Find
Notify
Tools

Delete
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would be proud to have that rifle. Looks gorgeous! I like how trim it is.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Darcy Echols puts reinforcing metal in the forend of some of his rifles as well. he details this on his blog.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Aaron Little, thats a great looking shop. Is the floor on a slab? My last shop had wood floors and I put down metal sheets to spread the load of machine weight a little more evenly across the 2 by 4s.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, if Aaron and stormsGSP can take Dave's response as advice and not get bent out of shape, I sure can. But we might be a little more grown up then you. Wink
All that aside, I love the looks of the rifle being built. I hope you give us more pictures of how you are addressing the wood strength issues.

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
Love the stock design, Aaron. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that posting PM's was grounds for removal from AR. Would the moderators please explain why they let certain members get away with it.

I just received another threatening PM from ISS as have many others over the years. I'll post my complaint with the moderators.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Very nice work Aaron.

Perhaps a stern “knock it off” from a moderator would keep the pissers out of an otherwise useful thread.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, will the barrel mounted recoil lug take the shock from transferring to the pistolgrip?
Would pillar bedding the tang make any difference?
Do love the shape it's taking!!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
#MakeItHappy

Cool

Mike

Posts: 21214 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Aaron, That project is coming along well. Do you intend to personally checker the stock? Nice work. Keep us in the loop. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5108 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
No doubt, dorleac is top notch. I do plan to checker it, doing a subdued point pattern. Rear panels will meet at the top only. Front will be wrap-around. All work from here on out will be under me.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
moved to the dave hater's thread in Walter's Forum.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
+1

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a dave wesbrook haters thread is just what we need.

I have established one in Walter's Forum, and are deleting all of mine here.

Rich
dave despiser...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
moved to the dave haters thread at Walter's Forum.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posts removed
please accept my apologies Aaron for getting involved in this.
shane

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
Maybe start a Dave wesbrook haters thread? Keep it off mine!
[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron I really like the style of that rifle. Looks svelte like it will result in a nice handling and carrying rifle.

Looking forward to more photos as you progress.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Funny how much that ignore function can improve threads sometimes.

Anyways, Aaron you know I like the Dorleac look too. Looking forward to seeing it trimmed up with the mag box. Thanks for the updates.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, great looking work and great set up. I do have some thoughts about Dave Wesbrooks comments. His thoughts were about a piece of wood. He was not insulting anyone. Diplomacy needed when speaking about a piece of wood? He obviously put some thought and knowledge into his comments. Why should that be done in PM? His comments might help others and get some comments and advice from others. His comments did get you to discuss with other experts and come up with actions to correct potential problem with the wood. Would you have done this without his comments? It was said Dave Wesbrook adds nothing of value to the forum. Seems to me he got the ball rolling for the corrective action. I think Dave should be thanked--not spanked.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Aaron, great looking work and great set up. I do have some thoughts about Dave Wesbrooks comments. His thoughts were about a piece of wood. He was not insulting anyone. Diplomacy needed when speaking about a piece of wood? He obviously put some thought and knowledge into his comments. Why should that be done in PM? His comments might help others and get some comments and advice from others. His comments did get you to discuss with other experts and come up with actions to correct potential problem with the wood. Would you have done this without his comments? It was said Dave Wesbrook adds nothing of value to the forum. Seems to me he got the ball rolling for the corrective action. I think Dave should be thanked--not spanked.

+1.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work! Just Beautifull!

Posts: 41779 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Aaron....nice looking shop

A couple questions

How does the floor perform with hot chips, coolant and oil....and sweeping chips

How do you keep coolant, oil and chips out of your 110 outlets behind the lathe?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thanks for posting this thread. I have enjoyed seeing the rifle emerge from a rough blank and getting to watch the progress. Very informative.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
Is this going to be an open sight only rifle?

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looking good, my young friend...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind spending Alex's money, so I say go ahead and do them Aaron. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep! Go for it.....like he said he is a young man so he'll get to enjoy it for a long time! Wink

Posts: 41779 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Aaron, keep them pics coming! Great work. The peanut gallery will never shut up, pretty soon they'll be asking why you didn't buy brand X lathe vs. brand Y...all of them who are doing nothing but watching your excellent work.

Good on you and we appreciate you sharing your pics and projects.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will be happy to know I gave him the go ahead.

Do any of you want to contribute to the increased bill?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
You will be happy to know I gave him the go ahead.

Do any of you want to contribute to the increased bill?

Do we get to time share the finished product? Cool

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
That looks pretty awesome!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like something like this in .375. Way cool Aaron!

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Looks nice. Curious though, why such a large recoil pad?

Mike

Posts: 21214 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helluva guy you are, whats the old expression? With friends like you, who needs enemies? Good thing you are locked away in your shop all day, you ain't fit for society.

Speaking of skinny, your fiancee called me, she wanted me to talk to you about your weight. She wants me to convince you to work out every once in a while, having multiple chins in your wedding photo isn't a good look.

To answer Mike's question, I'm 6'4" and wanted a long LOP. It looks a bit funky with the pad, I agree, but I'll try it and see what I think, and if I can cut the pad down a little.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
The owner is a skinny lad that has to duck when going through doorways. I think his knuckles also drag on the ground. There was an inclusion in the butt that needed removed but we still needed a long LOP.

So why didn't you just get another piece of wood?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
The owner is a skinny lad that has to duck when going through doorways. I think his knuckles also drag on the ground. There was an inclusion in the butt that needed removed but we still needed a long LOP.

So why didn't you just get another piece of wood?

Because I didn't want to toss an $800 blank...

Not to mention it is still 14" to the end of the wood.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Speaking of skinny, your fiancee called me, she wanted me to talk to you about your weight. She wants me to convince you to work out every once in a while, having multiple chins in your wedding photo isn't a good look.

Don't get sensitive on me.

10lbs down from my heaviest. Riding 100mi a week does that.

Look what happened to Chris Pratt after he got buffed up - you can do it1

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm only 165! rotflmo

But you are 5'2"...