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How old are you?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have a few in the white. I might let go. 416, 404, & a 375. I'm not too sure how to tell if it has an integral bolt or not. They are all double square bridged with no cuts. And I would agree with the others. I would not ever order one again unless it was finished and he had it in stock. The workmanship is incredible but plan on adding 3 years or so to whatever the stated wait time is.

Mac

Posts: 1724 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lindy2 I hope you get well in God's speed.
There is a lot of wisdom and validity in your thoughts.
Purchasing an action already built that suits your needs, trumps all other decisions. Such as the ones offered above. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
How old are you?

Smart man archer

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
quote:
Why not just use a letter of credit with a bank or an escrow agreement?

That could work too. But I think that you need someone who can look the action over and proclaim it as being within specs. I think a mutual acquaintance, or God forbid, a lawyer. Big Grin

I'm sorry if it has to be that complicated I would look elsewhere. If I was set on a Satterlee action then I would buy it 2nd hand or purchase it C.O.D. Stuart makes a nice action, but there are several other options. Been there done that.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would order one, if I were under thirty. I would expect a couple false starts, and hope to have the action by time I turned thirty-five...

And, definitely C.O.D.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Martini/Satterlee Lott should be completed in the following months.Once in my hands I will let you know what this action is like compared to all the others I've used including the Vektor Ralf Martini built for me.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post

So bottom is 375 then 404 and 416 on top.

Then it should be 416 on the left then 404 and right 375.

This is one of his titanium actions below. You mentioned that you wanted talley cuts. I would have him do something that looks nicer than this. I picked this up second hand but I always thought these dovetails looked goofy. This rifle does not have iron sights so its scope stays on all the time.

Mac

Posts: 1724 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Those white actions look a little messy because I have them coated with rig grease.

Mac

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Enjoyed talking with you until we got cut off. Will look forward to the other pictures by e-mail when you get a chance...

Regards, Matt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does ANYTHING compare to a Hartmann & Weiss? How do the Satterlees compare when properly finished? I know Darcy uses those on the larger cartridge Classics. Though I have been tempted to allow them to do the entire rifle... Different cost structure unfortunately.

Regards, Matt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt in Virginia:
Does ANYTHING compare to a Hartmann & Weiss? How do the Satterlees compare when properly finished? I know Darcy uses those on the larger cartridge Classics. Though I have been tempted to allow them to do the entire rifle... Different cost structure unfortunately.

Regards, Matt.

I'm told F.Z.H. compares favourably to H&W, but they should since they make H&W's actions for them. Roger Green imports them in the U.S. Ralph Martini is your man in Canada.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
Thank you Sir... Ask and you shall learn.

Regards, Matt.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Fanzoi titaniums are Satterlee actions

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Is that New Guys old rifle?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't New Guy's a Ti actioned one,TiN coated like mine?

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought yours was Ti also. New Guys had the Oeerlikon PVD WCC coating and a syn. stock also. I have handled it and cycled the bolt. It was incredibly smooth.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lindy2:
I agree with the CC option, but check with your CC company first because some of them have a limit of time that you can do a charge back. Not sure if the 3-5 year time frame for one of these actions would qualify.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
FZH are really nice actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bad ,it was WCC.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
FZH are really nice actions.

We need to support American companies if we want them to support us.

I try to support American Companies when I can. If I had the money to build a full on magnum mauser, I would PERSONALY insist on using an action as close as possible to the specs of pre-war Oberndorf, and build a very close approximation of a pre-war British or German gun. The available american magnums are well made, but do not inspire me one bit. No American maker really comes close, but FZH is not far off.
Phil Shoemaker recently did and article in one of the Wolfe Publishing mags about a Joe Smithson mauser in 9.3x62, based on a Granite Mountain version of a G33/40. I like that, and would pay for that if I had that kind of money. the point is, while American made magnum mauser's are more plentiful than ever, these makers aren't meeting everyone's needs/wants/desires. I agree that we should all buy American when we can, but if you want a rolls royce, you're not going to find it being build in Cincinnati (At least not yet, anyway).

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stuart builds an action damn near worthy of art as its description.
As you've likely read, time to receive has been been the issue.

If you can wait, or better yet if he's changed his delivery time, it's damn near impossible to find something better.

They are wonderful.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran into a guy at Safari Club that told me he thought Satterlee was dead. Turns out he gave Satterlee a thousand dollars down on an action 6 yrs. ago.
2 yrs. ago he tried to contact him because he hadn't heard anything in so long. Nobody ever answered the phone and nobody from Satterlee's has contacted this man in 6 yrs.!!!
A friend of mine urged him to try and contact him again.
When someone starts talking about we should 'buy American' in conjunction with Satterlee...I want to puke. I wonder how many people he has screwed?

Lindy, I wish you great success with your treatment.
Sincerely,
Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What happened when he did?
Was there a written contract?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What happened when he did?
Was there a written contract?

Do I need to hire a lawyer to draw up a contract, just so I can buy a action? I don't get it......guess I'm a little slow.

As Adam posted, Satterlee does create a excellent product, but that alone won't keep a business afloat.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
guess I'm a little slow.

B.S. Your a very successful and very well respected person, financially and otherwise, and you didn't get there by being slow. Moreover, you know damn well you don't need to hire a lawyer to form a contract.

I am sure that you have worked under hundreds and hundreds of contracts in your life, whether they were oral or written. Most very successful people actually have worked under contracts (part of what made them successful). Oral contracts are valid. Its just that the person who is doing the complaining is usually the one who forgot what the terms of the contract were.

Who waits 4 years to call about a deal? I know you wouldn't!!! I wouldn't either. As I said before, I have been to Mr. Satterlees's on a few occasions. He is a very nice man. I'd go there again and politely try to figure out what needed to be done next, and if he was too busy to complete my work I'd ask for a refund.

I understand what its like to lose $1000.00. I have had people walk out on me for $13,000, $8,000, a few for $5,000, etc. But I wouldn't try to run them out of business by telling everyone not to do business with them. I just need to be smarter next time and take a credit card! And buyers need to do the same.

K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Satterlie was shipped as soon as my check cleared. I do know a couple folks that are unhappy and I believe them, maybe I was lucky.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have had people walk out on me for $13,000, $8,000, a few for $5,000, etc. But I wouldn't try to run them out of business by telling everyone not to do business with them.
And that's how those sorts of people get away with it and go on to cheat and defraud even more people. Don't believe me? Well we have to look no further than AR to find examples of people being cheated because they didn't know about the bad experiences of others.

Here are a couple:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2100588/m/9151009461

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../9411043/m/723108618

It wouldn't take long to come up with several more.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Lindy -

A person who steals is a thief. A person who lies is liar. A person who misleads is dishonest. A man who takes a deposit for something but never delivers the goods and never returns the deposit is a crook.

The blame for their actions does not rest on you just because you were not successful in avoiding those people.

Further:

If someone only steals sometimes he is still a thief.
If someone only lies sometimes he is still a liar.
If someone only misleads some people, or only misleads people some of the time, he is still dishonest.
And a man who takes a deposit for something but never delivers the goods and never returns the deposit is a crook even if he only does that to some people some of the time.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
guess I'm a little slow.

B.S. Your a very successful and very well respected person, financially and otherwise, and you didn't get there by being slow. Moreover, you know damn well you don't need to hire a lawyer to form a contract.

I am sure that you have worked under hundreds and hundreds of contracts in your life, whether they were oral or written. Most very successful people actually have worked under contracts (part of what made them successful). Oral contracts are valid. Its just that the person who is doing the complaining is usually the one who forgot what the terms of the contract were.

Who waits 4 years to call about a deal? I know you wouldn't!!! I wouldn't either. As I said before, I have been to Mr. Satterlees's on a few occasions. He is a very nice man. I'd go there again and politely try to figure out what needed to be done next, and if he was too busy to complete my work I'd ask for a refund.

I understand what its like to lose $1000.00. I have had people walk out on me for $13,000, $8,000, a few for $5,000, etc. But I wouldn't try to run them out of business by telling everyone not to do business with them. I just need to be smarter next time and take a credit card! And buyers need to do the same.

K

lindy2,

I didn't understand "what" your agenda was with your posts on this thread. Then it was pointed out to me that you are really.....22WRF.......now I understand. Your agenda is the same as always......just to stir the pot. I guess the 2 bit lawyer business is a little slow in Minnesota and you have nothing better to do.

I'm calling a spade-a-spade and I'm done with you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC

You are entitled to your ad hominem opinion.
Have a nice day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I told you guys before, Don't feed the trolls. This guy is a wannabe of the most serious kind., He has been trolling these sites for years and you just keep encouraging him.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fwiw & imho,
Contracts are all fine and well, however, they are no better than your desire to pay a lawyer, or firm, to enforce that contract. If Stuart has little or nothing to lose he may be hard to nail down... Legally speaking. I've not found contracts to be the iron clad little instruments they are being portrayed as... If you are in the driver's seat in all circumstances outside of the contract, and the other party has significant collateral to lose, it may pay. However, it is only one tool of suggestion for lack of a better term. If they have used a firewall corp to acquire what you are selling there is likely fairly little behind the scenes to be attached. Often they've been through this dance before... In short I would find someone with a history of completing their business dealings with others... Past history is still your best indicators of future performance. Deal with a better class of craftsmen if you can't trust your current choice. One thing I have found is that there is NO shortage of talented rifle smiths, who value their name, and the Germans are evidently still making one hell of a Magnum Mauser...

Regards, Matt.