Find
Notify
Tools

It's a Miracle!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Too many birthdays! Yep that's what the Dr. told me was the cause! The problem. . .Couldn't see my iron sights! Even worse I could not shoot my 450/400 3 inch without contourting around my cheater glasses! Damned frustrating!

Years ago at JJ Pardeau gunshop in Enid I had seen a small holigraphic sight on a H&H Dominion
double rifle. Maybe that would work?
Flash foward to a picture I saw on our forum of a double rifle in Africa with a Burris FastFire on it. Could it work for me?
I also realized that I was one of the owners of a manufacturing facility. So thanks to my General Manager Howard Blount, Dustin and Sean of Dustin Mounts in Houston I got the standing leave drifted off and sent to the shop. A few weeks later the mount for the Burris Fastfire was ready and after a bit of tweeking, it was put on the Hollis!

Dustin and Sean bore sighted the Burris and I went gleefully skipping off to the range! dancing OK, I drove!

And talk about your happy dance!!!!!! 50 yards rifle in hand, hand on bags, stock free against my shoulder.

I can see the sights, I can see the target! YeeeeHaaaawww! I was so excited I pulled the second right high! I'm still grinning!
I have missed my Hollis, big time!

Here piggy, piggy!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Glad to see it is working out for you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow

most impressive, I really like the fit and look of it,

usefull to I guess to venture in reference to the results.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Those little Burris FastFire sights are neat. I have one on .458 that has held up so far (probably 50-75 rounds). They are so compact compared to what you typically see in holographic sights. It was very smart of you to let Dustin sight it in though. That was a bit of a pain to do.

Congrats!

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
next we see each other,I hope you have it with you,I would like to try this setup.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
clap clap clap jumping

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Rusty, just remember to turn it on when you need it. stir clap

Looking forward to trying it out sometime. thumb

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty thumb Looks great!

Keith, since those batteries last 3 to 5 years, just turn it on when you get off the plane, turn it off when you leave. Big Grin

The Doctor Optic, Burris Fast Fire,& Trijicon sights are great for hunting rifles, especially doubles.

I have shot some very good groups at 100 yards with my DO. Aleko of Heritage Arms shot a 5 shot sub one inch group at 100 yards out of my 19 3/4" 308.

I have no trouble hitting a 9"x12" steel late at 300 yards with a 308.

They are much faster up close than iron sights.

That is why almost all SWAT teams and US Soldiers use red dot sights.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hmmm, Now there is an idea. Dont have a double but this should work just as well on my big bolts. Thanks for the suggestion.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good Rusty. I too saw the picture and sent my Merkel to Herbert at Merkel USA and he milled a Weaver base to fit over my rib, drilled and tapped the rib and installed a Trijicon red dot sight on the Weaver base and also sighted it in at 50 meters. Great idea for us guys that can't see the open sights.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta try it soon. Maybe that slot in my rib for a scope mount would work. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thing you can keep on shooting your prize gun(one of them)..Me too are shooting ironsights in general, and once accustomed to it, I rarly use a scoped rifle
Good for you Rusty...good work from Champlins aswell patriot

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Looks good. How many MOA does the red dot subtend at 50 yards?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13661 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
According to the manual . . ."Subtension of the aiming dot: 4MOA (10.5 cm@100m)

Jens,
the of fitting of the FastFire to the rifle was done by Dustin Mounts of Houston TX.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
According to the manual . . ."Subtension of the aiming dot: 4MOA (10.5 cm@100m)

Jens,
the of fitting of the FastFire to the rifle was done by Dustin Mounts of Houston TX.

oh well...maybe now I need a powerful scope to read posts holycow... Good work anyway

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a dog's breakfast but better than retiring your favorite rifles. Did you consider some sort of aperture sight? If so why is this a better option? Happy shooting!

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Actually two reasons why I went with the Burris FastFire on my vintage British Double Rifle.

To install an aperture type sight or a differant type of holographic sight, would have required substantially more time and work that I didn't want done to my rifle. The Burris is a drift on, and a drift off to replace my standing leaf insert which I still have.

When I do put a "scope" on my Hollis, I will put CLAW mounts on the rifle. Classic mounts for a classic rifle. I'm just not ready to do that yet.

The Burris provided, as it has turned out, a way to shoot my rifle accurately and not to bugger it up for the future!

No one likes change, least of all double rifle folks. But, times do change. Technology changes. Eyes get older, retinas detach, focus at a few inches become problematic and far away looks just fine, just not at the same time like it used to be.

I hope this explains my reasoning.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Thanks for the reply. I'm faced with going all scopes or coming up with something like you have. All of the things i've considered have a downside. Your solution may be the best I can do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish Burris had a 1 to 2 minute dot instead of a 4.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or better yet IMHO, one that is adjustable. I think I'll put one of these on a 22 and see how I like it before I try one on a hunting rifle.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Eotech has some with 1 MOA dots (and available larger circle) and windage adjustments (may have elevation too -- mine was dead on so I would have to check) but they are bulkier. I have one but not on a double.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SWFA shows a FastFire II along with the original verison --- only $10 difference but the II has waterproof on the front while the original doesn't. Is that the only difference?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I have been on a personal campaign to get Gary Turner at Talley to manufacture a mount for the Dr. Optic sight. My Searcy has the Talley bases and sure some of you must have Talley bases on your rifles. The Dr. Optic will make a perfect combination. The Burris sight has nearly the same footprint. Surely he would build a mount for it, too.

Please call Gary and let him know if you would buy one.

josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The EO Tech is too big and heavy for a double rifle. Its small dot and 65 MOA outer circle is more suited to combat than to hunting.

A 3.5 to 4 Minute dot is perfect for what this type of sight is designed for.

For fast and furious use anything smaller would not be easily picked up.

These type of sights are avialable with larger MOA dots, but they are designed for very close up use on a handgun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Trijicon red dot sights. Mine is 4 MOA. IIRC, Ganyana's article indicated that the Trijicons outlasted the Burris on big bores.

I like the Talley Idea, since I have a lot of Talley mounts.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

A Burris FastFire II arrived today. Looks like a nice small unit. I got one with a Picatinny rail mount as I intend to make my own mount and figured that the extra mount might be used on another firearm.

Was initially a little concerned about the small screen so I mounted it on an IPSC Open Class race pistol with the Picatinny mount and went to play on pepper poppers.

Works just like a Serendity or a Holosight! Small screen doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

Will start milling out a new base for the Searcy rear sight dovetail when I can get some information on the dimensions of it. As the base has to have 4 pin that seat into to sight, looks like the base will have to be made of steel rather than aluminum. This could be fun.

Thanks for the tip Rusty!

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike,
YOu are most welcome! I hope yo have great success with your sight as I have had with mine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb BIG time, Rusty!

You have seen the light... Quite literally. Big Grin

I'll show this to my uncle who also has problems in seeing the sights. He's obtained some cheap-o scope which doesn't help the situation too much at all.
Me and my father, again, are red-dot concerts. We've been using the Docter sight (similar to the Burris, but THE original) w/ 3.5MOA dot for some time now, and I just got one for my m/1895 Winchester, too. It's by far the fastest sighting concept available and as it blocks no field of view, very useful in all other conditions except in the dark.
Not a paid advert, but the Docter comes with most mounts available on the market thus making it possible to fit on any rifle on the market.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having been an IPSC shooter for some years I like red dot sights and have used quite a few different brands.

After reading abt Rusty's success I acquired a FastFire II (Dr Optic units are MUCH more expensive!) and determined that I'd make my own mount that fit into the dovetail normally holding the rear sight. Butch told me that it is a 60 degree dovetail.

Set out with a 1" x 1" x 2 1/8" block of 1018 and a bunch of measurements from the FastFire II and my old Searcy Field grade. Made a fixture that would allow me to hold the work piece as it approached 1/10" thick and started milling away the excess. Ah ... makin' chips!

Am at the last stages ... check the fit of the dovetail, remove, and then finish.

Here are pics of the base on a FastFire:

Just did the first test install to make sure the dovetail fit and that the platform has just a little clearance over the quarter rib. Amazingly, everything actually fit with a minimum of file work! Here are pics on the rifle.

Isn't finished yet ... there are 4 pins align the scope to the base to be made and inserted into the platform, and the thing needs to be sanded, sandblasted, and surface coated. But I think it's not a bad start Wink

Mike

--------------

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Looks great! WTG!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike looks great...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Are you sure this isn't more what you wanted? Eeker

(There are some things you just can't unsee)

Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Sorry Rick, but that is FUGLY in so many ways!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Rick is a very good friend. And he KNOWS how to yank my chain!!!

Congrats Rick ... you're right ... somethings you just can't "unsee!" Oh my, THAT is UGLY.

Mike

--------------

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just the right amount of "under statement"!

Yep can't wait for a tach rail on the underib of a double rifle to mount your laser or flashlight! Eeker animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to be sure, when using a sight like this,

is it correct that the rifle needs NO front sight

at all?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack
You do not need any "iron" sights with a red dot.
Also the dot does not have to be centered in the "screen".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
450 is right. The device projects a dot on the little glass screen. You put the dot where you want the bullet hole and it goes. I have no idea how it works, but it is cool.

I have the Dr Optics sight on a single shot 300wm and was tinkering on the range with it last weekend and shot a 5 shot 1 1/2" group. It surprised me, but it you line the dot up one the same target each time the accuracy is excellent. It is at least as accurate as the best hunting type iron sights.

josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a form of Druid Magic. Something to do with sacrificing a virgin on a full moon to get the red liquid. That's why the Dr is so expensive, must be made in Texas!!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Hope others here see the light er um red dot in how cool this is albeit not traditional.

Makes for fast target aquisition dont it.

A red dot set up on a lever/bolt action where you can use irons or the red dot with an altered high see through weaver ring would be sweet.

Lop off the ring part and make a base for the red dot.

Now there is a product!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote