Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. What type of wood is the forend tip?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
fabulous!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
THANKS! the tip is iron wood, it was a real orangy piece so it went well with this piece of bastogne

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Rifle!

What did you do for the magazine box in this case?

Do you fabricate cartridge specific boxes?

Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
I started with the sunny hill bottom metal $450 Andy told me it was for a 500j but he must have just meant the length was enough because it would not feed, maybe if i spent a year trying so I just gave up and built my own box.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
My dream rifle is to have a whole stock made of Ironwood.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
IF you dont mind me asking, how expensive of a build is this?

Me and a buddy was in the process of a building a 50 caliber rifle and then the brass maker wants a little too much for our wallets so we both have Mauser VZ24 actions that need a caliber installed. And Im betting that a brass purchase for the Jeffery would be alot cheaper than the one we was trying for.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Hi Brando

500 Jeffery brass is expensive

Midway has them 20 pieces for $135
That is $6.75 a piece!

The belted RUM case is $3.60 a piece.

The Jeffery is known for three things
Nostalgia
Good performance on game
Takes a great smith to get to feed.

The belted RUM will not have much feeding issues if made from a RUM based donor gun.

The bullets for .500" can be much cheaper.

What you spend in brass you will make up in bullets if you like to shoot a lot.

If you want into the 1/2" category the 500 Kill All (I changed the name from 500 Max) is not that bad.

If you want to save about $2 a case and and just headspace off the extractor there is the 500 MDM but you need a CRF action long enough for for it. You can do a search for the 500 MDM. There is also the 500 B&M designed for the short action Winchester gun that will be fine for an intermediate length Mauser but also an extractor based headspace cart.

Thank you for your service patriot

http://www.midwayusa.com/brows...*652***670***9013***

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
We was going to go with the 500 Max but after talking with brass supplier its going to cost $1800 for a 500 piece minimum order. That is just a bit too much for what we are wanting to put into this rifle, but we also want to get into the 50 caliber world.

Another idea is up i the air right now with the 470 AR so maybe that might have to do till my wallet gets a better flow of income.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I love my 470 AR
You will too.

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I love my 470 AR
You will too.

What kind of performance are you gng out of it? Or do you got a thread where you done some handloads or the build?

One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
A rifle like this is $5000.00 I can build ammo for you at a reasonable price, but brass is about $100 per 20. I have used both jamison and bertram and like both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen this on gunbroker I believe too havent' I? while I prefer exposed crossbolts I think that other than that this is a lovely rifle, and seems like 5k isn't a bad deal at all.

did you have the action heat treated? did you make the front site or is it off the shelf and you adapted it?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not as nice as my 600 OK that Mike did for Safarikid, but for $5K, you won't get any better than that!

Posts: 20094 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No recoil pad. Bijou, you are a brave man.

Good hunting.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
An interesting treatment on the rear bridge. There are some on here who would say that shouldn't be done because the rear portion of the extractor was meant to be hidden by the rear bridge. I like it anyway!!!

I looked at pre-war 404 and 500 Jeff's at a collectors show, and both had the rear bridge cut back to expose the rear of the extractor. It just seems to be how Jeffery did it. I like the look of exposed or enclosed, but prefer the look of enclosed just a little.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote