THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Do open sights impact long range accuracy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do open sights impact long range accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to build a 300 H&H and I'd like to have open sights on the rifle. I've had 3 different people advise me not add open sights because they negatively effect long range accuracy. Is this true??

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Yes, open sights will completely ruin the accuracy of your 300H&H --- right?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only if they are using the iron sights and not the scope--

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And what else did the witch doctors say? :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

It could be a single bullet hole without those open sights, you'll never know Big Grin
Very nice setup and group tu2

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to be a hardened open sight shooter for this task-a very rare breed,IMO.Come to think of it I am getting old and need an apprentice.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
I'm looking to build a 300 H&H and I'd like to have open sights on the rifle. I've had 3 different people advise me not add open sights because they negatively effect long range accuracy. Is this true??

say what?

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
They greatly improve accuracy when you have to take a busted scope off.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not unless you run a sight base screw into the bore! Big Grin

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't they mess up barrel harmonics?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mess up? Change yes. Take a nice shooting barrel then add sights you will change up your harmonics.

So you would need to work a new accurate load. The harmonics don't change shot to shot. I sure some would argue that extra weight on the end of a light barrel might reduce harmonics. Not sure on that one but they will change.

Seems to me that Winchester and Browning sold a set up to allow you to move a muzzle brake back and forth to tune your barrel harmonics to your load.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:

That's what I've read.

Regardless, what do you plan on hunting? How far do you plan on shooting? Therein lies your answer.

I only have open sights on my Rigby and 375 H&H (as back ups), my 22 LR and my .44 lever action hog guns.

All my other rifles don't have need them.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys I'm kidding!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:

I'd find the explanation interesting. If it were me, I'd use a peep sight for anything longer than 100 yards (all of my rifles with irons have peep sights, one of them under a scope with quick-release mounts).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14386 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

Nice group and very nice rifle. What was the distance?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier....that is one lovely rifle and in a great cartridge....obviously accurate too! You are indeed fortunate....and I am a mite green with envy...not covetousness....a good kind of envy. wow...

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
craigster - That was 100 yds. Not every group I shoot with that rifle ends up quite that good. If you examine the name of the file, you will see it was the "best group of the day".

I was just trying to make the point that rifles, 300H&H rifles specifically, can be accurate regardless of whether or not they have open sights. It becomes a question of what sort of accuracy you really need versus the practicality of having open sights.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only if you aim with them!
dancing

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the sights are loose and wobble back and forth the rifle will shoot erratic groups! I diagnosed this problem on a friend's rifle, which had accuracy issues....until we tightened the sights! I ran into the same issue with a friend's loose muzzle brake. Tighten=problem solved.
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
....The check is in the mail......

What a load of road apples. We shoot military issue rifles of just about every country that was involved in our wars and a few that were not out to 1,000 yards a few times a year and every Sunday out to 500 meters.
Just think what you can do with a high quality rifle?

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 444 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my old, beat-up, pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 H&H. I was using the 26" barrel to demonstrate the horn spread. As you can see, it sports iron sights and a scope, and has accounted for about 90 head of African plains game. No accuracy problems.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I love seeing those old pics Bill.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Wonder how those Palma and Highpower target shooters hit their targets...

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:

We don't have rear sights out on the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:

True- I trying to say those are a couple examples of long range precision rifles without scopes involved. Nice rifle.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:

That rings a bell. That's kinda what I remember (read it somewhere in hard print in the late 90s) it's not the front sight that's the issue, it's the quarter rib/stuff in the middle that can monkey up the works.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opine that anyone who wears glasses (or needs to) can shoot more accurately with glass; especially as the yardage increases.

That said, there's a reason most doubles, have irons. It's closer, and your life may hang in the balance. Scope crosshairs take longer to find the target in, and the magnification shows too little of the target.

In summation, put iron sights on the rifle, especially anything 375 H&H or more powerful.
Could save your life...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jken
posted Hide Post
What really matters on the accuracy is the what type of gunstock you are using.
It is very difficult/impossible to get a stock that covers both open sight and scoped sight shooting.
A perfect stock for open sights will be much too low for scope sights and you need a fixed point for your chin to shoot good.

A famous mom said: Stupid is, who stupid does.

Posts: 27 | Location: Norway | Registered: 25 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Not only will iron sights screw up your long range shooting but they will cause hair to grow on your palms and eventually, you will go blind. Wisely, I stopped using iron sights when I needed glasses.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
My guideing rifles all have Leupold (now)scopes in Talley mounts. They have open sights as well and are sighted in at 75yds, once I had a Zeiss fog on the Tsiu River and resorted to open sights and comepleted the mission. My 458 has a Talley peep that goes on the rear base.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my Mauser actioned 9,3x62 will have a peepsight cocking piece to match up with the front H&H-style flip from NECG.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote