THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Cani I join the DRSS, can I huh.. can I , can I....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cani I join the DRSS, can I huh.. can I , can I....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

Well I went to Cabelas tonight to take a look at the Chapuis 470 NE. And wouldn't you know the damn "Frenchy" followed me home.

I was standing there examining the double, when this guy came up behind me and said, hey dude are you going to buy Frenchy? if not just leave her on the table and I will take her home.

I was thinking about Rays "Sweet Thang" and Rustys "Lucille" and looked at this French Stick and said oh what the hell, ya wanna go home with me "Frenchy"? Damn it if she didn't say yes.

Well I handled 5 differnt Merkels, 3 Kreighoffs, 1 Searcy and 1 Chapuis. I couldn't find a Heym to hold if my life depended on it. It was a toss up between the Merkel and Chapuis. I found out I needed a 14.5 in LOP for a correct fit and wanted at least a 10 to 10.5 lb rifle for the 470 NE or 500 NE. In the end I went with the 470 NE.

Well on Frenchy the wood is beautiful, the engraving is all scroll, long tang, and ejectors. Only thing I don't like is that funky orangey colored recoil pad...LOL

One of the things I noticed, The Chapuis like the Searcy has a massive amount of metal around the breech. The Merkel & Kreighoff have substantially less steel areound those big bore holes. They seem smaller in those bigger calibers. The Kreighoff looks like a 410 when you pop it open. I don't know a hill of beans when it comes to strenght of DR's but this was just an observation.

I want to thank everybody on this forum for all the advice and help they gave me in helping make my decision. Hell 577NE was even going to have a DR shoot just so I could try the double rifles out. Thanks for the many private emails and ansering all my questions on this forum. AR has ALWAYS been my Bible when I need answers from the people in the know.

I also had to buy a new press for these longer shells, my old Rock Chucker wasn't going to cut it.

Thanks again guys.... Hey is there another Double Rifle Pig hunt in Ohio this year? If so count me and Frechy in.

Now I need dies brass and bullets.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

Photos? Please!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PAHunter

Congratulations.

I recommend you contact Hawk bullets www.hawkbullets.com and order some 350gr .032 jkt bullets.

Load them over a starting load of 75gr of IMR 3031. WARNING YOU MUST USE FILLER either dacron or foam.
These loads should be around 2300fps.

Adjust the powder charge up or down if necessary to achieve regulation.

This is a great deer,wild pig, black bear over bait, practice load that has a "little" less recoil than the regular load.

You can also try this same load with the Hornady 400gr bullets made for the 480 Ruger/475 Linebaugh.

For an even lighter load get some cast bullets @400grains and load them over a starting load of 44gr of IMR 4198. again you MUST use filler.
These loads should be around 1700 to 1800fps.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
What press did you buy. I am in the same place with not having a press with enough gate to handle the large shells of the .470 NE. I am thinking of getting the Redding called the Ultramag. Is that the one you got? Thanks in advance. Welcome to the .470 NE club.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am in the same boat...just purchased the Kreighoff 470 Nitro Express and own a Rock Chucker. Looking for any information on best press to buy and best dies for these bullets.

Some posts indicate Lee may not have quality dies and are the "Lock-N-Load" type dies worth the extra money?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 3 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and welcome to the DRSS. HOpe you enjoy your new rifle!

As far as presses I have a Lee Classic that I load my 450/400 3 inch on. I have also loaded 475#2 Jeffery on the press. I have almost 4 inches space between the shell holder and the end of the die. Price is right too at MidwayUSA.com

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with her! You never buy just one.
I also am very please with my big old and cheap lee press. ( You need to start saveing for that next double)

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello and welcome,

I bought a rock chucker supreme, it is long enough for the 3 1/4" cases. If any of you use the RCBS protrim trimmer and want instructions on how to modify it to trim your 470 brass send me a PM and I will respond. Pictures please, don't be stingy share that lovely frenchy's curves with all of us. I am ditto on the pig hunt in Ohio, let me know when and where. I just posted that Jamison Int. just ran 470 brass they sent me there latest price sheet, it lists 470 at $ 2.12 each. Midway has bullets of all types, including some in the clearance section, A2 dead tough and lion loads I believe.

Regards

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great choice for your first double, the Chapuis should give you years of trouble free hunting pleasure. Now you can start searching for a nice 7x57R double to fill in the gap. Welcome aboard!

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my coax works fine with 470s. a bit of fooling around seating, but surely not enough to warrant anything else. and you can only join the drss if you have two triggers Big Grin dancing rotflmo

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new double. I think you will enjoy shooting the 470NE and appreciate its performance on game. Welcome to the club! As for reloading components, I think you will do fine with the RCBS ammo Master or the large press Redding makes. I have both and prefer the Redding as it seems to have a little more leverage. As for dies, I have RCBS however Redding makes a set for the 470NE and it is much cheaper than the RCBS set. I would give them a try. As for case trimming, I prefer to use the trim dies for these large cases. Trim dies are somewhat expensive however they will last forever and are very quick and easy to use. There are lots of things you can incorporate into the loading process for the double. This forum has many experienced folks to help you through the process. Have fun.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
With a very SMALL modification of the shell holder the Rockchucker works fine on the 470.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Congratulations from me, too (JimP was considering my 470). Hope you get a chance to try it on ele or buff soon. Have you read the sage advice in this forum about avoiding monometal solids (excluding GS and NF)? I believe I am correct to say that A Square solids and Barnes-banded solids are usually regarded as potentially very problematic for the Chapuis. Good luck with your new rifle.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a good choice. The Lee Classic Cast press works well for me.

Mike

Posts: 21216 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

Thank you very much. I will try and take some pics this weekend.

Rojovin: Nope I went with the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme, it has a 4.5 inch window. I had my other Rockchucker for over 30 years, is still going strong.

JD: Another DR I would surely be divorced...LOL hey ya never know.

SGraves155: Thanks Steve I appreciate it.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

Well I posted pics under a new thread call "The French Connection" you can check out this French whore that finally got my money.

My lever is very stiff and hard to open, no I mean the one on the Chapuis Smiler Will this loosen up, or should I have it adjusted. The lock up seems very tight and close fit.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lever should loosen up after you have shot it some. That is normal in a new double.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would this also mean that if you purchase one of the new (gasp) Remington SPR 22 double–rifles shocker in (double gasp) 45-70 nilly we can join the DRSS? banana jumping

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PAhunter,

I so remeber my first double and the joy it brought me to finally own one. IT is a great feeling!
Congratulations on your awesome new double. And enjoy every spine tingling minute as you spend time getting acquainted with your new mistress. Cool

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Congratulations on the "New" mistress! I find the 470NE a pure pleasure to shoot! You will not be disappointed! Enjoy, and welcome to the DRSS!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike and Doc:

Thanks for the congrats, I always wanted a DR.

Now Doc, if you and your son can get it together, how about another DR piggy hunt for us Northeasterners again.

In PA we have Tioga Game Preserve that has a bunch if Piggys. Or we can do where you guys went last year. Hell we can even do Pigs with Pistols, 44 mag or better. I have a 4in. 500 S&W that I can take a piggy with.

Better yet... DR's and Pistols, ya must carry both. Nothing better than Big Bore Rifles and Pistols... dancing

I think I am loosing my mind...

Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
PAHunter

Big Bore Doubles and Pistols.... Cool

Yep, you will fit in with the DRSS just fine. Big Grin