Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis and solids
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Thin barrels, no warranty with monolithic solids.
I am getting a 9.3 Chapuis double, should be here soon. Have ordered some NF FPS and plan on ordering some Woodleigh solids.
Who here has had the experience of shooting the NF solids thru their Chapuis? Several folks have posted regarding good results with the Woodleighs, but I didn't find anyone who had said if they had had any problems with, or feared it too much to even try, the NF's in this brand double.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
If you use GSC drive band bullets (HV, FN and SP) in your double and the gun delaminates as a result of that, GSC will pay for the repair.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Gerard, Thanks for the info. Order sent.

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. What caliber is your Chapuis?

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
order placed for your 300gr flat-nose solids
Or would you recommend the 250 gr?

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't personally own a Chapuis, but in the past I have found it difficult to get overweight bullets to regulate in a double. As the Chapuis was regulated with 286 grain bullets, I wonder how the 300's would work out. But I have had good luck getting underweight bullets to regulate in doubles. For example, I have gotten 300 grain bullets to regulate in a Chapuis .470 which should take 500 grain bullets.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Dan, thanks. If I can't get the 300 gr'ers regulated, will drop down to next lower weight.
Got the Chapuis today. It can be swung with one-hand--something very difficult with my Merkel. Very mild recoil and very accurate. I put an old Leupold 1-4x on it. I don't think you can love a rifle, but I really like it a lot. Seems like being fickle with a woman to my old mauser .458, but it's my new favorite.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
Steve,
If you use GSC drive band bullets (HV, FN and SP) in your double and the gun delaminates as a result of that, GSC will pay for the repair.

Now that is an outstanding guarantee. I just may have to take back what I said about never using GS solids.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
If the Chapuis is at the standard 1:14" twist, use the 265gr FN and the 230gr HV, if you want a soft as well. These will be the easiest to get to shoot to the sights and will give the highest probability of linear penetration. There is little to choose between the 300gr and 265gr FNs on easy broadside shots but angled shots, going away or advancing, are best taken with the 265gr FN. The 230gr HV works well on soft skinned big game.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gerard. Just e-mailed gscustom to have order changed to 265gr.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NorthFork warns against using their bullets in the 9,3X74R Chapuis. I talked with them a month ago about just that. They feel the Chapuis barrels are too thin.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote