New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ranking of Double Rilfes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How would you rank the quality, shootability and value retention of the various double rifles out there. Here is a list, but not all inclusive -
Heym
Searcy
Chapuis
Merkel
Rigby (new company)
Old Rigby, Holland and Holland, etc. (older English guns in general)
Others?

THanks

Posts: 10206 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll go first since there has been 46 viewers and no responses.

IMO, there is no better value on the market today than the Chapuis UGEX in 9,3x74R. Finished very well, deadly accurate, and ejectors.
Sabatti might offer a great value but only time will tell how they hold up. But since they are not built for a person you have to accept the stock or replace it.
Mind you, my comments are "priced" based and not meant to take anything away from the other companies.
If I were looking to buy another double today in 450/400 to 500 Nitro it would be a Verney Carron or Searcy because either of them will build the rifle to fit me, and my left handednessSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK I'll go next. I have never owned a Heym but they are very well made guns. I do have Chapuis which I think are built like tanks and shoot really well. For the money they are hard to beat for a working gun. I have Verney Carron guns and they are higher grade than the Chapuis and Merkel guns for just a little more money. I am very pleased with them and Verney Carron people will stand behind their guns. Shoot great also. I've had Merkel and they are nice guns but I think I like the others better. In the smaller calibers I think Siace is a fine gun for the money. I love my 45-70's for hunting in the US. H&H who wouldn't want one!!!

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Shootability is extremely subjective and vague. Any gun that's accurate and fits you well will probably have "shootability". That said a well balanced English double handles like a dream. I'm not sure if handling is part of shootability. As far as quality and retaining value I'm not sure that there even needs to be a discussion on this one (all though I'm sure there will be). Old English guns hands down are works of art and retain their value and appreciate if taken care of at an uncomparable rate to any of the other makers mentioned. Thems just the facts. Other rifles may be a good value for the money, but that's not the same thing as being valuable or retaining value let alone appreciating in value. English doubles win hands down. And yes I am extremely partial to English doubles, but for good reason I'd say.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Merkels. Good solid guns built like brick sxxthouses, will last, always seem to be accurate. Not the best in terms of Balance in the bigger calibres. Hold value well.

I don't own a Chapuis but I do like the one's I've seen, used, held, carried. Again, always seem to be accurate. Can't comment on holding value but not that many seem to be sold.

Heym, only seen a few, always seem to hear good things and I believe them. Can't comment on holding value.

Searcy, same, and you guys are so lucky in the US to have someone like that. Can't comment on holding value.

Sabatti - Apart from them being in the lead on price, I think the Jury is still out on that one and will be for a while. IMHO, they still have to prove themselves over the long term. Seem to be some good shooters and some not so good shooters. Can't comment on holding value but I think they will not hold as well as others.

Baikal - cheap lumps of metal built to a price.
Not very good shooters from what I have seen so far. Holding value - the one's I have seen don't or haven't !!!

Rigby - US one - I think they have missed the boat and I really don't think they factor into people's thoughts anymore.

English guns - different ball game. Old one's hold value.

That's just my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dont know if this double ranks with the afore mentioned doubles but i have a fine jp sauer sxs 1894 era that is just plain a pleasure. even after 116 years of use still tight, accurate and well balanced i hunt with it every year for deer and have come to use it and nothing else. im sure it will never depreciate in value, shoot loose or be nothing but accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose it's a bit like ranking cars.

Most do the job very well, but clearly some are better than others.

In a perfect world, make mine a Holland and Holland. dancing

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever seen anything made by the British actually be better built than an equivalent German product?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Has anyone ever seen anything made by the British actually be better built than an equivalent German product?

Define "better".

Some German made guns are awesome, up there with the best. And some of it is in the clunkerphile region.

IMHO, I don't think you can go past the Webley actions - Screw Grip, PHV-1.

In German made, the Kersten lock up system is second to none.

Sidelocks - I haven't seen enough German one's to comment.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:

Kreigoff not so much. Some of the high end German and Belgian makers make some wonderful "English" guns. Every bit as good! I handled/oogled a couple at SCI this year that were every bit as nicely made/functional as any of the WR, H&H, and Purdeys. Sorry, but I don't remember who they were.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I'm going to butt in here for a second as I just saw a Merkle 470 dbl for sale on Alaska List for $8000 as new in Box with ammo in case that helps anyone choose

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Radar!! Look up the Battle of Britian.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lane,
Go to time out! You are hijacking my thread!
What is your ranking?

Posts: 10206 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knowing there would probably be just one double and wanting both quality and value.. I am very pleased with the Heym. Function/shootablity are a natural
and could not be more pleased. As to value it most likely would sell above the cost. Smiler

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My opines-

Searcy & Heym quality, a reasonable price. Excellent customer service on both.
Merkel, good quality rifles reasonable prices
Chapuis, good quality and price
Famars-beautiful they don't offer a 45/400
Verney-Carron, Haven't shot one, word is they are very nice double
Sabbati- Good bang for the bucks. The ones I have seen and shot & look good. An affordable entry into double rifles.

I have not seen a modern British double worth the money they are asking!

The best double is the one you like, can afford to buy, and hunt with. If your happy with your rifle. Life is good!
Once again just my opine.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Achtung! Achtung! Sacrilege! No one has mentioned the Blaser S2!! (See my thread "Tradition, Beauty...) The damn thing just shoots! It is #1 IMHO. #2 would be my Krieghoff in 500/416.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Its a personal thing, but my objects of desire are:
Westley Richards detachable lock in either .450/.475/.500 NE for DG;
Holland & Holland or Purdey 9,3x74 for boar; and
a pre-war Rigby .303

Those are the most desirable to me!

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:

Lane,
Go to time out! You are hijacking my thread!
What is your ranking?

Well...I am not an expert at all.

But...I recently bought a .500 NE double.

In my quest...I looked at all but had to rule out British doubles based price.

I critically evaluated Heym, Merkel, and Searcy.

I ranked those 3 as follows: 1) Merkel 2) Heym 3) Searcy.

I liked the expensive British doubles but really for a good tool...I did NOT think they were better. sofa

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I respectfully disagree, the top British makers employ the finest gun makers in the world. Skills past down by master to apprentice over generations, and taking upwards of 900 hours of skilled labor to complete. Not to mention the skills of the engravers as well that adorn these fine guns, as well as the history of the houses that manufacture them. Like anything you get what you pay for, and if you have never owned a $150,000.00 gun I suppose one would be not qualified to judge upon them as to value.

My favorite picks:
- James Purdey & Sons
- Westley Richards & Co.
- Holland & Holland
- Peter Nelson
- John Rigby [Pre-War]
- Dan'L Fraser [Pre-War], Nitro Doubles
- Alexander Henry [Pre-War], No top Lever Back Action Hammerless Model

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I respectfully disagree, the top British makers employ the finest gun makers in the world. Skills past down by master to apprentice over generations, and taking upwards of 900 hours of skilled labor to complete. Not to mention the skills of the engravers as well that adorn these fine guns, as well as the history of the houses that manufacture them. Like anything you get what you pay for, and if you have never owned a $150,000.00 gun I suppose one would be not qualified to judge upon them as to value.

My favorite picks:
- James Purdey & Sons
- Westley Richards & Co.
- Holland & Holland
- Peter Nelson
- John Rigby [Pre-War]

You can get a brand new bespoke Westley Richards BLE with scroll engraving for 50-55k. I realise that's a bit more than a Heym or Searcy, but it's also a lot more gun than a Heym or Searcy. I've handled Searcy and I've handled WR (Fraiser, Hollis, Wilkes, Holland, Purdey, Osborne, ect)...............not even close!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
I liked the expensive British doubles but really for a good tool...I did NOT think they were better. sofa

One of the biggest differences between the newer non English rifles I've handled and shot and the English doubles I've handled and shot (aside from engraving, wood/metal fit, quality, ect) is the feel of the rifle. They just knew how to make a gun feel right in your hands. It's the same thing when I pick up my Francotte shotgun. It isn't necesarily an "English thing". It is however a know what the hell you're doing thing. They knew/know how to make a gun fit your hand, balance well, and subsiquently handle like a dream. I've not found that in ANY of the new/non English guns I've handled. Not saying they are all horrible.........except the Blasers Roll Eyes sorry just NOT a fan!!!............I'm just saying they are all in varying degrees of not as handleable???????if that's a word??????????

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can get a brand new bespoke Westley Richards BLE with scroll engraving for 50-55k. I realise that's a bit more than a Heym or Searcy, but it's also a lot more gun than a Heym or Searcy. I've handled Searcy and I've handled WR (Fraiser, Hollis, Wilkes, Holland, Purdey, Osborne, ect)...............not even close!

Brett

I was referring to a droplock in regards to WR, and best guns only by the firms. I agree with you that once you have shot and handled a best British gun, nothing compares.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
How would you rank the quality, shootability and value retention of the various double rifles out there. Here is a list, but not all inclusive -
Heym
Searcy
Chapuis
Merkel
Rigby (new company)
Others?

Thanks

My choice in this list are:

#1 Old Rigby~ Made between the wars

#2 Holland & Holland ~ made between the wars

#3 The NEW Searcy classic~ A very nicely done double much improved rifle

#4 Heym~ IMO the best modern working double rifle for the price today.

#5 Merkel ~ With some customer modifications is a true value for money spent, and made on a classic Britt styling.

#6 Chapuis ~ I’ve never seen one that wasn’t very accurate. The finish on the metal is superb, the wood is nice but the wood shape, especially the fore wood’s Beaver tail shape make the very thin barrels look like threads rather than rifle barrels. With a complete stock change, to a more classic styling, and two inches longer, thicker barrels this would be a very nice double rifle, it has everything else.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

# 56 California Rigby~ The only thing I can find good about the California Rigby is that it is built on a Merkel action, and they simply are not worth the price asked for them new, and IMO will never appreciate in value.
IMO all these doubles will appreciate in value once they are very old, and have been cared for properly. The thing that folks seem to never consider is, the classic rifle made way back did not always appreciate in value. When they were 10 or fifteen years old they were simply used rifles, and were sold as such. This is because the same rifle could still be bought new, and made to order.

This is the case with modern double rifles! As long as the same rifle can be bought new, the used ones will simply be used rifles. Once these rifles are 80 or 90 years old, and the same rifle cannot be bought new, you will see the prices jump very quickly. One example is, even with the off the shelf Merkel, the 140-1 has just been discontinued, and I for one consider it a better rifle than the new 141 rifles that replaced it. The price on these 140-1s has already gone up passed the new price most were bought at, because they haven’t been imported for some time into the USA, and now that they will no longer be made at all, you will see used ones, in good shape, jump in price very quickly. I have one of the 140E-1s and I certainly wouldn’t sell it for twice what I paid for it. I bought it ten years ago brand new for $4110.oo US.

There are, of course, a lot more double rifle than those mentioned here and they will all command a price commensurate with demand, and condition!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Again...I shoot a lot. In the distant past...shot a lot of "pigeons" Wink. I shoot pigeons with a Win 23. To my odd taste...I don't get the hype of the feel of Brit doubles. Good rifles no doubt...just not $50K good to me. In shotgun competition these days...I don't see anything but K-guns.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:
My favorite picks:
- James Purdey & Sons
- Westley Richards & Co.
- Holland & Holland
- Peter Nelson
- John Rigby [Pre-War]

Oooh, I forgot about those! I saw a stunning .577 Fraser and .450BPE Henry - serious drool material! Wink

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

#5 Merkel ~ With some customer modifications is a true value for money spent, and made on a classic Britt styling.

#6 Chapuis ~ I’ve never seen one that wasn’t very accurate. The finish on the metal is superb, the wood is nice but the wood shape, especially the fore wood’s Beaver tail shape make the very thin barrels look like threads rather than rifle barrels. With a complete stock change, to a more classic styling, and two inches longer, thicker barrels this would be a very nice double rifle, it has everything else.

I'd trade the Searcy for Verney Carron (sp?) at 4 and move Hyem up to 3. I know Butch is a great guy and stands by his product, but I keep seeing or hearing about problems with his product. Just a lot of problems/send backs.....which to Butch's credit he does with class. One might argue that his customer service is all the reason to go with a Searcy....I might argue that I won't have to use someone else's customer service, so what does it matter? That said if they didn't have problems I'd rank them higher. If I had to go with something not English I'd probably look at Verney Carron and Heym.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know one day I`LL sell a few of my vintage mausers and winchesters to sponser a Westley Richards doublerifle in .577nitro built in classic style.That would for me be toprank Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This entire ranking thing doesnt make sense unless somehow you can plug in a factor that takes into consideration the purchase price. Goes without saying that most people are going to like a 100K rifle more than one costing 12K. But the point is, do you really get enough to justify the 88K price difference?

My 30 06 Baikal will shoot 4 shots (2 from each barrel) into a 1 1/4 inch group at 50 yards. And the last three Baikals I've sold recently returned an average 65% profit for each. But that doesnt mean I would prefer the Baikal over a better built rifle. Which, dang near any double is built better than the Baikals

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Heym
Searcy
Chapuis
Merkel
Rigby (new company)
Others?

Thanks

# 56 California Rigby~ The only thing I can find good about the California Rigby is that it is built on a Merkel action, and they simply are not worth the price asked for them new, and IMO will never appreciate in value.
IMO all these doubles will appreciate in value once they are very old, and have been cared for properly. The thing that folks seem to never consider is, the classic rifle made way back did not always appreciate in value. When they were 10 or fifteen years old they were simply used rifles, and were sold as such. This is because the same rifle could still be bought new, and made to order.

This is the case with modern double rifles! As long as the same rifle can be bought new, the used ones will simply be used rifles. Once these rifles are 80 or 90 years old, and the same rifle cannot be bought new, you will see the prices jump very quickly. One example is, even with the off the shelf Merkel, the 140-1 has just been discontinued, and I for one consider it a better rifle than the new 141 rifles that replaced it. The price on these 140-1s has already gone up passed the new price most were bought at, because they haven’t been imported for some time into the USA, and now that they will no longer be made at all, you will see used ones, in good shape, jump in price very quickly. I have one of the 140E-1s and I certainly wouldn’t sell it for twice what I paid for it. I bought it ten years ago brand new for $4110.oo US.

There are, of course, a lot more double rifle than those mentioned here and they will all command a price commensurate with demand, and condition!

Mac, assuming price is not in the equation, what makes a "between the wars" Holland better than the current ones? beer

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
Mac, assuming price is not in the equation, what makes a "between the wars" Holland better than the current ones? beer

For me the only thing is history. It's great to hold an old rifle and wonder about what it's seen and done!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I would take a Heym with two barrels 375 flanged, scoped, and 500 nitro over all of the ones listed.

If one of you lovers of English doubles would buy my Boswell I would do it.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
I would take a Heym with two barrels 375 flanged, scoped, and 500 nitro over all of the ones listed.

If one of you lovers of English doubles would buy my Boswell I would do it.

What's you Boswell?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
450-400 3 1/4"
Extractor
Circa 1905

I can appreciate the old English doubles but have come to prefer a true working gun. Love my Krieghoff and when I look at it there is no wondering where it has been. I remember every shot I took with it to kill one elephant and four buffalo.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
[Mac, assuming price is not in the equation, what makes a "between the wars" Holland better than the current ones? beer

The rifles made between 1914 and the first of WWII are simply the cream of the crop of UK double rifles. The problems that cropped up between the end of the black powder, and the final perfection of the smokeless double rifles, and in the opinion of most double rifle collectors rifles made in this envlope of time are simply flawless, and command a premium price.

Don'r get me wrong, if I could afford them, I would order a pair of Westley Richards double rifles made to fit. One chambered for 375 Fl Mag, and the other chambered for 450NE 3 1/4" both clasic rifles, and chamberings! Still I don't consider the doubles made today to quite be the quality over all as the ones made between the wars! I do think any of the name UK makers produce as good as one can buy NEW today!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Heym
Searcy
Chapuis
Merkel
Rigby (new company)
Others?

Thanks

Mac it's not often we disagree, I got a merkel and a chapuis in 470, With out doing anything to the chapruis it had a better balance and feel than my merkel. A little work and the merkel feels right. They shoot about the same slight edge to the merkel, but the triggers on the chapruis have not been reworked yet. Two stock gun's I would go chapruis. The merkel cleaned up nice with a little stock work and trigger work, i am going to have to see if it helps the chapruis. The wide fore arm of the chapruis is ok and makes for a nice carry and a easier rifle to shoot when the barrels get hot.

I shot and handled jack williams calf. rigby in 500 nitro. The fit and finish was perfect, it shot very well with 600 gr woodlieghs, they were almost touching at 25 yards. recoil was very pleasent for a 500. He has owned it for quite some time and it was a early model.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I am a fan and a user of British doubles made in the early 1900's, and I have a 9,3x74R Chapuis taht I have used a great deal, and really like.

However, for the money you pay, the best feeling,handling, most rugged double rifle you can buy today is, IMHO, the Heym.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I am a fan and a user of British doubles made in the early 1900's, and I have a 9,3x74R Chapuis that I have used a great deal, and really like.

However, for the money you pay, the best feeling,handling, most rugged double rifle you can buy today is, IMHO, the Heym.

They are a good double rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Gentlemen, I am a fan and a user of British doubles made in the early 1900's, and I have a 9,3x74R Chapuis that I have used a great deal, and really like.

They are a good double rifle.

I am certain they are a good rifle. However...I looked at several side X side with Merkels. The Merkels always seemed to have the best fit and finish. To my body...the Merkels point well and fit me good. I like their fore-end better. Now...I have shot a Merkel in .500 NE a little. And...it is accurate and does not kick that bad...and...I don't profess to get a "high" from recoil! Wink I actually hate it!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Rifles are like military commands and women;

the best one is the next one and the worst one was the last one!

Seriously though, the best double rifle is the one you have. A Baikal, for all that, still is a DR and sets the owner apart from posuers that pine for one, like yours truly...

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am certain they are a good rifle. However...I looked at several side X side with Merkels. The Merkels always seemed to have the best fit and finish. To my body...the Merkels point well and fit me good. I like their fore-end better. Now...I have shot a Merkel in .500 NE a little. And...it is accurate and does not kick that bad...and...I don't profess to get a "high" from recoil! Wink I actually hate it!

Ledvm, I agree that the Merkels are good rifles, and also more appropriately weighted to the 470NE, a little light for the 500NE, heavy for the 375 H&H not to mention the chambering of the 375 H&H, and 416 Rigby in a double rifle being, IMO a mistake. Like you the Merkels fit me well, and handle well, especially in the 140E-1 model a little better than the 140-2. They seem very accurate as well.

Having said that the only thing I can fault the Heym side by side double rifle with is they seem to be slightly underweight across the board, no matter the chambering. The thing that makes the Heym a better rifle to me is, many of the features that come standard. Things like intercepting sears ( a big plus) selective ejectors, and so a plus where re-sale is concerned. The feel, to me , is a little more lively than my Merkels, making them very easy to shoot instinctively. Chris had a 450/400NE 3” Heym down at the 4K ranch at the DRSS get together, and on a windy day with balloons tethered on a line stretched between two trees, I had not trouble at all, hitting the bouncing balloons with one, two hits snap shooting. That can only be accounted for by the rifle fitting me well, and balance being spot on! That rifle felt like my 500/450 Westley Richards seemingly like an extension of my body.

Of course that may not feel the same for everyone, and like you my instinctive shooting with my Merkels is very good as well, but the Heym has a distinct advantage in that department for me! I will say if they were both close to the same price, the tiny differences between the two my choice would be the Heym. With the price differential, however, the tiny advantages of the Heym,doesn't make up for the differnece in the price, and so the Merkel is the winner IMO!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith