New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slings on a double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am undecided if I should have Butch add the studs or not. How many of you folks use a sling on your double?

I find using a sling improves my shooting with my bolt actions but never played around much with my Chapuis using the sling.

Would like to hear from others who have a lot more experience than me with doubles.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked Butch Searcy to add sling swivels to my .470NE, when I sent it to him for re-regulation. He would not do it...said that the webbing wasn't designed for studs, and it could cause regulation issues.
I like a sling...not for shooting, but to carry the heavy gun in our Hell's Canyon country, here in western Oklahoma.
I'm not educated enough to argue Butch's point on tapping into the webbing...just what he told me, so I don't have a sling on that gun.
My new/old Joseph Harkom 450BPE has studs. I plan to sling it...
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
by Snowwolf;
I am undecided if I should have Butch add the studs or not. How many of you folks use a sling on your double?

I find using a sling improves my shooting with my bolt actions but never played around much with my Chapuis using the sling.

Would like to hear from others who have a lot more experience than me with doubles.

Snowwolf, the use of a sling on a double rifle to steady the barrels while shooting is a NO NO. It will retard the barrel flip and destroy the regulation. The sling on a double rifle is for carrying the rifle only! All double rifles should have sling studds.

quote:
Originally posted by Nitrodave:
I asked Butch Searcy to add sling swivels to my .470NE, when I sent it to him for re-regulation. He would not do it...said that the webbing wasn't designed for studs, and it could cause regulation issues.
I like a sling...not for shooting, but to carry the heavy gun in our Hell's Canyon country, here in western Oklahoma.
I'm not educated enough to argue Butch's point on tapping into the webbing...just what he told me, so I don't have a sling on that gun.
My new/old Joseph Harkom 450BPE has studs. I plan to sling it...
ND Smiler

Nitrodave, what Butch was telling you is if sling studds are wanted on a double rifle they have to be installed before the barrels are regulated, by the studd actually being brazed between the barrels before the ribs are soldered on the barrels. To install them only to the rib will be a very weak attachment, and may pull the ribs off the barrels.

The Military "WRAP-UP" in the sling, no matter how they are mounted will not allow the barrels to flip under recoil, properly, and the rifle will not regulate. A double rifle must be allowed to recoil as it does when fire off hand, being in contact with only the shooter's face, hands and his shoulder to regulate properly.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If ordering a new double I would have sling studs fitted.

I usually do not hunt with a sling on a double.

I do use one when climbing into a pig, bear, leopard, etc. blind. I hang the gun over my neck in front.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Yes. Some tracking hunts might take quite a few hours, plus the return walk.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If you were hunting dogs, did you know it was right behind you?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Carrying the rifle is much easier with a sling. The sling should be removable quickly and quietly.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If building a new double, I would have sling studs installed. I'm not a huge fan of slings on tracks, especially elephant tracks, but walk long enough and you will be looking for any new way to carry any rifle. Slung is an ok option, especially when heading back to the truck.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you were hunting dogs, did you know it was right behind you?

Now THAT'S funny! clap

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emailed Butch today and he told me the rifle came with studs. Also told me the rear sight is now adjustable for elevation.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt with a sling on a double either, but I think they should have sling eyes. I carry a sling in a jacket pocket or day pack, with QD swivels (push button type, not screw), and snap it on when I need both hands free to climb, carry something else, etc. Once that's done, I take the sling back off. For hunting, it's just in the way.
-----------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
At some point in the life of any rifle there will be need for a sling. Especiely in AK. How many times do we need to free up our hands pushing alders out of the way or climbing a real steep hill with a walking staff etc.

I once shot a black bear on a hill above me about 150 yards with my 8x57 Merkel. It took 20 minuts to climb up to him with the rifle on my back and a hiking staff.
The photo shows only a little bit of how steep it was and some of the brush. If you look close you will see the sling but you well know what I'm talking about because you live here.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe

Why would Butch put an "adjustable" rear sight on a double? Just one more thing to get screwed up...at the most inopportune time!

Tell him you want a fixed standing rear (with a folding leaf or two if you really think you need it) and to take the extra time to file the damned thing in!

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Donald.
-----------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don and Mark,
You should see this new flip up sight I have found. It only flips down when I shoot the rifle. You'd love it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
Don and Mark,
You should see this new flip up sight I have found. It only flips down when I shoot the rifle. You'd love it.

Big Grin

Butch, can you post a picture of the adjustable rear?
------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
The sight I'm thinking of using is the Masterpiece rear sight from NECG. It is very rigid. The plan is to sight the rifle in here and allow the customer to make any adjustment for the sight picture he prefer's. Once he has that done the two screws are to be lock tighted in place not to be moved again. The reason is that I have customers that use 6 oclock holds and others that want to point of impact at the top of the bead. People don't like change. I have always set the sight picture on my rifles to see a full bead at the top of the line on the rear sight and the point of impact is the center of the bead.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good idea to me since I like to take a fine bead.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch. I understand the praticality of the adjustable NECG, but I think I prefer the non adjustable sight that you put on my 2006 PH.

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of an adjustable sight. However I own the NECG rear adjustable sight on a Lott and really detest the notch in the bottom of the blade. It makes the blade almost like a "buckhorn" and difficult to use. Make mine a traditional "V" blade and I'll love it.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You take the NECG rear sight and file a wide, shallow V in it. It is that way on all my big guns.

I just don't see the issue. I'd rather have an adjustable rear sight that shoots exactly where I want it rather than worry about looks and have it shoot to where someone else thinks it should.

If you just dovetail the NECG sight into the rib, then you could always have a traditional V sight made for it after you get it sighted-in.

That is, assuming you don't want Butch to go out of business from all the whining and bitching. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend, if you need a sling you are using your double incorrectly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is, assuming you don't want Butch to go out of business from all the whining and bitching

Naw Will, Butch is a class act. He is used to us bitchers and whiners. Wink

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

Slings like scopes are very practical, but if I wanted practical I would use a scoped bolt action.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buffalobeans:
My friend, if you need a sling you are using your double incorrectly.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ozhunter.I hunted but with HHK at chirresa last year and only wanted an old dagga boy also I wasn't intrested in finding a herd hoping for the best. On one of our walks we covered 14kms as the crow flies but was closer to 18 when we looked at a map,long bloody day. All good fun but i sure as hell wish I had a sling by the end of the day. If fitted with a quick release they would be very handy thumb

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goshoot:
Slings like scopes are very practical, but if I wanted practical I would use a scoped bolt action.

SmilerIt is evident, from your post above, that you Have very good eyesight, and that you have never humped a 12 or 13 pound rifle 15 or 20 klicks in 115 degree heat with no sling!

The scope and sling are add-ons that are put in place when the need arises. The rifle is carried without the scope or sling attached in a day pack carried by a tracker. When a shot is offered on a life time trophy that must be taken thourgh a small hole in the bush, the scope is attached so you can see that tiny bullet deflecting stick that is always there but unseen with the naked eye. Then the long walk back to the car on that return 15 klick walk when you are dog tired, the sling starts to show you why you have it, or in your case "WISH" you had it! Big Grin

.............. jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have come to think of them not as slings (I actually NEVER have used a sling to shoot) but as 'carrying straps' as that is the purpose they serve for me and I have them on ALL my rifles whether double,single or bolt. I use them and would be in trouble without them.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote