THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    The Highland Stalker - New Build - Photos Added
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Highland Stalker - New Build - Photos Added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a new gun that we are adding to our product line this year. I'll be posting regular updates as we make progress. Here's the first photos in the series. The rifle is a .275 Rigby ordered by a client in Texas.

Posts: 131 | Location: London | Registered: 30 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Highland Stalker was designed by one of our gunsmiths. He does a lot of stalking in the Scottish highlands. It's designed to be lighter than our traditional rifles. No iron sights. More along the lines of a mountain rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see any bottom metal in the picture. Will this be a blind magazine?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There will be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful piece of wood. Turkish walnut?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Rigby & Co.:
The Highland Stalker was designed by one of our gunsmiths. He does a lot of stalking in the Scottish highlands. It's designed to be lighter than our traditional rifles. No iron sights. More along the lines of a mountain rifle.

Mr.Porter,

When I think of lighter 7mm rifles, the small ring variants of Std.length 98, Intermediate and Kurz come to mind.

I believe Rigby once produced small ring Oberndorf mauser based sporting rifles.

However, apart from the Kurz length, I dont know of any relaible source for new manufacture HQ small ring mauser actions in Std or Intermediate length.

It looks like you have gone with a HQ LR Prechtl action. I gather your smith has figured that it will still allow him to achieve his preferred weight.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neat looking project.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Yes indeedy, looking forward to following this one through.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's an update on the stock pictured above...

This is a picture of the prototype. I hunted stag in the Scottish Highlands with it last week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That is a bit of a tease. Some more pics please without the detail hidden by long grass and obscure angles.

B von Gruff

As was Von Gruff.
Joshua 1:9 Acts 4:10-12.

A 404 and a 7x57. All a man needs anywhere, anytime. ever.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are the pictures that I have at the moment.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful example of workmanship. I look forward to seeing it at DSC.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BVG, here are a couple more pictures that I took with my iPhone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great. The bipod on a Rigby looks a bit out of the ordinary, but looks fine just the same.

Thanks for posting those.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Looks great. The bipod on a Rigby looks a bit out of the ordinary, but looks fine just the same.

Thanks for posting those.

Agreed but the scope looks worse! Nice rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely lovely rifle, however I have to agree with the posters above me. Bipod and that leica spaceship on top is like having a beef tenderloin sprayed with nutella and perhaps jam on top!

Id go with either a Zeiss Victory or perhaps a Kahles KXi for a more sobre look, and a soft rest-pillow in the backpack in lieu of the bipod..axel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope is simply one that we had at the shop that Leica has given us as a demo. I agree that a smaller scope would be more aesthetically appealing, but that's the one we had available. It is a very nice scope! As far as the bipod goes, I'm not an expert Scottish stag hunter, but from my experience, it was very practical and easily removed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it just me but the stock on the rifle pictured with the scope on doesn`t look like it came from the blank pictured above.Anyways,I like the rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The finished gun in the pictures is the prototype. The stock blank in the first post is the one in the picture being shaped and also with the Corbett rifle. Does that make sense? I'll post more pictures of the work in progress rifle as the project moves forward. I didn't mean to cause any confusion by posting pictures from last week in Scotland.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice hill stag also.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle!

posted Hide Post
Hi all. I am newly registered but a long time follower of the forum on custom guns. Can not wait for followup photos. Will be giving some of my own progress photos on single shot action i am making from Bohler M201 steel.

Posts: 3 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 11 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loving looking rifle. Who made those mounts - I have something very similar on my Heym SR20 which was originally sold new by Rigbys when it was in Great Suffolk street and then to me when it previous owner traded it in.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle but a stalking rifle needs a stalking scope. Not some quasi-tactical, over powered and over sized long range "sniping" scope.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone do anything with the scraps of those beautiful stock blanks ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
458Win do you ever read the whole of the string before commenting?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Yes I do
If a man wants to order a Rigby "stalking" rifle and put the largest scope on it he can find - or even paint it - it is his rifle.
Like everyone else here I was simply stating my opinion.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JR&Co stated it was a scope they had in the shop and he just used it on the spur of the moment for the hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've ordered a new Swarovski Z6i 1.7x10x42 BT 4Ai that it will be wearing shortly.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Seriously, all this concern over the scope this rifle is wearing?

Whatever works best for the owner is what's best for the rifle.

Funny that in this case it was just an expedient to get the rifle afield.

Beautiful rifle, you wouldn't have to twist my arm to get me to agree to take it, even with that scope, lol.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Another beauty.
Would be interesting to have a custom carbon fiber stock made for it.
Make a mold from the wood stock.
Paint it with brush from the highland where it will be used.
If it was bad weather or just to protect the wood stock the synthetic could do the rough work of crawling around on hands and knees not to mention being about a pound or so lighter.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kent,,,,i like the lines and the bolt shoulder of the gun that you are making with the double sqaurebridge ,,....the scoped rifle looks too americanized ,the sculpted bolt release area ,and the bolt shoulder look like a lot of typical rifles , i understand that it is a plain rifle but i think it needs a little more to set it apart from what else is out there,this is just my personal opinion ,
the double sqaure bridge rifle looks real nice but will the extra wieght of the 2 square bridges come in to play ,the 275 on your website looks real nice ,i really like the rigby style scope mount ,keep up the pics and good work....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

seen this on line its an old rigby with a new twist ,looks something like what your building the forend is like the original but with horn ,,stock looks like turkish ?...paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to see the serial number to know when the original rifle was built. The only thing original on that gun is the action (if it's a Rigby) and the stock, not the forend. Everything about that rifle screams late 20th Century. The bolt is wrong for 1920, the scope mounts are wrong, the barrel is wrong and the forend tip is wrong. The stock looks more of the 50's era shape to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

kent,,i lifted these pics of the irish gun trader site ,,it states that the gun was sent back to rigby about 15 years ago for a new barrel,,is that BSA bottom metal too??? looks like roberts modernized it ,,not collectable anymore,but i do like the lines of it ,,the pics on that site are horrible tho.....paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It probably had military style bottom metal on it originally.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And here is the finished product. The customer wanted his prized whitetail deer on the floorplate. I think it came out nicely.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
handsome but sadly tarted up with that giant scope. to each his own I suppose...

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first Highland Stalker that I posted with the new scope. Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42. The second rifle wears a Z3 3-10x42. You can pick the scope of your choice when your order. To each his own.