Find
Notify
Tools

What is 9.3x74 is for
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of aholz
posted
Well, guys, I have one and i love it. However, who has used it for DG? What is your impression?

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
aholz,
although mine hasn't taken any dangerous game like my 458 win and 375H&H have for me, it has taken a couple of DRT water-buffalo and a scrub bull and a giraffe (which did run a mile or so), plus some large antelope in the past couple of years. It wouldn't be my first choice for elephant, but for buffalo and cats it should be perfect. But some of the other guys will have more experience with theirs.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
aholz

The 9,3x74R is one of the best hunting rifle calibres on the Planet.

Research my previous posts.

I have taken skunks armidillos beaver coyote turkey deer wild pigs black bear several of all of them] civit cat side striped jackel klispringer impala [12] kudu waterbuck baboon
[several] zebra [24] warthog [4] giraffe [2 shots] guinea foul [several] cape buff[one shot] and elephant [one shot at 5 yards].

I have probably forgot something, but you get the idea. Big Grin

It is a Great Cartridge.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a PH who was one of the 1st to offer leopard hunts behind dogs. He has taken a lot of archery hunters on these hunts and as you might imagine he's called upon requently to "resolve the issue" with his 9.3x74R SxS.

He sent me a video that showed hin stoning a very large, lightly wounded leopard (after an archer put an arrow thru him) at less than 5 yards --- it hit the ground so hard it almost skidded up to his feet.

Tristan is, as you might expect, a fair-hand with a rifle and has titanium balls to boot.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've taken must everything from impala to lion with the round. this year leopard buff, and hippo are on its list

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Although not the 74R. I have used the rimless equivalent, the 9.3x62 on a few Buffalo, Eland and a lion and Hippo.
All with good results.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with a PH/guide, I'd take on anything on the planet.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It is definitely the rifle with which you can try to shoot anything!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x74r is for sure one of best all around ,german luftwagfe chambered drillings in this round for surviving needs,i hunt all my life with 9.3, i took all kind of game from fox to kodiak bear last fall,so if u have 9.3 u should be proud owner,my favourite rifle is DR merkel 9.3

Posts: 74 | Location: KENJADA | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two moose hunts, two bull moose. Although not dangerous game each bull weighed 1,500 pounds plus.
And the steaks are very goodSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've shoot a bunch of Europian boar, A hog in FL, a blue wildabeast, an Eland with a 9.3x74. and every one was a one shot kill. The only problem with the 9.3x74 is I don't own one.

Nether of my medium cal doubles are this cartridge but maybe I should sell them both and upgrade to a sidelock in 9.3x74. A good friend of mine who is a gun maker in Germany has a sidelock he built that is real nice and it's for sale. Ok now I've got my brain in overdrive again.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Mine took a leopard without problem. I had the 9.3 as backup for my 500NE on my buffalo hunt last July but the 500 did it's job. With good bullets I wouldn't be opposed to hunting anything walking with mine.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1258 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend and myself both used 9.3x74s for buff in Zimbabwe last May. Both rifles worked outstanding. Our PH and Assistant PH who had never seen one in action were both very impressed too.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 9,3x74R double sitting next to my Searcy .470 NE DR in the gun vault would just about be perfect.

Rich
I am working on one...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Have two double rifles chambered for 9.3X74R, and the S/S has become my favorite double rifle for just about everything smaller than, but including cape buffalo. The little S/S is always the back-up for my 470NE double in Africa! That chambering is just about perfect for North America from tit-mouse to Kodiak.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
It is definitely the rifle with which you can try to shoot anything!

Bill, that was too subtle. Everybody flew right over it.

To each their own, but if I was hunting buffalo, hippo on land or elephant I would want something bigger.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I've shot about 14 water buffalo with the cartridge, scrub bull, donkeys, horses, pigs. A great mild round.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
2 buffalo, 2 kudu, impala, 2 whitetails and maybe a pig in March.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To put this in context, how would you all compare the 9.3R against the 450/400?

I ask because I see the Sebatti double offered in both. The 9.3 is $3,000 and the 450/400 is $5,000 !

Specifically, open sited only, close range only, against a big, potentially angry, bear?

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
To put this in context, how would you all compare the 9.3R against the 450/400?

I ask because I see the Sebatti double offered in both. The 9.3 is $3,000 and the 450/400 is $5,000 !

Specifically, open sited only, close range only, against a big, potentially angry, bear?

The 9.3X74R is a very useful cartridge, but it can't be compared to the 450/400NE 3". The two cartridges mentioned in this question are two of my all time favorites in double rifles, but they both have their pluses and draw-backs. If I had to choose just one double rifle between these two for the world, it would definately be the 450-/400NE 3".

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote