New
Find
Notify
Tools

very nice by hearmann and weiss
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I like the first one, might be the ticket to get one now instead of waiting the 2 years I still have to wait.... what do you guys think?

the second one is just too much

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100200470

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100254635

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Follow your heart

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Other than the H&W name, the first rifle does absolutely nothing for me. I'd gladly wait the two years for a classic H&W before I'd settle for that ugly beast today.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I don't like No. 1.

I would prefer a Maserati to No. 2, but I do like it, or to be more precise, them. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you buy, take a look at the Heym Express Bolt Rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patricio Gaudiano:

...the second one is just too much

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100254635

Ralf Martini can build you a T/D switch [2] barrel H&W magnum mauser,..for much less than $120K.
He has a good relationship with the lads at H&W....You have options;

-Get a plain action from H&W...and let Ralf do the rest.
-Get a barrelled T/d action from H&W[in the white]..and let Ralf do the rest.

Ive found Ralfs t/d thread fit-lock up, to be superior to that done by H&W,GMA and others.
For top grade T/d work involving buttress or square type thread forms,.. I would definitely select Ralf.

Not long ago, Ralf had a new H&W actioned .416Rigby takedown[stocked and in the white] available for under $30k.

Now figure in $ for:
Ralfs finishing work on stock and metal,
an xtra barrel/forend with o/sights,
two scopes & claw rings,
engraving,
bluing,
Marvin Huey case.

Total:.... still way way less than $120K.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The listing for the second rifle states "never assembled", yet, there are photos of the rifle assembled. Kinda puts their reputation in doubt, ya think!

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
I think we need Bieb's input on this one Wink

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first rifle is mine. I picked it up as a trade from Ralf Martini a year or so ago. Finding any H&W under $20K is a rare occurrence. This one is built on a German Weatherby (Sauer) action, is 100% engraved by C Hunt, has fitted claw mounts and German 3x9x50 scope, and is chambered in the 9.3x64 Brenneke, the near equivalent of a 375 Wby. Hartmann & Weiss used actions from other manufacturers until they started making their own in-house Model 98 variant.

As some have astutely (?) pointed out, yes...I too would prefer a new H&W built on their own action, much as I would prefer a new Holland & Holland Royal double rifle to a Merkel, but at 1/15th the price ($8,000 vs $120,000) this one suited me fine.

I'd sell it for $7,995 shipped to any AR member that would like to own a Hartmann & Weiss.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can t see how they [CS] can price that switch barrel at $120k.

I handled a t/d H&W magnum mauser in Reno a few yrs ago that was color case hardened with open sights. no engraving, about $28k.

..an xtra barrel, engraving/gold inlay, two scopes & claw rings, fitted case,...for an additional $90k??

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dorleac and dorleac ,,just as nice for 1/8 of the money...paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the second one--Connecticut Shotgun's prices on everything are generally 2-3 times the going rate.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The second one is quite nice if you get rid of the gold scrolling.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some pix of the Hartmann & Weiss. You can see it is rifle #2, part of a set. I know Griffin & Howe has a contact at H&W, but I've never pursued the "provenance" of this rifle.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call me a philistine, but the first one does nothing for me either. If I wanted an ego rifle, I'd go see Ralf.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are nice and I am sure they function great.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Did anyone spot the fourleafed clover Wink.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL....good catch!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the first one, for the price of the second one I could get 4 or 5 from some of the other top gun builders whom I really respect and admire. Or better, a beautiful matched set and spend the rest on some fabulous hunting.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red, Germanic (German and Austrian) rifles are certainly an acquired taste, particularly those out of the Ferlach houses. Look at the Mannlicher-Schoenauers of the 60s, with the huge over-the-comb cheekpieces. In addition to odd checkering patterns, Germanic guns go beyond that and use the wood as a slate on which to carve oakleaf patterns or hunting scenes. That aside, most are exquisitely crafted and very accurate firearms.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The second one is a really nice rifle. I have seen it in person.

Tony turned down $50k at the SCi show; he had it in his booth

The H&W guys will duplicate it for about $65k, quoting 18 months

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote