Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Jeff
The Chapuis has a multiple hooks, how does the VC compare to this ?
And do the Chapuis shoot off the face because of their design ?

+1 Paul Demas worked for Chapuis before striking out on his own.

Interesting.

Personally I don't mind Chapuis DR's but not a fan of the hook set up.
Obviously works though.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Traditionally...If you wanted something well engineered made out of steel...Germany was a go to place. Where as if you wanted a good wine and cheese...look to France.

I am sure VC's are good guns. But Merkels are good guns as well.

If you have Merkel "build" you a gun...and not buy an off the shelf variety...I bet they would cost about the same, fit the same. Just would not have carry something around made in France...the nation of pu$$!3's and back-stabbers!

Lane is right here. Merkel can build you a gun per your specs, even their 160 sidelock version, and it is everybit as fit and finished as any other double out there. I own a 160 and it's gorgeous. Find the link to Paul Smith's Merkel 160 in .500NE. That will represent the finer of Merkels' builds.

The fact that the basic Merkels can be had for between $8-$9 thousand puts alot more folks into the game and you still get the rugged durability of the Merkel product. The fit and finish of the basic guns aren't shabby either.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is interesting. I thought Merkel didn't do that.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36624 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:

they do , and make some fine guns in that process, it is as with all other fine things in life, as you move up the ladder so does the price tag. Smiler

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
quote:

they do , and make some fine guns in that process, it is as with all other fine things in life, as you move up the ladder so does the price tag. Smiler

best

peter

http://www.merkel-usa.com/news...111&cHash=bb97603184

The above if it works will show you what you can buy from Merkel if you want to spend the money for something other than the working rifles sold off the shelf at Merkel dealers!

I don't know why everyone thinks the bottom of the line Merkels are all that is available. They go up to well over $25K or higher depending on what you want from the top of the line! The custom version in the Rifle Magazine article starts at just under $19K, and goes up from there!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
[http://www.merkel-usa.com/news...111&cHash=bb97603184

The above if it works will show you what you can buy from Merkel if you want to spend the money for something other than the working rifles sold off the shelf at Merkel dealers!

I don't know why everyone thinks the bottom of the line Merkels are all that is available. They go up to well over $25K or higher depending on what you want from the top of the line! The custom version in the Rifle Magazine article starts at just under $19K, and goes up from there!

I can't open that here (System blocks it) but about the only reason we (and I include myself as a former merkel 500NE owner) wouldnt know about it is because not one of the people who sell and/or distribute Merkels ever mentioned that you could get a custom-built Merkel nor did I read it in any of the literature supplied with my Merkel.

On the other hand, when I bought my first Verney-Carron 600 Nitro Express, Ken Buch said "When you're ready if you want we can have one made to your specifications." The Verney-Carron folk said "it's your gun, we can make it any way you want". If the link above says pretty much the same thing, i.e. "We'll make it any way you want, it's your gun after all." then I'd say we have two great double makers that can give a customer what they want for an affordable price. Sounds good to me!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, good question.

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

I can't open that here (System blocks it) but about the only reason we (and I include myself as a former merkel 500NE owner) wouldnt know about it is because not one of the people who sell and/or distribute Merkels ever mentioned that you could get a custom-built Merkel nor did I read it in any of the literature supplied with my Merkel.

On the other hand, when I bought my first Verney-Carron 600 Nitro Express, Ken Buch said "When you're ready if you want we can have one made to your specifications." The Verney-Carron folk said "it's your gun, we can make it any way you want". If the link above says pretty much the same thing, i.e. "We'll make it any way you want, it's your gun after all." then I'd say we have two great double makers that can give a customer what they want for an affordable price. Sounds good to me!

Well, I read the article, and I couldn't find anything that even hints "your way". There are "upgrades" for engraving, wood, etc... but I would like someone to show me a truly custom or "bespoke" Merkel.

I'm not bashing Merkel here, I happen to like them alot. I've never handled a V.C. (though I will soon), so I guess I'm not fully "qualified" to express an opinion.

But, it seems that if you are ordering a rifle (not buying a used or off the shelf rifle), you MIGHT just get a little more bang for your buck witha V.C._... if only because you got it "your way".

Just my opinion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, good question.

Well, from what I see, my mates gun hasn't and I haven't
heard of any others that do.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nemo .450:
quote:
quote:

Well, I read the article, and I couldn't find anything that even hints "your way". There are "upgrades" for engraving, wood, etc... but I would like someone to show me a truly custom or "bespoke" Merkel.

I'm not bashing Merkel here, I happen to like them alot. I've never handled a V.C. (though I will soon), so I guess I'm not fully "qualified" to express an opinion.

But, it seems that if you are ordering a rifle (not buying a used or off the shelf rifle), you MIGHT just get a little more bang for your buck witha V.C._... if only because you got it "your way".

Just my opinion.

You could argue that I know nothing...but...mdstewart and peterdk do. They will build to ordered specs.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36624 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, good question.

Gentlemen I don't think either of you need worry about either of the three brands shooting loose as long as they are cared for properly, and the loads shot in them are in specs pressure wise! They are all stronger than they need to be for the chamberings they are cut for!

On the article posted on the Merkel website was not a what is available, but simply an article about that particular rifle, printed in Rifle Magazine!

The author of that article is not well versed
on how double rifles work, and makes som dumb statements in that article, like "WHERE THE RIFLE WAS SUPPOSED TO CROSS IT'S SHOTS"

The reason I posted that link it shows that the plain Jane rifles you are used to seeing here are not all they make, and was posted for the pictures, not for the article contented text.

The author of that merkel was simply invited to a range session with that rifle which was something he wasn't aware of Merkel making, much like the rank and file here it seems! Merkel does infact make custom fitted and appointed rifle if you are willing the pay the price!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a cool looking Merkel Double. I have no knowledge of the seller, posting this for general interest:

Merkel .500 Oct. Barrels

AFA the steel discussion goes, I don't have any knowledge of the plus' or minus' of German or French gun steel but as far as cutting edge tools go, there is no steel made in Germany or Europe that will even come close to the best American or Japanese knife steels. That doesn't mean they don't make good cutting tools, just that they are not made from the best steel.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
ledvm,

I didn't find anything to that effect, but I will willingly accept the fact that they will build to specs.

What I meant by custom was, for example, 26"bbls on a brand new "built to specs" Merkel.

I have not seen the beast, and I believe I have been told by a Merkel dealer that they won't do that.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand... If you "specify" the engraving, wood grade, LOP, round or octoganal bbls, scope mounts or not, and whatever little features availble, does that make it a truly custom rifle?

On the other hand, V.C. will cut bbls from 24" to 26" and anywhere in-between. They will even accomodate your tastes concerning the action it's self i.e. semi-round or "flat" bottom, the "bolster" style, etc.

In short, as far as I've seen V.C. are all "your way". I have seen few to no Merkels like that.

We have seen several custom V.C.s in the last few months, but I never recall seeing a truly custom Merkel.

I stand to be corrected, please show me a custom Merkel. I would honestly like to see one.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gentlemen I don't think either of you need worry about either of the tree brands shooting loose as long as they are cared for properly, and the loads shot in them are in specs pressure wise! They are all stronger than they need to be for the chamberings they are cut for!

+1 Absolutely

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, good question.

Now that would be an interesting retrospective study and presentation:

# off-face A-D boxlocks/# produced vs. # off-face A-D boxlocks with Greener cross-bolt/# produced vs. # off-face "hook" boxlocks/# produced

or another interesting idea would be to substitute # rounds fired for # produced

In the absence of that information, the rest is simply speculation which is absolutely worthless.

I wonder what shit would fly if, instead of the Verney-Carron action being of forged steel and the Merkel being cast, it were the other way around ...

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
ledvm,

I didn't find anything to that effect, but I will willingly accept the fact that they will build to specs.

What I meant by custom was, for example, 26"bbls on a brand new "built to specs" Merkel.

I have not seen the beast, and I believe I have been told by a Merkel dealer that they won't do that.

On the other hand, V.C. will cut bbls from 24" to 26" and anywhere in-between.

I hear you and I don't have one but I have been told that they will from a fellow that does know. I believe PS Smith's was a custom gun that he bought used.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Gentlemen I don't think either of you need worry about either of the tree brands shooting loose as long as they are cared for properly, and the loads shot in them are in specs pressure wise! They are all stronger than they need to be for the chamberings they are cut for!

+1 Absolutely

From what I have read and my discussions with a certain double rifle "caretaker" well-known to double afficionados, I'd have to say

+2

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hear you and I don't have one but I have been told that they will from a fellow that does know. I believe PS Smith's was a custom gun that he bought used.

J. Lane Easter, DVM
DRSS

Yes sir that is correct, I bought it used (I traded my Krieghoff .470 NE and some other rifles). The story was it was one of the first (if not the first) side lock 500NE Merkels imported into the US. One of these days it will go to Zimbabwe or Namibia.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ledvm,

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand... If you "specify" the engraving, wood grade, LOP, round or octoganal bbls, scope mounts or not, and whatever little features availble, does that make it a truly custom rifle?

On the other hand, V.C. will cut bbls from 24" to 26" and anywhere in-between. They will even accomodate your tastes concerning the action it's self i.e. semi-round or "flat" bottom, the "bolster" style, etc.

In short, as far as I've seen V.C. are all "your way". I have seen few to no Merkels like that.

We have seen several custom V.C.s in the last few months, but I never recall seeing a truly custom Merkel.

I stand to be corrected, please show me a custom Merkel. I would honestly like to see one.

Joshua etal,

I can assure you if you want a truly custom Merkel, I can get it built for you. For that kind of gun , it's money down first. The gunmakers at Merkel feel they have the best balance in "their" guns with the 23.5" barrels. Merkel makes bespoke guns all the time, and I have personally seen many of them.

They have some crazy requests, therefore, you must understand, money first before they will do crazy things.

I just saw a matched pair of 12 bore shotguns, bespoke, with 30" barrels, choked cyl/cyl, case colored on a highly engraved gun, with NO checkering, per the customers request. The person doesn't like checkering.

However, if you want a double rifle with a stock to fit your dimensions, barrel length, choice of pad, choice of sights, choice of engraving, case color or coin, gold inlay or silver inlay, option for claw or recknagel, etc, heck, you can even choose your engraver; it's all available at a bespoke price, just like the VC. Merkel will even engrave your name on it. The only exception I'm aware of is they do no make a true left hand version. If I wanted a true left hand version, I would probably see Butch Searcy.

Here's the thing, you want a great double rifle for between 8-9 grand, then the Merkel base grade in a good choice. Not custom, but fits 90% of folks with only adjustments to butt and change out of iron sights. If you want to spend more, then you get to choose how to spend your money. I don't think you can get any VC for 8-9 grand; correct me if I'm wrong.

The wait fot a custom Merkel is a minimum of 6 months, and they quote it as 9 months. It may take as long as a year.

Many of you saw my 160 in 8x75RS and Paul Smith's 160 in .500. The craftmanship on those two guns are unquestionable. Paul's gun originally sold for around $23,000 and mine for around $13,000, in the same price ranges as custom VC's, and they are true sidelocks.

Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Mr. Stewart,

Thank you very much for expaining. I stand corrected, and I am glad I was wrong. Smiler

I honestly didn't know they would do that. I always thought if you wanted a truly custom double, you would have to go to Searcy, Heym, V.C. or move the decimal point to the right a couple times on your $$$$.$$ amount.

I never intended to disparage Merkel, and you are very right, I have never seen a V.C. or Heym (maybe a used Searcy) for less that $9,000. And I have seen a few Merkels for less than that.

I like Merkel quite alot, I just didn't know they would actualy make a fully custom rifle.

Thanks again for clarifying that for me. Smiler

And now that I know they will indeed make a fully custom DR, I just have to ask: are the custom options comparable price-wise to V.C.?

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you very much for expaining. I stand corrected,

Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
ledvm,

Nemo .450, I would call that a custom double rifle, and I don't think you will find a maker today that will totally build what ever you want incorperated in a double rifle no matter how it effects the over all shape of the action, for under $200K, and maybe not even then. IMO, what you are asking for is not a custom double but a BESPOKE ( a word the I totally hate) double, and I don't believe VC will do that for you.

quote:

VC may do all you say, but I don't doubt doubt they will do barrels from 24 to 26 inch, or anywhere in between. However what if you wanted barrels 28 inches, or 30 inches, or shortened to 18 inches? I would say the Merkel will not do barrel length longer than 24 inches, simply because they make thier own barrels, and their blanks will only finish to 24 inches because that is the size their barrel machines are made to cut blanks. besides what will a 26 in barrel do that a 24 inch barrel will not do as well?

quote:

Nemo .450 VC is a factory made rifle and when you start asking for something they don't normally build that is very radiclly different from their norm, you are asking for trouble, and will pay through the nose for your trouble.

In most makers like Merkel, VC, K-gun, Chapuis they are used to doing 98% of their preduction "ONE WAY" and regulators are used to regulating one length barrel, the actioners are used to doing final shaping of the actions one WAY. These are not reasonable expectations of a maker that builds 98% of it's rifles,to meet a norrow spread in price from bottom to top that is far under the cost of building and something the skilled artisens in their shops not used to building. To get this type of so called CUSTOM one needs to go to H&H, or Purdey, and hock the ranch to cover the deposite! I don't think you will get what you want from any of the companies that make the most of thier product to sell at a top price of under $30K. I certainly could be totaly wrong but IMO, it is best to have people who build 98% of what they build to only do the custom things that will fit into their worker's job expertese, and to sell for a cealing price that they normally work under!

In any event what Merkel does build, at the top of the line, is as good as anything you could order built from VC as far as fit and finsh,and to work as a double rifle is supposed to work when a buffalo is closing you fast! To me the last requirement is the most important to me, all the rest is just "LOOK AT ME" fluff!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Wow!! Enough is enough! I have owned many Merkels. Nice solid guns for the money. Don't own any this date. I still enjoy my "bespoke" Verney-Carrons. Merkel/GSI would not listen to my requests. Verney-Carron and Ken Buch listened and produced.

V-C's remain the best "value" out there!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Mr. Mac,

It looks to me that you read alot "into" my post that I didn't type.

I don't want a $200,000.00 rifle, and I don't want V.C. or Merkel or anybody else to make me one!

When I say "custom" or "bespoke", I mean a rifle that is not "off the shelf" or doesn't have "off the shelf" type features.

TO ME "custom" or "bespoke" simply means made the way I want it in regards to: action type (sidelock or boxlock) action finish, type of engraving (if any!), bbl length, grade of wood, cheek-peice or not, LOP (of course), sling studs or not, sights, long trigger guard, steel grip-cap, and anything else I've forgoten.

I guess all the DR makers including V.C. Searcy, Heym and Merkel I am told, will all add "custom" features to the customer desire... for a little extra $$$.

Again TO ME "custom" and or "bespoke" doesn't = H&H, Purdy, WR, Franzoj, ect...

For pete's sake in their magazine adds V.C. says: "Bespoke Firearms"!

I know I am not anything special, and I don't don't want, nor do I "deserve" a "bespoke" rifle.

I didn't intend to disparage ANY DR maker, or upset anyone! I am not quite sure what brought down such (seemingly) severe post. Confused Frowner

I really like Merkel, if I wasn't getting a rifle from peterdk I would be saving up the extra 3grand for a Merkel!

I like what I see from V.C. I happen to like the "extras" on their base model beter. As I understand it, the base model comes with the option of bbl length, long trigger guard, steel grip-cap, etc.

The Merkel does not, but the base model Merkel costs alot less which I like even more!

I repsect you and your opinions, and I agree with most of what you say! tu2 I really don't know what you got so (seemingly) excited about. bewildered

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac bravo for your on point post..But you do know a DR expert is born on AR everyday .. hilbily

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mr. Mac,

It looks to me that you read alot "into" my post that I didn't type. <<snip

SNIP>> I really don't know what you got so (seemingly) excited about. bewildered

Nemo .450, I didn't read anything into your post that you didn't write! I only spoke to the fact that the offerings Merkel and others in the SRP price range of between $10K and $25K will not in my experience build a double rifle that is radically different from what is 98% of what the produce. To them custom means adding features above the base rifle that are offered as custom add-ons, and that is about all you will get within that spread of price. What you suggest is commonly known as a bespoke double, and that comes at a far higher price than the top of VC's price point I think. Even though VC may say "BESPOKE" what it means to them, and what it means to you and I are two very different things I fear.

As to your last statement, let me set your mind at ease. There are only two people in all of my Internet homes who can make me see RED, and you are not one of them. Like you I like the VC rifles, and I think for the price point they are very well appointed. The design is a little novel but seemingly very strong, but no stronger than others that are even cheaper in base price. What I base my opinions on is the fact that most of the so-called OFF THE SHELF double rifles are well made, and are all, save two, serious working double rifles that can be safely used as DGRs.

However when your wants become more than these type companies build, then you need to change names engraved on the rifle.

Nemo .450 I don't know you, and I have no interest in calling you out on anything here! You are entitled to your opinions just like the rest of the folks who post here, and though we don't agree on this one subject, it doesn't mean you have to automatically pattern you opinion so it pleases me! If the VC will build you exactly what you want, then I have zero problem with that, It's your $$$, but my opinion is by the time you get everything you want I predict the price would have bought you a far more recognized name engraved on the rifle! A VC made that way will still be an OFF THE SHELF double rifle to most who would think of buying it from you, and I fear the price it would bring would be base on that assumption! I think the VCs are nice rifles just the way they come, but if you go to the top of the line of both the VC, and the Merkel, my choice would still be the Merkel, however if the bottom was about the same price as the Merkel, then I would look very hard at the VC.

Sorry if I came off as angry because I assure you that is not the case! I have a very direct way of writing, and my posts are often taken as confrontational when they are not meant to be! The reason my posts seem like that, is because my posts are to everyone more than the writer I quote. There are a lot of young guys who are new to double rifles and the explanations are more for them that the writer I quote.

……………………..Good hunting tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I am not anything special, and I don't don't want, nor do I "deserve" a "bespoke" rifle.

Not to worry, all it takes to get a real British "bespoke" rifle is more money, lots more.......

BTW if you order a double to your exact specifications which are different than the maker's normal rifle, it is bespoke, which simply means customized to your order. If someone wants to suggest that bespoke only applies to Purdeys, H&Hs, etc then that is their interpretation of the word. V&C is correct in their use of the term in their ads, regardless of the snob factor.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

Not to worry, all it takes to get a real British "bespoke" rifle is more money, lots more.......

BTW if you order a double to your exact specifications which are different than the maker's normal rifle, it is bespoke, which simply means customized to your order. If someone wants to suggest that bespoke only applies to Purdeys, H&Hs, etc then that is their interpretation of the word. V&C is correct in their use of the term in their ads, regardless of the snob factor.

+1 tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Mr. Mac,

Thank you for explaining.

Thanks also for being patient with new guys like me.

I shouldn't have accused you of being "excited" or "severe". I thought that your post was aimed right at me, and I took it the wrong way. I am sorry for my disrespect.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain to me, and not taking my post the wrong way. tu2

Best Regards,

Nemo.

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

+1 tu2

You guys arguing over a word.... space

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Merkel will not make a true left handed rifle then their claim they will build a rifle to your specs doesnt hold water.

VC will build a "true" lefty.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I guess I am a bit confused so I'll ask Mac and others here if the following meets the definition or that "B" word I won't use:

None of the following are offered as "options", I specifically requested them and Guillaume Verney-Carron as well as every other other member of the Verney-Carron family each personally responded to every request with "It is your gun, we will build it any way you want. We want you to be happy."

1) Action shaped per my specifications - different than the shaping of any of their "production" actions and not offered as an option;

2) splinter forend - not done on any of their double rifles;

3) engraving based upon photos I provided - their standard is a game head only. In my case I wanted more than just the head of a "standard elephant" and provided precisely what I wanted - and that's what I received

Of course the stock dimensions (all of them after two separate multi-hour fittings of all of the acronyms you guys know) based upon the fittings done separately by Thomas Bland&sons as well as Griffin&Howe.

I also had the choice of what I wanted for cheekpiece and whether it was present or not (having "no cheekpiece" is not a usual "option" on any production double of theirs, though shadowline vs. no shadowline is an "option") and right sided palm swell and position based on my fitting.

Then there were the plethora of "options" - front and rear sight types, grip cap resevoir, intercepting sears, stalking safety, extended top strap, steel end cap and inserts on forend, sling swivels, barrel length - all of which I opted to get.

Now, not that I care one way or another what anyone calls it but just so I get my terminology correct per the "accepted" standard usage ...

Do the "non-options but done because I specifically requested them to be done the way I want" fulfill the "B" definition?

or

Do the multitude of "options" I chose fulfill that definition?

or

Neither because the definition is something entirely different and I still don't understand...

Thanks for the clarification

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

Your description of what VC will do for you is definitely a bespoke gun. That's nice having the option to choose all those options.

Big question is how much more all that customization will cost? Usually, the resell will not increase due to your personal customization needs.

Obviously VC is going the right direction. Merkel can offer what most would consider a bespoke gun, but they will not alter their two main frame designs and are hesitant to alter barrel lengths. And they don't make a true left hand version, to my knowledge, although I will confirm that next week.

Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I am not anything special, and I don't don't want, nor do I "deserve" a "bespoke" rifle

But you are my friend, at least to the one you always qoute for at the bottom of your post.
Smiler
Good shooting/Hunting and God's best

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

Your discription of your V.C. is just what I meant by the "B" word.

I haven't seen a price-list for Merkel custom upgrades. But even the PH model V.C. (apporox. $9,500. I think) comes with your choise of bbl length. I do not know how much each extra custom feature costs, for V.C. or Merkel. But at least on a V.C. you get to specify bbl length without a premimum.

Barrel length may not matter to some folks, but it does to others (like myself).

-------------

Malek,

I know what you mean and thanks for reminding me. tu2

I was just saying I know that, in and if myself, I am not "better" than anyone else.

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I am a bit confused so I'll ask Mac and others here if the following meets the definition or that "B" word I won't use:

None of the following are offered as "options", I specifically requested them and Guillaume Verney-Carron as well as every other other member of the Verney-Carron family each personally responded to every request with "It is your gun, we will build it any way you want. We want you to be happy."

1) Action shaped per my specifications - different than the shaping of any of their "production" actions and not offered as an option;

2) splinter forend - not done on any of their double rifles;

3) engraving based upon photos I provided - their standard is a game head only. In my case I wanted more than just the head of a "standard elephant" and provided precisely what I wanted - and that's what I received

Of course the stock dimensions (all of them after two separate multi-hour fittings of all of the acronyms you guys know) based upon the fittings done separately by Thomas Bland&sons as well as Griffin&Howe.

I also had the choice of what I wanted for cheekpiece and whether it was present or not (having "no cheekpiece" is not a usual "option" on any production double of theirs, though shadowline vs. no shadowline is an "option") and right sided palm swell and position based on my fitting.

Then there were the plethora of "options" - front and rear sight types, grip cap resevoir, intercepting sears, stalking safety, extended top strap, steel end cap and inserts on forend, sling swivels, barrel length - all of which I opted to get.

Now, not that I care one way or another what anyone calls it but just so I get my terminology correct per the "accepted" standard usage ...

Do the "non-options but done because I specifically requested them to be done the way I want" fulfill the "B" definition?

or

Do the multitude of "options" I chose fulfill that definition?

or

Neither because the definition is something entirely different and I still don't understand...

Thanks for the clarification

CCMDoc, I would say, based on your first hand experience with Verney-Carron's people,not just salesmen, if true, that I stand corrected on all counts!

NOTHING SUCKS MORE THAN THE MOMENT DURING A HEATED DEBATE, WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU'RE WRONG!

......................... bewildered

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Mac

Sure sounds like CMCDoc is getting (despite himself) a "bespoke" gun to me. Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Mac

Sure sounds like CMCDoc is getting (despite himself) a "bespoke" gun to me. Big Grin

I think you are right my friend, at least on the internet, lets see how the finished product turns out! I think the rifle he ordered or wants to order is a 450/400NE 3" right? IMO, a very good choice, especially for a lot of use in Alaska, and will hold it's own in Africa as well.

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
CCMDoc, I would say, based on your first hand experience with Verney-Carron's people,not just salesmen, if true, that I stand corrected on all counts!

NOTHING SUCKS MORE THAN THE MOMENT DURING A HEATED DEBATE, WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU'RE WRONG!

......................... bewildered

It's all true, Mac - they are good folk and I was honestly surprised by the responses I received and from whom I received them. Always within 24 hours of my email to them - except on Sunday - then I would get the response on Tuesday morning. Their willingness to consider and implement every request I made was refreshing. The best part was that every and I mean every request was met with a "Yes we can do that, it is your rifle and we want you to be happy."

As far as resale value - that's not a consideration for me. The return on this investment will be the look on my son's face when I hand it to him and tell him to "add some scars to it on a safari in Africa". beer