THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Any pictures of a nice rich rust blued rifle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any pictures of a nice rich rust blued rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Some things the client should choose, some things are best left to the builder himself. I would ask Ralph for his advice and follow it. Probably as many fine rifles are ruined by bad choices as by bad workmanship.

Terry
Do you think using rust blue will ruin a rifle? I feel sorry for those who ruined there rifles.

Do you think Ralphs hot caustic blue will?

You have already stated that a rust blue may indeed ruin your floorplate.
No,I don`t think that Ralf`s hot blue or whatever other process he uses will ruin my project.I just might prefer something else.I was told that the rusting process may make the lion disappear.There will be no rust bluing on the floorplate that`s for sure.When I filled out the work order sheet for my project I remember being asked what type of bluing I wanted and I replied rust bluing.I don`t think I did anything wrong.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Originally posted by Yale:

...Depends on what you like. I like the satin dark grey/black of a rust blued finish.

I myself appreciate a high quality deep rust blue and also the high quality-highly durable hot blue process as used by Echols&Co..[some of which are high gloss, other examples being lightly dulled/satin in appearance.]

In both cases there only a select few that can deliver such results.

orig. Rigby:
That is the kind of bluing I want.No future-like crap.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a call to Roger Biesen. He'll set your mind right on rust vs. hot blueing. Big Grin

As might D'Arcy Echols or David Miller.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you want your engraving blued/blacked in appearance, with the best chance of retaining its orig. detail, then some of todays altered/modern/fururistic processes may be the smart way to go.

You think Ralf Martini gets some old-world traditional skilled person to do the NITRIDING process on his Hagn actions, or more likely someone knowledgeable and up to date with todays modern-futuristic computer controlled nitriding methods?

Nitriding goes back to the 1920's, and through advances, we have developed plasma[ion]nitriding.

Plasma nitriding is often coupled with physical vapor deposition (PVD) process and labeled Duplex Treatment, with enhanced benefits. Many users prefer to have a plasma oxidation step combined at the last phase of processing to produce a smooth jetblack layer of oxides which is resistant to wear and corrosion.

Rust blue is also a blackening-oxidation process that offers corrosion resistance.

So, surface treatment processes you refer to as "future-like crap" can infact be quite similar in nature to older more traditional ways of oxidizing[rust bluing] steel for appearance and protection.

The more course forms of engraving can tolerate rust blue to some degree.
Pre-war Rigby magnum mauser:

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
God, that's beautiful!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:

If you want your engraving blued/blacked in appearance, with the best chance of retaining its orig. detail, then some of todays altered/modern/fururistic processes may be the smart way to go.

You think Ralf Martini gets some old-world traditional skilled person to do the NITRIDING process on his Hagn actions, or more likely someone knowledgeable and up to date with todays modern-futuristic computer controlled nitriding methods?

Nitriding goes back to the 1920's, and through advances, we have developed plasma[ion]nitriding.

Plasma nitriding is often coupled with physical vapor deposition (PVD) process and labeled Duplex Treatment, with enhanced benefits. Many users prefer to have a plasma oxidation step combined at the last phase of processing to produce a smooth jetblack layer of oxides which is resistant to wear and corrosion.

Rust blue is also a blackening-oxidation process that offers corrosion resistance.

So, surface treatment processes you refer to as "future-like crap" can infact be quite similar in nature to older more traditional ways of oxidizing[rust bluing] steel for appearance and protection.

The more course forms of engraving can tolerate rust blue to some degree.
Pre-war Rigby magnum mauser:
I just got word about my Vektor lott project and we are going ahead with rust blue,infact bluing has started and it should be completed next week.I received some pics of the hot blued take-down I mentioned earlier and although it looked nice,it was not the look I wanted for my rifle.If I am not mistaken,this floor plate pictured was done with the hot blue process used on that takedown-but I could be wrong.The engraved floor plate and trigger guard will also be rust blued but special attention will be paid to the lion head so that the bluing is etched around it like the engraver instructed.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 15 March 2012 18:04Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Some things the client should choose, some things are best left to the builder himself. I would ask Ralph for his advice and follow it. Probably as many fine rifles are ruined by bad choices as by bad workmanship.

Terry
Do you think using rust blue will ruin a rifle? I feel sorry for those who ruined there rifles.

Do you think Ralphs hot caustic blue will?

You have already stated that a rust blue may indeed ruin your floorplate.
No,I don`t think that Ralf`s hot blue or whatever other process he uses will ruin my project.I just might prefer something else.I was told that the rusting process may make the lion disappear.There will be no rust bluing on the floorplate that`s for sure.When I filled out the work order sheet for my project I remember being asked what type of bluing I wanted and I replied rust bluing.I don`t think I did anything wrong.

No one on this site knows more than Ralph about your rifle. I would ask him what his opinion about the best choice and then discuss what you were wanting and what would be the down falls if any. I would want rust bluing just like you but I would talk to Ralph to make sure it is the best way to go. Then you can make an educated decision on the best way to go. Pictures are mandatory! IMHO!

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of afro408
posted Hide Post
All my guns are Rust blued.
Some pics here:-
www.nickalguns.net

Posts: 50 | Location: East of the black stump,NSW. | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote