Notify
Tools

Great cougar picture:
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
Enjoy.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems the deer "feeder" worked. It just feed something other than deer.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yup. One night years ago in the Texas Hill Country we were watching a herd of Blackbuck doe through a Starlight Scope. We saw something on top of a feeder in another part of the pasture and sure enough it was a young cougar waiting in ambush for something to come feed.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But I thought they only kill the weak or injured animals. That picture must be photoshoped.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Both critters appear to be in prime condition. Great game-camera pict.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I thought they only kill the weak or injured animals.

or the unlucky

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:
But I thought they only kill the weak or injured animals. That picture must be photoshoped.

I sense your sarcasm. That is the idea surrounding bobcats and coyotes on deer predation. Cougars kill pretty much whatever they want, when they want.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once saw a bobcat ambush a healthy doe in deep snow in the catskills NY. The Doe was completely healthy. It took hours for it to finish the job.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
cool picture, but I'mthinking it's doctored. where's the blood?

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was being sarcastic, but it does looked like its shopped. Look closely, what is the cougar actually hanging on to?

one of us
posted Hide Post
W/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sam626

Mountain lions usually break the neck of their prey. I found where a huge Tom killed a bull elk in his bed... their was no blood and no struggle. The big cat then dragged the elk 125 yards brfore he started to feed. Mountain Lions are one awesome animal and the top of North America hunters. Have a good day.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Steve-
Thanks for the info. I was expecting a scene closer to an african lion kill.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam626,

I read that leopards and tigers kill by a bite to the back of the neck, or back of head - spine connection and by strangulation.

Obviously, this all depends upon the relative sizes of the prey and the predator, along with the 'hold position' / target the predator is able to get on the prey.

The 'horror film' carnage is an indication of feral dogs - a big struggle / inefficient killing, etc.

As an aside, it was the former method of live stock killing which concerned West Country, UK sheep farmers during the "Beast of Exmoor" episode.

They knew the police / government story was a lie because they were familiar with foxes and feral dog attacks upon lambs and ewes.

We do not have free roamimg wolves in the UK, yet. Although there are plans to re-introduce them into the Scottish Highlands - Loch Laggan area.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd put my two cents in. I don't know much about mountain lions, but I'm learning. I've lived in the mountains outside Denver Colorado for about ten years and have never even seen a mountain lion. My wife and daughter have both seen them at times, but not me. Bears, yes, lions, no. Then my Australian shephard turned up missing the day after Easter this year. He was found the next day about 50 yards from our house totally torn apart and partially covered with leaves and debris. I was sure it was a lion, but we have bears as well as coyotes in the area. Then three weeks later on a Saturday night, our yellow labrador was pounced on by a lion on our deck, right outside my back door. My wife and I both heard and felt it. It shook the house. It took about 20 seconds for us to get up from the basement and to the back door. My wife got there first and saw out dog on her back up against the door with the lion on top of her. My wife banged on the glass and the lion took off. I was about one second too late, and have STILL never seen a mountain lion. The dog came through with just a wound on the top of her head and a wound on her chest. We also noticed later that she had dried saliva all down the side of her head and under her throat. The division of wildlife people told us that the old male lion that claimed the territory that included our home had died about a month before. Our first dog was killed about a week after that. Then this latest attack three weeks later. They said it's very rare for a lion to be on a dog that long (15-20 seconds) and for the dog to survive. This makes me think that it was probably a young lion that moved into the area after the other older one died. It may hve been a young lion, but it left a track in the mud that measured about 4 1/2 inches across. I asked if the size of the dog matters and they said no. They've known of Wolfhounds and Rottweilers being eaten my lions. So now I'm left with the problem of what to do. I've got a lion around my house that thinks its a good idea to eat dogs. I can shoot it (if I see it) if I feel threatened. The DOW people would rather the lion be "hazed" and tought that contact with humans is bad. They even gave me some rubber shot shells for my 12 guage. If anyone on this site has had any similar experience and has some ideas, I'd like to hear them. I may copy this and just start a new post to get some input. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...rubber balls and big cats. I think my second round would 00 buck.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
No rubber bullets for my 12 ga. That advise borders on irresponsible.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like da cats are learning what African animals have known for years: People taste good, and they are easier to catch than the big stuff!

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote