New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light weight 375 h&h guide gun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had a nula 416 rem that I had to sell a while back and now back into guiding. In the market for a sub seven lb 375 built to my specs. Any gun makers on here that might be interested in a trade or swap? Heavily discounted Alaskan hunt for a rifle or the like? Would love to entertain ideas if some of you have parts and pieces around to build what I want.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are you thinking a carbine?
I have something you might be very interested in, built around a commercial FN Mauser.
PM me if you want to talk trade on a hunt.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Is that including the scope? Eeker
quote:
sub seven lb 375

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was 6.25 minus scope and sling but with irons on my 416. A 7.5 geared up would be fine. I like a 20-22" barrel as well.

Could you pm me some photos of the carbine you have rich?

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Rich's rifle doesn't work out, you could always opt for an older Ruger Alaskan in 375 or 416 Ruger. You can still find them new. They're stainless and synthetic and not that heavy.

Posts: 20089 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've seen ammo for the 416 ruger ever and i'd still have to shorten the stock I think. Not sure what factory lop is on those. Would rather stick to standard calibers that I can get
Components for all the time and from almost everywhere.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I once had the opportunity to fire a few of the B&M rifles. They were nice little carbines based on Model 70 actions. I believe every one of those rifles weighed about 6-1/2 pounds. All of the cartridges were medium and large bore, fat, stubby, specialty rounds. When it comes to shaving weight there is a lot to be said for shorter barrels vs thinner barrels. The rifles are built by SSK Industries.

I don't see why SSK couldn't build you the same thing in a .375 H&H or .375 Ruger. Weight would only be slightly more. They already have the stocks, barrels, and pertinent dimensions worked out. Of course, I can't speak for them. But it might be worth asking about.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Cool little rig, my present 458 has a 19" barrel and if it takes another trip to the smith it may go to 18". A 7lb 416 has got to be kicker!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 416 was 6.25lb with no sling or scope and i loved shooting that gun! Melvin Forbes knows what he's doing with his stock building to reduce felt recoil. Did 49 rounds in one day off a bench and had to stop...was getting s headache. lol

If I had cash on hand im sure I could buy a new gun, but cash I do not have. A guide business I do have so I'm looking for trades.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mauser actioned 376 styer with a synthetic stock would fit the bill wouldn't it?

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
a couple yrs ago at one of the "dangerous waterjug shoots" in the Houston area, I had the opportunity to shoot a rem 700 titanium in .416 rem mag.. weight was less than 5 lbs,, had 2 recoil pads,, I shot it with my own factory Remington ammo, 400 gr barnes solids.. recoil was manageable, the 2 recoil pads took care of that,,, I think the gun belonged to bigdoggy...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Follow Biebs advice

Get on cdnn and buy a 375 alaskan ruger guide gun - by the discontinued model for 699.

Its sub 8 pounds - is is stainless, it has laminated wood stock - its built like a tank accurate weatherproof

I took mine to Alaska no issues at all. Left it in the rain, dropped it down a sponge covered hill hundred of feet, banged it around a plane, not a nick or any rust.

To save a pound on custom rifle you will pay thousands more and get less durable gun.

Accurate as hell too.

Plenty of 375 ruger ammo around.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
So, you are not looking to buy but you are looking for someone to give you a rifle in exchange for guiding services. Correct?
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
If I had cash on hand im sure I could buy a new gun, but cash I do not have. A guide business I do have so I'm looking for trades.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a gun to be part of the payment for a guided hunt.

Can the 375 ruger support eaw quick detach mounts? What's the discontinued model? I'm not real familiar with their current situation. Would have to restock it as well and I hate ruger scope mounts.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:

After holding that rifle I said to myself that if I ever wanted a nice off the shelf 375 that this was pretty much as close to perfect as possible for that niche. A beauty to hold. That said... What is important to you besides the clambering and the weight?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
I once had the opportunity to fire a few of the B&M rifles. They were nice little carbines based on Model 70 actions. I believe every one of those rifles weighed about 6-1/2 pounds. All of the cartridges were medium and large bore, fat, stubby, specialty rounds. When it comes to shaving weight there is a lot to be said for shorter barrels vs thinner barrels. The rifles are built by SSK Industries.

I don't see why SSK couldn't build you the same thing in a .375 H&H or .375 Ruger. Weight would only be slightly more. They already have the stocks, barrels, and pertinent dimensions worked out. Of course, I can't speak for them. But it might be worth asking about. Here are a couple of pictures:

How long is the barrel on the stainless rifle?
18" on the WSM action (walnut stock) and 16 1/2" on the WSSM action (synthetic stock).

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
from reading this thread so far it doesn't appear that there are too many members who are offering their guns in trade.

I suspect that is because they have no sense of the value of what is being offered in return.

anyone can offer anything in trade for something else. And what is offered here may be a great trade - if an analysis could be done.

The easiest trade for a gun is another gun. That way values can be easily ascertained. But here there has been no information to determine the value of what is being offered. I suspect that is why nobody is offering their rifles for trade.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
from reading this thread so far it doesn't appear that there are too many members who are offering their guns in trade.

I suspect that is because they have no sense of the value of what is being offered in return.

anyone can offer anything in trade for something else. And what is offered here may be a great trade - if an analysis could be done.

The easiest trade for a gun is another gun. That way values can be easily ascertained. But here there has been no information to determine the value of what is being offered. I suspect that is why nobody is offering their rifles for trade.

Or perhaps those reading the thread have never hired a guide in Alaska.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Just an obversation about light weight stainless barrels. Kreiger Barrels, based in one of the coldest area of the country (Wisconsin) bumps up their contour when going from CM to stainless. Stainless has a record of failures in extreme cold.

I encountered this first hand when I lived in WI. These were factory, skinny, stainless barrels and reports of such failures are pretty widespread. So.. light weight, CM would seem to be the chnoice

I don't want to disagree, but I hunt in some pretty chilly temperatures and have done so with fwt stainless barrels. I have never heard of this or seen this happen in Alberta. Ever.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I too have also heard the rumor about stainless steel loosing strength in the cold but it turns out to be just that - rumor.

I have talked with other barrel makers who don't hold that opinion and don't know how many million stainless steel Ruger pistols and rifles are used in Alaska and Canada at temperatures as low as -50 and have never heard of a problem.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm looking for a gun to be part of the payment for a guided hunt.

Can the 375 ruger support eaw quick detach mounts? What's the discontinued model? I'm not real familiar with their current situation. Would have to restock it as well and I hate ruger scope mounts.

I had some Alaska Arms QD rings put on a Ruger recently. You might check into them. I have not had the rifle long enough to really have an opinion.

http://www.alaskaarmsllc.com/

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have installed Alaska Arms rings on all my Rugers as they are simple, rugged, attractive, affordable and always seem to return to zero.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm going with a
Ruger guide gun in 416
Ruger. About the cheapest option. Tslked with Wild West guns and they said for about 1300 bucks they might be able to shave a half pound off the gun. Ya, I'll just get stronger thanks. Thanks for everyone's input on this, gonna have to find some loads guys are using for this ruger. Been loading for the Remington for so long..

Alaska arms rings will be on it, tslked to them a few times, they live right down the road from me so shipping will be cheap!

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I'm going with a
Ruger guide gun in 416
Ruger. About the cheapest option. Tslked with Wild West guns and they said for about 1300 bucks they might be able to shave a half pound off the gun. Ya, I'll just get stronger thanks. Thanks for everyone's input on this, gonna have to find some loads guys are using for this ruger. Been loading for the Remington for so long..

Alaska arms rings will be on it, tslked to them a few times, they live right down the road from me so shipping will be cheap!

Jake, depending on what you are looking for I have a blued steel 416 Ruger "African" in one of the tough and light Ruger canoe paddle stock and you can have it for less than that. Drop me a PM or e-mail as I am still in the valley

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil I appreciate the offer, but I have already ordered the new one. One of my big issues is my lop is so short I have to alter or change stocks all the time. Have a great season! I'll be Down at butch' place this fall, as I missed the drawing for Kodiak....

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
LOP, especially for Alaskan guides, is something most folks don't understand. And shorter is always better than too long.
I would like to help you with reloading data but most of my reloading info is in camp. But your idea of the 350 gr bullets in the 416 is a good one.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've ran a 416 for the last 10 years or so, everything from a-frames, partitions, 400 and 350 x bullets. I eventually settled on the 350 and have loved them. The 416 rugers case size is deceiving, I keep thinking it won't handle a bullet that size....not used to the "shorter" mags. I'm anxious to see if I can tell any difference in field conditions from my rem to the new ruger.

Shorter LOP can almost make any gun a nice gun. Almost.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it worked out. You should be happy with that setup. Ruger makes a solid rifle.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell Duane, At 7am today the wind chill was only -41 degrees. Last year we had over a week in the -50's.

Dave

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The current Browning SS Xbolt 375hh weighs 6lb/13oz from the faxtory I am sure weight can be removed
Item Number
UPC
Action Length
Long Action
Caliber
375 HH Mag
Barrel Length
24"
Overall Length
44 3/4"
Length of Pull
13 5/8"
Drop at Comb
11/16"
Drop at Heel
1/2"
Weight
6 lbs 13 oz
Magazine Capacity
Sight Radius
20"
Twist Rate
1 in 12"

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If it's the one I'm thinking of it looked like the fluting served as scoring.
quote:
On U tube there;s an interesting video of a SS Ruger 44...barrel just disappeared uopon firing! You know...you just gotta wonder...

quote:
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Stainless vs. Blued
Date: 13 May 1998 10:17:34 -0400

Contrary to genral impressions Stainless steel that is used in the
firearms is not more difficult but is much more machineable than
chromoly. The s/s used in barrel steel is stainless screw stock 416R made
to run on auto screw machines at high speed. The steel used in s/s
actions is 1704, a tougher steel that take more tool pressure but
machines nicely. Stainless doesn't have the tensile strength that a
chromoly like 4340 does. Due to the softness of barrel s/s which is 27
to 29 Rockwell C it will not last as long as 4140 and while it is
believed to withstand heat erosion better I have not found that to be
true. As a summery due the better machine ability, s/s barrels can be
made with closer dimensions and surface finishes. It will produce more
accurate barrels. The sole benefit of fluted barrels is that to some
people it looks neat. If you are lucky a fluted barrel will shoot as
well as or nearly as well as an unfluted barrel. And the gunsmith needs
the money.

Gale McMillan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
quote:
Just an obversation about light weight stainless barrels. Kreiger Barrels, based in one of the coldest area of the country (Wisconsin) bumps up their contour when going from CM to stainless. Stainless has a record of failures in extreme cold.

I encountered this first hand when I lived in WI. These were factory, skinny, stainless barrels and reports of such failures are pretty widespread. So.. light weight, CM would seem to be the chnoice

I don't want to disagree, but I hunt in some pretty chilly temperatures and have done so with fwt stainless barrels. I have never heard of this or seen this happen in Alberta. Ever.

Not disagreeing...look up "Stainless barrel failures" on this very forum..... Sako and Tikka recalled a batch of SS barreled guns due to failures. Obermeyer Barrels also warns about SS and cold weaather.

On U tube there;s an interesting video of a SS Ruger 44...barrel just disappeared uopon firing! You know...you just gotta wonder...

It makes you wonder about all those Model 70 fwts and 700 mountain rifles. I think we know that Sako used bad steel in those barrels.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Did I understand you to say you are paying $1300 to have 8 ounces removed from a rifle?
I think that is way too much. Way.

Posts: 17134 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I can lighten my .400 by twice that amount if I hacksaw 6" off the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was saying I would never pay 1300 for 8oz.
Seemed ridiculous. They said flute the barrell and a McMillan stock. For 1300....no thanks.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Whew ! Good; there are simpler ways to cut 8 ounces from a rifle.

Posts: 17134 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of taking the recoil pad off
And drilling holes into the stock. Barrel is already 20"....what ideas for saving weight.
I'm tempted to hit the stock with a sander and make it slimmer. I have small hands.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll assume you have a wood stock.

Bore out the buttstock under the recoil pad. Use a stepped approach with a 1/2" or 3/4" bit first and deepest. Then a little larger bit going in shallower, then a little larger bit going in shallower still. Forstner bits work well for this. You can usually bore 2 holes, maybe 3.

You can use a router to cut a channel in the forearm under the barrel. Careful with this one, though. It is easy to slip and make an unsightly gouge in the barrel channel.

Shorten the forearm and recontour it.

Make certain you seal any wood that you cut with a spar varnish.

This won't remove a lot of weight, but will save a few ounces.

Otherwise, you are looking at metal removal either with milling on the action or with a lathe to slim the barrel.

And/or a lightweight synthetic stock. You may just leave it alone for now, and put on a light stock later on.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeremy. Slimming the barrel sounds good. It's a broomstick barrell.
It's a laminate wood stock. Shorten the forearm. I like that idea...
What's a spar varnish?

Master guide #212