New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a Lightweight Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PT&G makes lightweight aluminium bottom metal as well for some rifles. I would recommend ordering the stock long and fitting a thin recoil pad, more as a non-slip surface. I've seen guys use a beach sandal sole (slip slop) before on lightweights!

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717: I bought a LH Tikka Lite stainless 30-06, altered my carbon-fiber stock order to one for a Tikka, and ordered another VX3i 2.5-8X36. Talley one piece mounts will complete the package. I think it will come in under 6.5 lb.

What carbon-fiber stock have you ordered for the Tikka?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found the means of carry is much more important than the rifles weight. If I'm backpack hunting, the largest amount of hiking is spent hiking, not hunting. so the rifle is in or attached to the pack. the weight is part of the pack so a pound this way or that makes little difference. After camp is set-up and I'm actually hunting the pack has only "A" pack items so I don't mind if I have a standard weight rifle.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have two light"er" rifles.

The first is my Rem M7 AWR in 7mm SAUM. Topped with a VX3 2.5-8x36 in Talley Lightweights it weighs 7# 2oz.

It's back there somewhere.

The second is my Merkel K1 in 7mm RM topped with a Leupold FX3 6x42. 6# 8oz and a dream to carry.

In both cases the rifles are basically stock (Timney in the Rem).

There's a part of me that wants to make the AWR a little lighter. I could shave a couple ounces off with an aluminum shroud and pin. I could also send the rifle off to be swiss cheesed and fluted. That might knock back another few ounces. Different recoil pad would save an ounce or two...

I figure I could under 6.5# pretty easily and without too much additional cost. And then I asked myself why. 7# scoped is quite decent.

The real problem for me is that going much lighter also creates the issue of balance and steadiness. It also amplifies recoil.

I decided 6.5-7# was really my lower limit with the right balance.

YMMV.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPCD is building me a .275 Rigby on a Parker Hale Mauser action with a Rigby patterned Black Walnut stock, a 1/2" black decelerator pad, two piece Leupold mounts and rings, an aluminum trigger guard and factory bottom metal with Timney trigger with side safety. Before scoped it weighs 6.4 lbs with a 20" featherweight barrel.

I'm mounting a Leupold 3x9x33 Ultraleight scope that weighs 8.8oz. That should put this rifle at just under 7.5 lbs with a beautiful wood stock. I'll be using it for stalk hunting in the mountains.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
I have found the means of carry is much more important than the rifles weight. If I'm backpack hunting, the largest amount of hiking is spent hiking, not hunting. so the rifle is in or attached to the pack. the weight is part of the pack so a pound this way or that makes little difference. After camp is set-up and I'm actually hunting the pack has only "A" pack items so I don't mind if I have a standard weight rifle.

Having humped for several days carrying 35# of LBJ (load bearing junk) plus a rucksack with 110# of "lightweight" gear and my M16A2, I assure you I made every ounce count.

A lightweight rifle is the answer to shaving ounces or even pounds.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:

Having humped for several days carrying 35# of LBJ (load bearing junk) plus a rucksack with 110# of "lightweight" gear and my M16A2, I assure you I made every ounce count.

A lightweight rifle is the answer to shaving ounces or even pounds.

An M16 ?? I'd figured you to be an M60 guy Smiler

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
a buddy of mine is trying to put together a really lightweight tikka t3, and is going with wildcat composites out of Canada for his stock. I forget what it will end up tipping the scales at, but will be lighter than the mcmillan edge IIRC.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Cooper
My Wildcat stock weighed 16 ounces and finished bedded and recoil pad at 19 ounces.
This was for a Win M70 long action.
I really like mine, very rigid and light.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack Kiester near Harrisonburg, VA is a custom gunmaker who can make a 16 oz carbon fiber stock for Remingtons and a few others. I have to wait until he finishes a mold for a Tikka before I can get a stock for mine.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
Tikka T3 SuperLight, put into McMillan Edge, Leupold 2,5x20 in Tikka Ringmounts.

Done!

6 - 6.5 Lbs

Much better action then Rem 700, MUCH better trigger, very good barrels, SLICK as snot!

Wow!! You saved 1/2 pound with the McMillian Edge? My 7RemMag Tikka T-3 Superlite is all stock with Talley lightweight rings and Swaro 12 oz. 3 x 10 - 42.

It weighs 6#, 14 oz.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7607 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If I recall the McMillan Edge weighs 22 ounces. I really like those stocks, the layout is nearly perfect but there are lighter stocks if you are looking for them.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
Jack Kiester near Harrisonburg, VA is a custom gunmaker who can make a 16 oz carbon fiber stock for Remingtons and a few others. I have to wait until he finishes a mold for a Tikka before I can get a stock for mine.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Vol717, please keep us updated on your progress. I always find these projects interesting. Classic wood stocked rifles are my passion but I really appreciate a lightweight rifle that is properly balanced. I recently got Melvin Forbes to build me one of his NULA rifles in 7x57. I like it more every time I shoot it.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had a NULA model 24 for about 10 years and find it to be worth every penny that I paid for it. Because the action and stock are so light, these rifles can still have a decent weight barrel (mine is a 2 contour). My rifle weighs a little over 6 pounds with a 3.5x-10x40 vx3 scope and still balances much like a normal rifle because it isn't wearing a pencil thin barrel. My NULA is a 30-06 and is the least picky rifle I've every loaded for. Before buying this rifle I tried Weatherby, Kimber, Remington, and Sako lightweight model, none even came close to the 30-06 that Mr Forbes built for me.

Posts: 7 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
DPCD is building me a .275 Rigby on a Parker Hale Mauser action with a Rigby patterned Black Walnut stock, a 1/2" black decelerator pad, two piece Leupold mounts and rings, an aluminum trigger guard and factory bottom metal with Timney trigger with side safety. Before scoped it weighs 6.4 lbs with a 20" featherweight barrel.

I'm mounting a Leupold 3x9x33 Ultraleight scope that weighs 8.8oz. That should put this rifle at just under 7.5 lbs with a beautiful wood stock. I'll be using it for stalk hunting in the mountains.

Please post pics when it's done.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second what Snellstrom said, start with a Colt Light Rifle. Mine, with the factory stock and VX-2 3-9X40 comes in just over 7lbs ready to go. Melvin will do any work you want to it like it was a NULA, he stands behind his design, even if he didn't personally build it. A NULA stock, drop in, runs about 400$ from what I'm told, that'll take a chunk of weight off and be much stiffer. You can have a Rem 700 trigger fitted in, and I've seen guys use aftermarket ADL stocks with a new (i think) rear screw hole drilled in.

Melvin will also put his Timney, plus stock/ bedding and a new barrel for around 1500, putting you in a faux NULA for about 2g's. But if you're ok with the factory CLR barrel, you'll be fine. Mine, with 165gr FailSafe and 4064, will drop groups into the mid 3's if I do my part. It does heat up quick though.

Only problem is availability, they're going up in price as they go down in supply. Best I've seen lately was 500 bucks, which i REALLY wanted to buy at a gun show, but I was already buying a tang safety Ruger 257 AI for the same price. If that gun is there next month though.....

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Heres my 7 lb 6.5mm SAUM (loaded and ready to go).

Built on a trued Remington 700 short action, fitted with a Wyatts extended box magazine so I can seat the Berger 140gr hunting VLD so the base of the bullet is level with the top of the shoulder (i am currently using 63grs Retumbo with no compression).

Bolt is a PTG spiral fluted with skeletonised handle, M16 extractor and PTG aluminium bolt shroud. Defensive Edge custom bolt release and PTG Oberndorm aluminium bottom metal (standard Remington BDL bottom metal is junk).

Barrel is a 24 inch Criterion 1:8 twist fluted, slightly thicker than a 700 SPS contour. Stock is a McMillan McWoody, all metal work Cerakoted black.

Gunsmithing down here in New Zealand by Scott Traill (no longer gunsmithing, mine was his last build).

Pushes 140gr Berger Hunting VLD's at 3075fps which is pretty much .264 Winchester Magnum ballistics.

Lightweight Tally mounts, scope is a Bushnell 3500 4-12x DOA

This is a 0.332 MOA group shot with the berger 140 hunting VLD at 0.70 off lands. Constantly hovers at 0.5 MOA or better (depends on the operator). Roll Eyes

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Very nice kiwi!!
That thing has it all, looks good, light and shoots great.
Watch out though, the resident expert lightweight rifle haters will come on to tell you that even expert shooters can't make light rifles shoot small groups Roll Eyes
Very nice set up you have there I like it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny!

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Heres a closeup of the Defensive Edge bolt release. You can also see part of the Oberndorf bottom metal (Pacific Tool and Gauge) which is a much nicer unit than the standard M700 bottom metal (it is machined aluminium)

Trigger is the stock standard Remington Pro Mark X, which has been considerably worked over by the previous rifle owner's gunsmith and gives a very constant and light let off.

Yes I know I could replace it with a Timney, however I'm more than happy with its feel and considering how the rifle shoots, can't see the point of replacing it.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice! if it is working well I would not change a thing.
Once again nice rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a stainless/synthetic Savage in 7mm-08. Then had my 'smith turn the barrel down and take all the weight off that he could. He hollowed out the bolt handle, and shaved some metal off the action as well.

The result is a very reasonably priced mountain rifle: 7lb 3oz with a Leupold 3-9. It shoots under 1/2 moa with 150gr Barnes TTSX's. If I do my part, it shoots under 2" groups at 400yd from prone.

It's a real pleasure to carry in tough country, all of my other rifles are 'standard' weight.

Only complaint: Wish I would have done it in 270 Win, since it would shoot flatter. I think the extra couple ounces would be worth it for the flatter trajectory.

Posts: 437 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote