New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First off forgive me for asking all these questions. I just loaded up some rounds and am headed off to the range tonight. I noticed there is a small piece of metal sticking out under the front sight beyond the muzzle about 3/16s of an inch long and about 3/16's of an inch wide. It is coming out from the middle of where the barrels are joined and is more towards the right barrel than the left.
I asume this has something to do with the barrels being regulated but did the factory forget to cut it off?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's the wedge. I've seen a number of makers do that.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
It's on my Chapuis, too.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the regulating wedge.

Best thing to do..... leave it alone !!

If your rifle ever needs to be re-regulated it
is much easier for the technician to adjust the wedge when it sticks out.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I asume this has something to do with the barrels being regulated but did the factory forget to cut it off?

That's the regulating wedge and, no, they didn't forget to cut it off. Different makers do different things with it is all. Generally, the British dress it off even with the muzzles. In the event that re-regulation is required, that means a new wedge, which isn't a big deal. Most European makers, including Chapuis, tend to leave it as yours is.

Yes, I've noticed that it seems to be off center to the right on the Chapuis for some reason. I have no idea why it's like that, but strikes me as kinda odd too.
---------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I wouldnt know what to do without this forum.
Randy

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote