THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Thinking Hard about CHAPUIS for FIRST DOUBLE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking Hard about CHAPUIS for FIRST DOUBLE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
Hello,

I am looking for advice. I am finaly ready to take the plunge. I am looking real hard at buying my first double rifle.

I am leaning heavily toward the Chapuis 9.3 x 74r.

This is because of price and versatility
First off.... PRICE, I can get a Chapuis 9.3 for about 5 K. Big Grin If there is nothing wrong with them ( I liked the 2 I have handled so far) why should I spend twice as much or more on another brand. homer

Second Versatility and Utility. The 470 NE rifles (that cost alot more) are realy cool

BOOM

HOWEVER I have hunted Africa twice. And I hope to go many more times, but if I get to hunt Elephant ONCE it will be only ONCE. So I don't see the need for anything HUGE in caliber. I am willing to sacrafice some power for the versatility of the smaller calliber.

PLEASE, I DON'T WANT TO ARGUE THE MERRIT OF DIFERENT CALLIBERS NEEDED TO KILL CAPE BUFFALO AND ELEPHANT ON THIS THREAD

So I figure that most of my hunting of dangerous game will be Buffalo and anything else I hunt in Africa will be plains game. I also think that the flatter shooting, cheaper and lighter recoiling 9.3 will be more usefull on plains game and state side on pigs, bear and maybe a moose.

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY LUCK LOADING BARNES BULLETS FOR ONE OF THESE RIFLES???

MY BIG QUESTION IS ......IS THERE ANYTHING WRONG WITHE THESE DOUBLES ????

I am looking for comments from ownwers of all doubles. Tell me why I should or should not buy one

THANKS

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I love my Chapuis 9.3x74r double rifle, and it shoots Norma and other federal 285gr loads to the same POV at 100 yds. with the scope.
My 470 Chapuis kicks like a mule and I consider as stricly an elephant gun for under 40 yds.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, do you reload for it. And if so what load works??

THANKS

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly what you are looking for is currently for sale in the classifieds.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I ALSO WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS HAD SUCESS LOADING BARNES BULLETS IN ONE OF THESE RIFLES??

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
I ALSO WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS HAD SUCESS LOADING BARNES BULLETS IN ONE OF THESE RIFLES??

What is your definition of Success? I am sure most folks with the proper loading equipment will be able to load any Barnes products. If you are asking how well they shoot then I suggest you do a search on this topic and you will find a lot of opinions about their use in a double rifle. If you only wish to use Barnes bullets on your hunts then I expect you will find a bolt rifle a better option.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
quote:
PLEASE, I DON'T WANT TO ARGUE THE MERRIT OF DIFERENT CALLIBERS NEEDED TO KILL CAPE BUFFALO AND ELEPHANT ON THIS THREAD

But that's what we do..... horse

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis 9.3X74R and I'm overall impressed with it. Accuracy with Handloads has been under 1" at 50 yrds from both barrels. I've shot it to 100yrds and its pretty good. No experience with barnes solids. Personally I'd use only multiple driving band solids in a double. -Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
I have a Chapuis 9.3X74R and I'm overall impressed with it. Accuracy with Handloads has been under 1" at 50 yrds from both barrels. I've shot it to 100yrds and its pretty good. No experience with barnes solids. Personally I'd use only multiple driving band solids in a double. -Rob

Agreed, the little Chapuis is a great gun and shoots well.

Loaded the Barnes in the 500NE and the 9.3, both reasonably accurate.

Preferred the Woodleighs in the 500 and the RWS in the 9.3..

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honkey,

Begno is right, this looks like a fine deal on exactly what you want, already scoped.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10552 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Honkey

I would not use Barnes bullets in A Chauis 9,3x74R.

I have one and it is one of my most favorite hunting rifles. Do a search on some of my previous posts.

I have used it in Zimbabwe, and in Canada, Montana, Idaho, and Texas.

For a Soft point bullet use 286gr Woodleigh's or Nosler artitions.

For a Solid use the 286gr Woodleigh Solids.

I have killed giraffe, cae buff and elephant with my 9,3x74R.
The buff was a one shot kill, 286 Woodleigh Soft.
I shot the elephant at 5 yards, iron sights, Woodleigh Solid or course.

Be sure and order your Chapuis with a scope mount.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Just like N E 450 No2 said,
I would not use Barnes bullets in my Chapuis as well,your regulation will get shot to hell!

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the 9.3. You'll love it. Don't listen folks about what you need, specially folks like me. I think a .416 is the best all around rifle available. Have killed everything from cape buffalo, to whitetail deer and even turkey with it. Some people think that's overkill. I disagree, but if you like a 9.3 -- go for it. It'll work. Especially on the turkeys -- I guarantee it.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 9.3 Chapuis i bought, it looks to be a very good "user" double...

I've now mounted a 1-3/4x6 Zeiss on it for those longer shots,

I'll be wringing that out, "soon".

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DM

That is an excellent set up. thumb
Very nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Honkey, I must warn you...

After you hunt your "first" elephant...
ALL other hunting will pale in comparison.

I like all hunting, whether it is squirrel, rabbit, deer, pigs, bear, even turtles on my pond....

But NOTHING compares to ELEPHANT.

NOTHING.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just joined the Double Club a year or two ago with a Chapuis 9,3x74R.
I couldnt be happier with the rifle. Used it on a nice moose last year and plan to do the same this year. Even though I bought the scope mount for it at this point in time I decided to hunt just with the iron sights.
The rifle is very accurate but I do wish the triggers were just a tad lighter.
I only shoot reloads in all my rifles.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've looked at one of these and am interested in it. Not officially for sale yet so a price hasn't been discussed. What do you guys think might be fair for a used Chapuis 9,3 in excellent condition? Unfortunately I don't know the model number or grade, but perhaps you can still give a rough idea. It's a nice looking piece. I'll be seeing it again tomorrow so feel free to also let me know anything I should look for on it or questions to ask about it.

Also, what's the recoil like? It looks extremely lightly built to me. I've never owned a double before however (with the exception of a 30-30 shotgun conversion). I have also looked at a 450/.400 Westley Richards and recall it being built up much more than this one. The 9,3 I'm told is supposed to be the equal to the .375 HH and if so I guess I was expecting more heft. All helpful opinions welcome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair price for one like new would be $4,500 or higher depending on grade and condition and "extra's".
I would compare the recoil on mine to a .338 WM.
The felt recoil would most likely be reduced if a nice pad was installed but I love the way the rifle looks without it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO AND ADVICE

I JUST BOUGHT A USED ONE YESTERDAY AND I SHOULD HAVE IT IN HAND BY THE END OF THE WEEK!!!

Snowwolfe,

I am gearing up to reload for the rifle. I also shoot only reloads in my rifles. Would you mind sharing what loads you have used that regulated well???? Any luck using Barnes Bullets???

Thanks Again

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Honkey

Do not use Barnes bullets in your Chapuis.

They have been known to "pop" the solder loose between the barrel and the rib.

One Aussie poster here had it happen to his Chapuis twice.

286 Woodleigh Softs, Nosler Partitions, and Woodleigh Solids will do all that needs to be done with the 9,3 double.

I have taken a lot of game with them in my 9,3x74R.

For a cheaper practice, deer and pig hunting bullet, the 270 Speer works very well.

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I think I am going to steer clear of Barnes bullets. I think the time tested Woodleigh bullets and Noslers are what I'll use for hunting.

If you guys could share your loads I would appreciate it...

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Use the search engine.. There's several good ones that regulate in the Chapuis.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO AND ADVICE

I JUST BOUGHT A USED ONE YESTERDAY AND I SHOULD HAVE IT IN HAND BY THE END OF THE WEEK!!!

Snowwolfe,

I am gearing up to reload for the rifle. I also shoot only reloads in my rifles. Would you mind sharing what loads you have used that regulated well???? Any luck using Barnes Bullets???

Thanks Again

Dont remember the exact load but I believe it was 65 or 66 grains of H4831 with the 286 grain Woodleighs.
Actually I asked the same question here myself last year and that was the load I was given. At 50 yards I rested the rifle with my elbows on the table and the rifle printed about 1-1.5 inch groups after shooting a couple from each barrel. After that I just quit! I decided it was more than adequate for minute of moose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Honkey

Do not use Barnes bullets in your Chapuis.

They have been known to "pop" the solder loose between the barrel and the rib.

One Aussie poster here had it happen to his Chapuis twice.

286 Woodleigh Softs, Nosler Partitions, and Woodleigh Solids will do all that needs to be done with the 9,3 double.

I have taken a lot of game with them in my 9,3x74R.

For a cheaper practice, deer and pig hunting bullet, the 270 Speer works very well.

What powder and amount are you using with the 270 grain Speers? Smiler
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 9,3 Chapuis regulates with 65gr of IMR 4831, and the following bullets.
286gr Woodleigh Soft and Solid, Nosler Partition, and the 285gr Hawk with the .035jkt.

I can use the same zero for all of these bullets out to @250 yards. At 300 yards the Partitions shoot a few inches higher because they do not drop as much because of their higher BC.

Velocity of this load in my double is @2225 to 2250fps. This load kills real well.

My best group at 100 yards with the 270 Speer was with 59gr of RL 15. However it does not hit the same place the other bullets do, but it was very accurate.