Find
Notify
Tools

New DRSS Hog record!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
One of our newest members now has bragging rights to having killed the largest (free ranging,fair chase,non baited) hog with a Double. Saturday the 20th I called Chris Hughes to invite him down for a Sunday stroll in the 95 deg MS Delta heat in hopes of getting a little practice with the Doubles. Chris was game so the next day we met at 2pm and drove out to the hunt area. Chris brought the ole hog slaying Merkel 470 NE that I bought from Bal and sold to Chris (regretfully!!! he wouldnt take the 500 Mad) and I was packing the Merkel 500. After walking a couple of miles I began to pick up the scent of the beast and zeroed in on their location. Many grueling hours passed, Chris was beginning to hallucinate (he was in the Navy, cant take the tough conditions as a Marine) and I was getting a little thirsty myself, but we pressed on. With evidence of hogs increasing we went into full stalk mode. During this time of day, in this kind of heat, the hogs are going to be lounging in the mud and if one is not careful, walk right up on them and blow the ambush. Having spotted a nice aray of honeysuckle vine I stopped to freshin the bouquet arrangement in the spare loop on my Mike Jines multifuntion wrist band ammo caddy when out of the corner of my eye caught sight of what appeared to be a large beast!! Chris quietly made his way to my position so we could discuss the plan of engagement. The hog was sleeping in the mud about 30 yards away with its back to us so we had total element of suprise. Ten minutes of "rock,paper scissors", Chris wins the right to shoot so we both agree to allow the beast a fair chance. I remain in place next to the honeysuckle, filming with my phonecam and Chris slowly makes his way to the animal. Within less than 20 yards the beast stands and just as it got one foot on the bank of the ditch Chris drilled it between the shoulders with a 500 gr woodleigh! A split second follow up seals the deal! At this point we still do not realize just how big this hog is until we cross the ditch and its at our feet! shocker Long story short we recruit the help of friends with a tractor, get the hog to my hanger and weigh it, 430# beer. The Taxidermist weighed it at 440#, either way it is a big animal and wonderful trophy for Chris to display in his new home! May I also mention it was Chris' first kill with his Double, and first kill using ammo loaded himself! Needless to say we were both very excited!! Enjoy the pictures.......

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Very nice pig! Congratulations.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
FANTASIC!

You tell a great story (and I needed the laughs this morning) and it has great ending. beer

Congrats to all!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's no hog, it's a Mississippi hippo!

Awesome!

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One can never have too much gun!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Awesome hog!!!
you guys gave me a good laugh,glad to see the Merkel is doing so well,sure sounds like you had a good time,honeysuckles and all Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and nice hog. I like the style; Mississippi hog with a fine double. Congrats. Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff!! Congrats and thanks for sharing!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a heckuva Rooter!!!! Good story too, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome, well done.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
That's a big hog! Congratulations.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
great story -- and great hog...

what boots is he wearing?

oh, and its fair chase if you pass them over in their sleep .. its harder that way! if they don't wake up from muzzle blast to bullet hit, you have em 200db of warning!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
that is certainly a new drss record... well done chris!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That hog is a hog.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't have done it without my professional hog guide, who was very highly compensated. No beer left after getting that thing out! It was a lot of fun.

DRSS

Posts: 29 | Location: Madison, Mississippi | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
WOW! tu2

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe... That reminds me of "the one that hot away" or three legged "lucky"

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG, Chris! Man what a HOG! I'm surprised there was enough beer for the both of you!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
WTG, Chris! Man what a HOG! I'm surprised there was enough beer for the both of you!

Rusty, I believe Kelly has two tanks on his truck one for petrol the other for beer. Nice hog Chris, you're ruined for life hog huntin.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't get much better than that...

congratulations,

Rich
DRSS 470 NE

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just had a thought.

Might be a World DR Hog record.

Not many get that big in the rest of the world
and the chances of one being taken by a DR ?

FYI, a guy in Australia shot a wild Pygmy Hippo when pig shooting as it was running away - thought it was a big boar. Turns out it was an escapee from years ago although how it survived living in croc country, god only knows.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting... To muuch fun...
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That is one big hunk of some nasty eating. Congrats.

Mike

Posts: 21718 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jeffe, If your talking about Chris that is a snake boot and I would guess Danner. I have a pair of Chippewas I have almost worn out so will probably try a Danner next.

Speaking of snakes, a few weeks ago I caught a large Cotton mouth for one of my employers to have mounted. That snake measured 3' 8" alive which is pretty darn big for one of these. When Chris and I returned to the hog with our helpers there was one at least this big waiting for us right next to the hog! Using a stick I slung him across the ditch sparing its life so Bal can play with him next weekend when he comes down to chase hogs. jumping

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Sooie! That hawg was a pig!

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Hey man I am not afraid of no snakes,got one of my own he he he,

quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
quote:

Jeffe, If your talking about Chris that is a snake boot and I would guess Danner. I have a pair of Chippewas I have almost worn out so will probably try a Danner next.

Speaking of snakes, a few weeks ago I caught a large Cotton mouth for one of my employers to have mounted. That snake measured 3' 8" alive which is pretty darn big for one of these. When Chris and I returned to the hog with our helpers there was one at least this big waiting for us right next to the hog! Using a stick I slung him across the ditch sparing its life so Bal can play with him next weekend when he comes down to chase hogs. jumping

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats one BOSS HOG
Pologies couldnt resist dancing

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Hey Jeffe... That reminds me of "the one that hot away" or three legged "lucky"

lucky was bigger.. died of either a heart attack or the 458 AR Neal put in his keister

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Damn!!! Big pig!!!!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one nice HOG.

Well done... Big Grin tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a double-good hunt, Gents-

with "muy grande" results!

Congrats to you both and thanks for sharing the double-good story.

Interesting History, btw, at:
http://www.wrigley.com/global/brands/doublemint.aspx

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/tri183.html

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
That would be a nice pig with a bolt action!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Kelly:

I still hold the hog record. THAT hog was not harvested at a DRSS event.

Bite me.

You still hold second place!

Pauly

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
flame flame flame yuck
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Kelly:

I still hold the hog record. THAT hog was not harvested at a DRSS event.

Bite me.

You still hold second place!

Pauly

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Paul, we will settle this at 4K at sundown! (insert whistling tune from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly here)

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
Paul, we will settle this at 4K at sundown! (insert whistling tune from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly here)

...might ought to do this at high noon - you'll be shootin' pigs at sundown Wink

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote