THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Who is the best engraver in the world?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is the best engraver in the world?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
Philippe Grifnee?
Damn! I just read that he is dead. The best engraving I have seen I think.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27598 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manrico Torcoli.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Depends on the style you're after. I love Phil Coggans work.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
There are several I would consider among the best. A few post on this site and will be mentioned, no doubt.

But one you hear little about is Angelo Bee. He has a distinctive style and has carved on countless Winchesters, Ithacas, and Remingtons. He loves gold and silver but he also engraves without inlay work.

SKB has been offering Angelo Bee engraved shotguns for some time. Here is a link to their "Angelo Bee Gallery": https://www.skbshotguns.com/an...gelo-bee-gallery.php

The internet makes it easy to find his other work, a few shown below.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam Welch,Hans Eisbacher,Rabeno-three of the best whose work I have seen. Also Winston Churchill.Heinz Funk was another.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger Kehr who post here regularly.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Churchill, and some of the folks at Beretta. I handled a few SO10's that blew my mind.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Some of Phil Coggan's work. Shows how capable he is at many different types of engraving:

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
Some of Phil Coggan's work.
That is some amazing detail in the animals and Nelson

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I realize it's not exactly on topic, but Philippe Grifnée's brother Leon is a rifle stocker. He did my 9.3 X 62.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...141011081#7141011081

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Aaron. It is a very personal thing.

There are some fabulous US, British and European engravers. I have a few books on them.

TO pick a favourite would be very hard.

Also depends on the type of firearm, knife etc. and the context.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/nina-kaiser/7a/6b0/a33

Nina is really good. Ferlach and Suhl graduate ex-Beretta and Merkel engraver.

Red hair so be warned!

She is probably the equal of anyone in the world as an engraver.
http://www.stankus-arts.de/ueber-mich.html

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a nice overview of gun engraving:Italian-Nobili's books;British-Tate's British Gun Engraving(predjudiced!)

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Depends entirely on what you want, style, game scenes, etc. The best engraving ever is being done today. 2 good ones in the USA I have used are www.gournetusa.com & www.resengraving.com but there are others. Extensive engraving can cost many thousands. It is much cheaper to have top engraving done in Italy or Belgium if you know the mechanics of exporting/importing.
Current list of FEGA master engravers: FEGAengravers

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Coggan's work is amazing. His ability to create a sense of depth is unparalleled.
Ken Hurst is a very good engraver, if he is still with us. He had a lot of fun resurrecting the "Frogmoor Ballard" whimsical motifs of the late Victorian era.

http://www.assra.com/ballard_frogmoor.htm

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16389 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My good friend Roland Baptiste is often chosen by the finest gunmakers in the UK and Belgium for his work. Holland and Holland, Rigby, Lebeau Courally, Fernand-Marc Corman (both in his own name and on the new Francottes which he is allowed to build), and several other prestigious names commission his art. There are few nicer people to talk to, as well, and Roland is well liked in the business as an instructor of engraving who has mentored many younger people and helped them succeed in this field.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be some older Italian woman you've never heard of.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
RichardAustin: Could be some older Italian woman you've never heard of.
Quite possible. Friend who owns a high-end shop here showed me a Browning Superposed he sent to Italy for extensive engraving, gold inlays, the whole 9 yards. As nice as any work I have seen, cost him $4K, still a lot of money but a small fraction of the cost of similar work from most "name" engravers.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Philippe Grifnee?
Damn! I just read that he is dead. The best engraving I have seen I think.

MR.MASKAYEV

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
You're being to broad in your statements concerning British engravers. The generic house engravers are far from great, but there are a few British engravers that are outstanding. Rashed being one of them if you like his sculpted/deep relief style. I don't see much else from him?

Ive also seen house engravers from other countries that were of the same level as British house engravers.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Steve Lindsay does mostly knives, but has done some work on guns. I don't own any of his work (wish I did) but his photos show that He is pretty damn good!

http://www.engravingartist.com/guns/guns_copy(4).html

Phil Coggan likes Steve Lindsay's tools.
http://www.airgraver.com/PhilCoggan.htm

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I really like Jim Whites engraving. His work is spectacular. He has done several rifles and pistols for me. I couldn't be happier with his work.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
You're being to broad in your statements concerning British engravers. The generic house engravers are far from great, but there are a few British engravers that are outstanding. Rashed being one of them if you like his sculpted/deep relief style. I don't see much else from him?

Ive also seen house engravers from other countries that were of the same level as British house engravers.

MR.MASKAYEV

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to
Roger Kehr aka ScrollCutter. I am fortunate to own some of his work.

And Roland Baptiste whose work I greatly admire!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, that is fantastic engraving.

I was going to vote for Eric Gold. I saw his engraving about ten years ago and thought it was spectacular, but don't even know if he is in the business any longer.

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with the likes of Phil Coggin and Roland Bapise being included in the list, both produce work nothing short of exquisite.
You also have Barry Lee Hand, who produces work that is amazingly innovative, especially on mother of pearl inlay.
But there is no such person who could be classified as the best in the world, I believe these people as well as many others, produce work that would be described as world class.
An interesting thought is, what constitutes a great engraver.
An engraver who produces their work with the hammer and chisel or the engraver who uses a power assisted system.
Old school or new school, does it even matter, or does the end justify the means, and who cares?

Posts: 1 | Location: Marulan NSW Australia | Registered: 07 November 2015Reply With Quote