Find
Notify
Tools

FN Five Seven
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
It's a pistol I don't need and I'm not sure I want one but my brother, who has fallen on some hard times, wants to sell it to me. I'm not too thrilled with the deal he is trying to push on me. Specifically, he wants my AK-47 and $400 for his 5.7. Is it something I should take into my arsenal? It's so ugly that I'm afraid I would be embarassed to bring it to a gun fight.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well you know the value of your AK, right? CDNN sells the FN,so call them and ask them how much. Beauty does not win gun fights.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after firing one a few times, i can't say i way very impressed. about like shooting a 22 mag

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe so, but with the right ammo these rounds will penetrate soft body armor!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would buy one if I could buy on cheap and on the open market.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, and it is a fun gun. If you have some LEO contacts, you can get some of the LEO/Military ammo and it becomes a OK defensive pistol and can penetrate armor, but they refuse to sell that ammo to the hoi polloi.

The commercial ammo is about on par as Butch said with a mildly hot .22 WMR, but it is reloadable.

I think your brother is excluding any depreciation of the pistol. I would not take that deal myself.

Posts: 10977 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I'm really thinking that I should not go through with the deal. Along with the pistol, he's throwing in 4 boxes of ammo (2 of which are the LEO ammo), 3 mags, laser sight, 2 holsters, and the case. My AK is a Century Arms synthetic stock underfolder with 4 mags, 80 rds, and a bayonet. Mine and $400 for his Five Seven. Is it worth it? I've never handled that gun or even seen one except in photos.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Maybe so, but with the right ammo these rounds will penetrate soft body armor!
Peter.

True but of what practical value is that? Not many crackheads, burglars or carjackers run around in armor. For about 1/3 the money you can buy a KelTec PMR-30 and have the nice fireball, make a LOT of noise and blow through 30 round mags of 22 Magnum like Robo Cop.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by namibiahunter:
I'm really thinking that I should not go through with the deal. Along with the pistol, he's throwing in 4 boxes of ammo (2 of which are the LEO ammo), 3 mags, laser sight, 2 holsters, and the case. My AK is a Century Arms synthetic stock underfolder with 4 mags, 80 rds, and a bayonet. Mine and $400 for his Five Seven. Is it worth it? I've never handled that gun or even seen one except in photos.

As for the pistol, it is finely made and has a lot of features I like but it is almost as large as the old 44 Automag. If I'm going to carry that much metal around I would prefer it to have commensurate horsepower.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I looked over the ammo and they are SS192 and SS196 SR - neither of which are classified by ATF as armor piercing. I think I'll pass on the deal since the Five Seven would just be a novelty toy to me.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Very good friend of mine, an LPN, with a Forward Surgical Team just came back from the 'Stan in February. He says some of the Spec Ops folks are carrying the 5.7. He has personally seen wounds on the bad guys brought in for treatment. "VERY devestating" he says! Leg and arm wounds come very close to amputating the limb or the limb needs amputation. Chest hits are extremely lethal!

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering what was used on Osama bin Laden's head. It looks like a small caliber, like a 5.7 or 5.56 rather than a 9mm or .45.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons why the fort hood massacre was so bad was because he used a FN five seven.
Low recoil high velocity 30 round mags. It's a SBR on your hand.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:

As for the pistol, it is finely made and has a lot of features I like but it is almost as large as the old 44 Automag. If I'm going to carry that much metal around I would prefer it to have commensurate horsepower.

Huh? The 57 is small (about a 1/4 the mass of a 44 AutoMag) and is mostly plastic.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...or maybe 6.8???? Eeker

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:

Huh? The 57 is small (about a 1/4 the mass of a 44 AutoMag) and is mostly plastic.

Maybe I was stretching a metaphor a tiny bit Big Grin As for mass, I didn't pick one up. But the physical size is large for caliber to me.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It's pretty light and remarkable engineering wise but you would have to get over biases of materials and bore size. It looks and feels like a toy but I think I'd rather get shot with a 9mm.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Well, I went through with the deal and I have the FN Five Seven. I shot it a couple a days ago and I liked the light recoil and the ability to re-acquire the target in minimum time. I think this pistol has promise as a close quarter handgun where the possibility of facing a body-armored target exists. My initial firing was not very satisfactory, accuracy-wise. Perhaps I was still expecting the heavier recoil of the .45 ACP. Have to play with my new toy some more.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i like the 7.62x25 for the same reasons - low recoil. possible cool guns.. heck, i've got a destroyer rebarreled in it

the pmr is cool tigger.. which it was in 22 lr

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39574 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote