THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A few Double Rifle Cape Buffalo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few Double Rifle Cape Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
Well team,
I made it back from a Week of hunting in Zim. This was my 8th trip to Africa, and my 4th trip to Zimbabwe. It was a quick adventure and the hunting was a bit difficult.
Day one was a 14 HR drive from JNB to the hunting camp in Gwayi Zimbabwe. Day two, our first day of hunting was a bust...nothing but tracks. On day three I was told to kill the first animal I saw...the boys in camp needed meat. In the evening at last light we got into a group of buffalo but it was too late to make out any trophy bulls. There was a cow in front of the group and the camp manager told me to shoot her. I switched rifles to my scoped 450 Dakota and put her on the ground. Three shots using 450 grain Barnes X-bullets. The first shot was in the lungs and would have done the job, however my Dakota holds 4 bullets, so I kept shooting until she hit the ground.

Day Four and five were full of long walks and blown stalks. We saw lots of Sable, some Kudu, a few Eland, and lots of Elephant. The buffalo in this area have been hunted hard and are very nervous. There were also several reports of Lion around and the large groups of buffalo had split up. None the less the hunting was quite the adventure.

On Day Six we got up early and went to the water hole at sun up. Fresh tracks were found and we set off immediately. In less than 20 minutes we were on the buffalo. The first bull to go down to the Searcy 470 is my best buffalo to date...41" outside spread!

Not Wanting to leave anything for the group hunting next week I decided to take this bull too. It measured 36".

Here is a photo of them together.

Day Seven was a drive back to South Africa and Day Eight was the long flight home. Never again will I do a Safari in 8 Days, I spent more time flying and driving then I did hunting. A few side notes...Zimbabwe is going down fast. Food and Fuel are impossible to find. In the cities there is no Water or electricity. I was amazed at how up beat the people of Zim are despite the poor living conditions. Life in the bush is still good, provided you have fuel to keep the water pumps running. The camp staff said things will change this December, and the people of Zim are willing to fight for their freedom.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well done Roscoe! Congratulations. I guess that you got the stock crack taken care of?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Well done! thumb

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Well done Roscoe! Congratulations. I guess that you got the stock crack taken care of?

Mike,
Butch still has my Deluxe 470 for the repair. The one in the photos is my PH grade 470 that lives in Africa.

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My doubles would love to live in Africa, but I will not let them. I will take them to visit from time to time. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOOD JOB ROSCOE !!

the camp staff must have been smoking something when they told you things will change in december. only way that will happen is if uncle bob dies of old age. the SHONA will not fight - they are not fighters at all. and the government killed off about 35% of the nedebele tribe which was the warrior tribe.

i have been an ardent zim watcher since my first visit there in 2000 and subsequent returns since.

the people there have no backbone for a fight. they just give in to whatever the government says.

if you asked them in private, they would tell you "the hell with this uhuru crap " ! bring back rhodesia.

at least there everything worked, the country was prosperous, and you could earn a decent living.

just goes to prove that ruling a country is not a job for those not long down from the trees !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
ROSCOE,
eight days or not,looks like it was a swell hunt & a job well done Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Congrats Roscoe - very nice!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

And how about the front sight?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great work, Roscoe!

Looks like a super hunt. I particularly like the last photo with you posing between the two game scouts. Early celebration that day?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
just goes to prove that ruling a country is not a job for those not long down from the trees !

You're being sarcastic, right? I find that the comment lacks class irregardless. Perhaps I'm not reading it right... If this isn't supposed to be biggotry, then I apologize. Confused

ROSCOE- Job well done, and good looking buffs.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congrats Roscoe! Fun Ain't it?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real Good Big Buff! clap Sorry to hear of ZIM'S decline. Frowner Even the exteme left wing mouth piece,

Rock Star BONO, lefty a very active "Save The Africans" guy, admitted openly during the past year

that our sitting president G W Bush has put forth a huge effort to improve things in Africa. saluteclappatriot

And, that the biggest problem in the continent is the INDIGENOUS CORRUPT POLITICIANS!!!!! lefty
THEY CONTINUE TO DIG THE GRAVE OF THE GREATEST WONDERLAND FOR WILDLIFE EVER!!! diggin

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, sir! Well done!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
ROSCOE,
WAY TO GO!!! Nice BUFF! Either way you look at it, 8 days are better than no days.

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE!!! CONGRATS!!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Great buff. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the Buff! I know the situation was dire in July and can only imagine it has continued to decline. I hope the country can work together and come up with a solution because they do have it all.

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc52:
ROSCOE,
WAY TO GO!!! Nice BUFF! Either way you look at it, 8 days are better than no days.

Ain't that the truth!! Congrats, looks like fun, I'm envious.

BTW, Jim Manions post is a hoot.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a very successful quick hunt.

The area where the buff lie looks very open. How close did you get to them for the shot?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:

You're being sarcastic, right? I find that the comment lacks class irregardless. Perhaps I'm not reading it right... If this isn't supposed to be biggotry, then I apologize. Confused

ROSCOE- Job well done, and good looking buffs.

No Madden, you read it right. Pure class, ain't he?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Congratulations on a very successful quick hunt.

The area where the buff lie looks very open. How close did you get to them for the shot?

Allen,
Shots we around 70 yards on the cow and the second bull. The larger bull was shot a little closer. The water hole sits on the edge of an open area. We were able to stalk them by staying in the brush on the edges. The problem with this area was that the buffalo were living in a forest area where we were not allowed to hunt. We got lucky the last day and were able to get onto the group before it went into the forest. I cant tell you how many times we would track buffalo only to find them located in the area we could not hunt. Late seaseon kind of sucks in this area due to the lack of water. Early in the season there are more animals in the center of the concesion, and more of the traditional stalk hunting is possible. Non the less I still had a great trip.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
ROSCOE,

Hey ROSCOE! LOOK! Doc actually spelled all of the words right in his post!

Write this date down in the history books!

Sorry, dad, couldn't help it.

ROSCOE, in any event, congratulations. You are a ture friend and I am honored that you shared this information with us. I look forward to sharing the next camp fire with you!

If you are ever in the great DC area, please let me know.

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:

You are a ture friend...

lol

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

MAN!, Ih aintah laffin at that thar one, fur shore, couse I can't spell spellin!

............... sofa diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
ROSCOE,

ROSCOE, in any event, congratulations. You are a ture friend and I am honored that you shared this information with us. I look forward to sharing the next camp fire with you!

If you are ever in the great DC area, please let me know.

Doc I feel your pain...I can't spell worth a shit and wish Saeed would figure out some way to add spell check to this place.....

As for the hunt, I hope some day to enjoy an African camp fire with you and your father....along with several other DRSS members. Until then we still have Texas...

Cheers!

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
ROSCOE,
AMEN, my Brother!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so enviousSmiler
Sorry to hear that Zim keeps on getting worse as I had visions of taking my wife over there with me in a year or two.
Roscoe,
Keep up the good work.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote