New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently picked up this unusual DR. It was built by Lou Alessandri for the film Jurassic Park. The producers needed a monster-slaying DR, and Lou was known for his 70+ caliber doubles made to order in his shop. This one is a fully-rifled 12 bore double, with 24", barrels, multi-leaf express sights, claw mounts, ornate checkering, leather recoil pad, and great wood. It came with all the loading accessories, brass, molds, etc. Should be a fun pick-up!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. NJ legal for deer and bear as well.

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle!
But I thought Searcy built the double they showed often in the one movie where the guide wanted to shoot a T Rex?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I believe Butch made 2 600NE doubles for that film as well.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice pick-up Biebs. Gonna shoot it???

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Dig it. What's the specs? Bout 8lbs?!

Posts: 3534 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'll pl;ay around with it, and see if I can research and collect the provenance on it (when built, who ordered it, original price, etc).

Tomahawker, I haven't weighed it, but I'd say it's closer to 10 lbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Weight?? Do you have the scope for it? I like Suhler mount.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Is it for sale yet?

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have the scope for it? I like Suhler mount.

No. I might have NECG fit some rings for it, maybe on an old Zeiss 1.1-4, but I think I'll shoot it with open sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it for sale yet?

Don, not at this point. I've never loaded for a brass-cased shotgun. Should be fun. Of course, if the right 500 or 577 DR came around, you never know :-)

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Jon:
I have a pair of old 12-bore double rifles and I load and shoot them often. If I can supply you with any data let me know. I will be home from Zim Friday.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than being a lovely rifle in a relly fun cartridge it's very interesting. Granted my experience is neither wide nor deep but I don't recall seeing the sort of German/British combination of claw mounts and what appears to me to be very British express sights.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's built on a Baker shotgun action.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jon:
I have a pair of old 12-bore double rifles and I load and shoot them often. If I can supply you with any data let me know. I will be home from Zim Friday.
Cal

Cal, thanks. I was going to contact you...I figured you had experience with bore rifles. Hope your hunt in Zim went well. Travel safe.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
What would be the ballistics of a gun like this?

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bal, I would think it's similar to a Foster-type round, a 7/8 or 1 oz bullet at 1,250 to 1.450 fps or so..... adequate for deer, Black Bear, Hogs and perhaps Elk at moderate distances. Cal will weigh in when he returns.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dang me, Jon, you come up with the funnest stuff! That thing ought to be a real hoot to shoot. Assume you have Graeme's and Cal's books.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, yes, I have them both. i

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would anyone if Lou still in business..

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any documentation it was made for the movies? I saw it for sale, but don't remember any documentation

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nate, that's the next project. I'll start with the elderly owner and go from there. That's half the fun.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it just the pics but the configuration of those triggers and the drop on that stock make it look like recoil could be interesting...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
12ga rifle...recoil shouldn't be too bad.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Wow!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Biebs:

I'm in Atlanta with 7 hours to kill before the flight home. My two 12-bore doublers are antiques so I shoot only a smokeless load to duplicate the black powder loads. With a ball of 593 grains I shoot the following with equal accuracy:
5 drams of FFg GOEX
4 drams of FFFg GOEX
35-40 grains of Blue Dot.
ball is wheelwrights and soft lead 50-50%
ball sized to .738"

With you new rifle you probably can get magnum velocities but that is out of my realm with the vintage doubles.

Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, thanks. I put out a call to the original owner to obtain whatever provenance he has on the rifle. I'll find out what load he used in it.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I am going to first say thanks to Biebs for taking time to show off a very interesting 12 bore. I have become quite interested in the subject as of late.

To Cal Pappas I say thanks for sharing some load data. I have discovered it is not as easy to find as I thought it might be.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very neat rifle. The doubles for the second Jurassic Park movie were 600's built by Butch. Speilburg is said to have one, location of the second isn't known (at least from what I've read?).

True sidelocks? Or sideplates?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sidelock....a Baker action, as someone pointed out here.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Load it up and take a video like Saeed's champions!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're gonna have a blast with that one Biebs, would be fun as hell to hunt moose, bear, hog and elk in the thicks with that rig.

Congratulations! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gunner! Yup, another Boy Toy for the rack, but I'd trade it for that VC 577 you got from me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. I can't see for sure but it looks like it has lots of drop in the stock. I'll bet it handles fast. (?) Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool and collectible piece. Congratulations.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm wondering if I should bother having NECG fit rings to the claw mount bases. I don't foresee needing a scope at the ranges a rifle like this would be used.