THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Now that we know how HORRIBLE Sabatti Doubles are ...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now that we know how HORRIBLE Sabatti Doubles are ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Express_Rifles:
Of course not im a lefty my friend as are my doubles so we shall never compete

Yes, well, in that case I'll let you continue dragging your left hand along the ground as you walk. Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal And ill let you partake in your cask of wine and canned gin and tonics in the dry river beds

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
animal And ill let you partake in your cask of wine and canned gin and tonics in the dry river beds

Excuse me, just how uncouth do you think we are over here ?

Jesus, some people would think we have no class !!! LOL

We at least drink the Cask wine out of a glass Big Grin hammering

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes where are my manners the red plastic cups my mistake stir

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Jorge,

Not just arguing with you as I think you are a good'un...but...here is my point.

You can by a Merkel for around $8K or even less.

Merkels are tried and true. They may not be made to fit everyone 'cause they are an off-the-rack-suit so to speak. But the "tailors" (read gunsmiths) did quality work.

They use a tried and true action design...maybe one of the better.

They are regulated properly.

They may be a bit light...but my .500 NE is fine to shoot and I don't really "like" recoil.

Almost everyone...even their critics...will tell you they as a lot are well regulated and generally accurate.

Peterdk tells me they use poor wood...but I bet Sabatti uses the same.

Professionals have used them in the field with good reports.

If bought right...they at least hold their value.

So...the difference between $5K and $7500 (what I gave for mine NIB) seems neglidgable.

So...I "know" I got a good piece of equipment...a no frills sort of gun...but just what I wanted to pack around in the jess.

Besides...mine points for me like a good shotgun.

Lane: appreciate the kind words, but we'll have to agree to diaagree and that is ok. You simply CANNOT buy a new Merkel for under 8K and even used ones are hard to find at the 8k price. Conversely, if you could find a used Merkel for 8K, one could say the same thing about a used Sabbati for close to three, the ratios remain the same. A new Sabbati is 5500 bucks and a new Merkel is 10K and that is the benchmark. My rifle shoots and invite any Merkel or other brand of double to posts target results as I have done so here. No ejection failures, no cracks, no problem. Yes one of my barrels has a slight flat spot, but do a search here and see how many "best" doubles have had issues that have been worse?

Mac, thanks also for your comments, but I just don't agree that I am putting myself in jeopardy going after DG with my Sabbati if it has proven to be a good shooter, with good triggers and well-timed ejectors. If danger was an issue, one could say the same about a one hundred year old British double that anything could break at any time. You know, I just corresponded witha friend of mine who has a lovely Watson Bros 450/400 for sale. I asked him what kind of groups he gets with his and his response was "on a good day 3" but it's really a 4" shooter." Had I said that about my Sabbati, all hell would have broken loose here.

Had my Sabbati turned out to be a lemon (just like we've read here in the past about WRs, Merkels, etc), I would have returned ti and asked for my money back.

I'm done with this stuff. Like said before, if I announced Sabbatis can walk on water, someone would have said "oh it's because they can't swim."

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year they had a shop in South Florida selling them brand new out the door for 8500 and kreighoffs for 11k so unless they infalted their price that should still hold true even Chapius go for 10k so unless you guys are upgrading these from the favtory or going through the wrong channels I dont know

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should probably keep my fingers off my keyboard...but....
The Sabatti guns had the potential to be good guns. They only needed another 10 or 20% more effort put in them.
Cabelas came along and kept all other importers from convincing Sabatti to build them better. There were in fact a few that were very good...being built and regulated proper, even having intercepting sears by our coaxing.

The actions are on par with Merkel, but the rest of the gun is being thrown together apparently in haste to hurry them to market.
Sabatti, and cabelas, should keep in mind that these guns are potentially being used on Dangerous game, and as such they should start building them with that in mind and Stop trying to make the cheapest pos sxs rifle out there.

Sending emails to Cabelas corporate office would probably help more than anything.

I believe people would spend a little more $ to get a good double.

Shame because they had potential.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane: appreciate the kind words, but we'll have to agree to diaagree and that is ok.

beer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:

Mac, thanks also for your comments, but I just don't agree that I am putting myself in jeopardy going after DG with my Sabbati if it has proven to be a good shooter, with good triggers and well-timed ejectors. I'm done with this stuff.

Jeorge, if you will look at the quotes from my post you will see I said, If anyone like Jeorge has one of the Sabattis that shoots properly then keep it! and farther stated that if I could be sure of getting one like your's I would buy one in a heartbeat!

quote:
originally posted by MacD37:

Yes some have come up with good ones, and to those folks I say keep them if they shoot properly<<snip

Jeorge, I'm very glad you got one of the good ones with you being new to double rifles. If you had gotten one of the bad ones it may have turned you off on doubles all together. If I thought I would be lucky enough to get one of the good ones I'd buy one in a heart beat,

Jeorge I see nothing in that to disagree with! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
We're square Mac! And hey, I LOVE my Sabbati! and I extend the invite to our Merkel owners to post their targets Smiler You take care my friend and thanks for all your advice! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and I extend the invite to our Merkel owners to post their targets Smiler

We don't need to, as it is not the Merkel that is under scrutiny.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We don't need to, as it is not the Merkel that is under scrutiny.

lol

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That's ok, I understand your reticence to post, especially when, Ks, Searcys, Blasers have done so with regularity. I'm sure your Merkel throws a great pattern. Carry on with your agenda. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah 500 why are you so unwilling how many carrier landings do you have under your belt hot shot jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's ok, I understand your reticence to post, especially when, Ks, Searcys, Blasers have done so with regularity. I'm sure your Merkel throws a great pattern. Carry on with your agenda. jorge

Jorge

MacD37 said we were restrained. Well, this is not.

I don't have an effing agenda, I call a spade a bloody spade, always have done and always will,
ask anyone on here who has known me for the last 4 or so years. Mad

I don't own 20+ Double rifles, including Merkel's to shoot test targets to put on forums to justify them to some tosser when the Title of the thread is SABATTI's, not MERKEL'S. I'll shoot a test target during load development when I first get a gun to get it shooting then I go out and
kill things with it. I'll shoot a test target when I sell a gun if the person wants one.

We are not judging Merkels we are judging Sabatti's. Now Express Rifle's, others and I got shouted down a few months back when we called a spade a spade and that something wasn't quite right and in some instances - and far more than their should be that has proved correct. horse

So let's keep the thread on track about what is wrong with Sab's and get the manufacturer to do the right thing by gun purchasers and start making an effing gun that, with the odd exception is going to be 100% fine.

If a one man show like Searcy can do it, then bloody Sabatti should be able to as well.

Express Rifles.
Haven't got any carrier landings to my name but I've taken off in aircraft more times than I have landed in them Big Grin SF all the way Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh yes 500 you know I had to stir buddy also I'll add like ive said if the 5k gun is so great do all etc why would you get fitted for a VC ? unlike few here who have a broke leg horse in this race my rifles are investment peices im 100% bolt trash as it would be put

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:

I don't have an effing agenda, I call a spade a bloody spade, always have done and always will,
ask anyone on here who has known me for the last 4 or so years. Mad

I don't own 20+ Double rifles, including Merkel's to shoot test targets to put on forums to justify them to some tosser when the Title of the thread is SABATTI's, not MERKEL'S. I'll shoot a test target during load development when I first get a gun to get it shooting then I go out and
kill things with it. I'll shoot a test target when I sell a gun if the person wants one.

We are not judging Merkels we are judging Sabatti's. Now Express Rifle's, others and I got shouted down a few months back when we called a spade a spade and that something wasn't quite right and in some instances - and far more than their should be that has proved correct. horse

So let's keep the thread on track about what is wrong with Sab's and get the manufacturer to do the right thing by gun purchasers and start making an effing gun that, with the odd exception is going to be 100% fine.

If a one man show like Searcy can do it, then bloody Sabatti should be able to as well.

Express Rifles.
Haven't got any carrier landings to my name but I've taken off in aircraft more times than I have landed in them Big Grin SF all the way Big Grin

I'm so happy you call a spade a spade, but you've gotten the gist of this thread precisely backwards ( in English it's called "sarcasm" or "tongue in cheek") and my walking on water analogy fits your characterization of Sabbatis to a tee. We get it, you think Sabbati's are garbage and you've made it into a crusade. My hat's off to your dogmatic benevolence, maybe you've saved some idiot other than me ( is that what Tosser means in Australian?) from pissing away 5K on a piece of shit rifle.

Now back on track, people with a HELL of a lot of expertise and credibility with doubles have taken the exact opposite position as yours for starters, but to further get this thread back on track, what is wrong with *MY* Sabbati? After 140 rounds it continues to shoot a hell of a lot better than rifles costing three time as much and by the way, Regarding killing, WTF do you think I'm going to do with mine? (here's a hint): before I go out and kill things, I make sure the rifle works and works well and mine sure meets that requirement. I have a buffalo safari planned for 2013 (my fourth) and I plan to take the Sabbati. Yes I know I'm an idiot. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah 500 why are you so unwilling how many carrier landings do you have under your belt hot shot jumping

Easy answer to figure out, even with the horrible punctuation...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would be correct I went to college not the Military to obtain an education sorry

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
You would be correct I went to college not the Military to obtain an education sorry

Wonderful! now we are off track and personal! Obviously it didn't take but BTW, where to you think most military officer's get their education as a pre-requisite for a commission? Here's a hint; it's not just the Naval Academy but I have to tell you, the English classes taught there are a bitch I'm told!

Oh, sorry forgot to answer your question about the VC. Why did I get meaured? well because I can afford one and I have more than one brand of rifle, but more importantly, the relatively minor expense of the entry-level Sabbati afforded me a vehicle for me to find out if I really wanted a double. I've realized that doubles are for me so after much research (you know like I did on the Sabbati) I decided on what is in my opinion the best value double on the market, a VC. How's that?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you are wrong its a cnc action like the sab basically a properly regulated sab with better wood Cool

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
I lurked here at AR for quite a bit. Before I joined, I got an idea of the personalities of some of the individuals here. I have noticed that ALOT of the people here are VERY opinionated! Now, there is nothing wrong with being opinionated, but when those opinions lead one to insult other people just because they disagree, well that is just flat wrong.

500N, I have no problem with your opinions, you are entitled to them, and I appreciate the fact that your experience with double rifles vastly exceeds my own.

If you are referring to my thread when you and express rifles got "shouted down"... I had no problem with your "calling a spade a spade", but you and express rifles didn't stop there.

Y'all started to infer, or say right out that any body who bought a Sabatti simply HAD to be a moron... someone who didn't have the good sense to save up an extra 2 or 3 (or 4) thousand dollars and buy a Merkel.

You two weren't "shouted down" because you didn't like Sabattis, some folks just got upset because you two were (in essence) calling alot of people stupid.

YOU had the decency to apologize, and I appreciate that fact very much. I think all the more of you for it. tu2

If you want to talk about getting off topic, then let us discuss your and express rifles's facination with alcohol and the various and sundry implements for consuming it. Which BTW, you two discussed... on a thread titled SABATTI, not WINE or CANNED GIN! shocker Wink

On the whole I have observed that you usually have alot of very helpful and useful information to share, but let's keep this thread "on track" and leave off the personal insults. That way we can objectively examine a given topic and learn from one another. Smiler

500N, I respect your opinions, and I am not trying to jump on you here, but... horse

Best regards,

Nemo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
not WINE or CANNED GIN!

If you spent time in Australia you would understand what him and I are talking about also little boy why dont you ask Mr.Neving about me who you refer to as Mr.Peter who is a personal friend of mine before you try to bring my credentials up. Now I dont mind admiting where im wrong but by a 17 year old child not happening.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
not WINE or CANNED GIN!

If you spent time in Australia you would understand what him and I are talking about

Nemo

No worries, but if I may have one more thread drift for the sake of keeping standards.

Express Rifles,
Now come on, we must keep the standards low,
it's CASK WINE and CANNED GIN, drunk in the bottom of the dry river bed Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Nemo, thanks for bringing some civility back to this thread, you are wise beyond your years Smiler

There are many ways to tell someone their baby is ugly, and it's not the facts that I took umbrage with here, but rather the delivery and you are spot on. I like to think I have a decent level of integrity and if/when something goes wrong with my Sabbati, I'll be the first one here with a bat to beat the read-headed step-child. Cheers to all, jorge

PS: hmmm a VC is just a Sabbati with better regulation (although how can you do better than my groups??? Smiler and better wood, that 5K I spent on the Sabbati looks like a much better deal than I thought!! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's CASK WINE and CANNED GIN, drunk in the bottom of the dry river bed

500 we will have to do so this summer when I return but with the 100 dollar cap the goverment put on alcohol sales hope we will be able to do so hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge-

I just had the occasion to handle twenty-something VC guns and rifles while helping Ken load and set up his booth for SCI here in Reno.

quote:
PS: hmmm a VC is just a Sabbati with better regulation (although how can you do better than my groups??? Smiler and better wood, that 5K I spent on the Sabbati looks like a much better deal than I thought!! Smiler

First I'll say, great big congrats on the Sabatti. I have no doubt you'll shoot the hell out of it and love every minute -- and that the buffalo definitely won't!

Next - on VC vs Sabatti (and I'm sure you know this but if you don't, fly over here for a day or so and see for yourself...), those VC guns and rifles are pretty amazing - especially considering the price. Very very nice stuff there and there's a pretty broad array of options and features from which to choose when making up an order.
Really nice stuff.

Oh, and by the way -- can anyone here direct me to a vendor of gin in a can..?
I'd like that for my 4x4 truck emergency and recovery kit!

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
it's CASK WINE and CANNED GIN, drunk in the bottom of the dry river bed

500 we will have to do so this summer when I return but with the 100 dollar cap the goverment put on alcohol sales hope we will be able to do so hilbily

The $100 cap has been removed. They are now as drunk as they ever were !!! LOL

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2

Ah, if only the 2 I had were not duds... I could have had the = of a V.C. for about a third of the price! jumping

Seriously though jorge, your Sabatti is a real jewel. If a rifle SHOOTS (accuracy and reliability), it will do the same thing a H&H will when it comes right down to it!

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tinker. Believe me I looked at a LOT of doubles at DSC and I've known George Caswell at Champlin for close to thiry years. The VCs are superb rifles. I'm very happy with my Sabbati and the 1" groups it shoots all day long! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh lovely now the abos are running around wild yet again what a super thing lol

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Come on guys there is no reason for anger here! Let’s simply take stock of what we are trying to discuss!

The Sabatti double rifle, and their method of regulating:
Is it the best way of doing things? It would seem that it is not consistent enough and is certainly not the accepted way of doing it. That last statement is fact not opinion!

Does it work? Yes SOMETIMES! That sometimes is why it is NOT the accepted way of regulating a double rifle, again because it is less than consistent. I think we can all agree on that fact.

If a guy buys a Sabatti double and it shoots acceptably, should he keep the rifle and hunt with it? My answer to that is a resounding “YES” he should.

OTOH if a guy buys a Sabatti and it doesn’t shoot properly should he still keep it and spend another $1000 or so on it, and maybe still have a dog! My answer to that question is also a resounding NO!

Is the fact that some of the problem rifles are simply the result of the owners being new to double rifle not understanding how a double rifle works, and are shooting them wrong? Absolutely this could be the case in many instances. That being said the regulating method being somewhat suspect indicates, to me at least, most of the cases are the result of poor regulation, but that remains to be seen.

Posting test targets that are consistently great is a fine indication for the rifle, and shooter in question, however test targets in the box with the new rifle don’t seem to mean anything, but the targets the new owners do mean something. With those that I have personally seen and shot lean toward the bad regulation, but the fact is none of us have shot them all, and the anger that is showing it’s ugly face in this thread is not helpful. I say lets back off some, and discuss this in a civil manner.

There are several guys that are having trouble with their Sabatti double rifles, and instead of cussing each other let’s put our heads together and try to help them find the problem with each an every one of them. If they were bad because of poor handling by the new owner, we can advise, if the problem is the rifle we can also advise.

Kicking each other solves nothing, and in fact hinders finding the solution!

To everyone here if you want me to cease and desist, that is what I will be more than happy to do, however if you want what ever help I can muster, I’ll be there too!

The call is yours! If you like cussing, then I’m out!
............................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoken like a true gentlemen I will stand down mac

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
MacD37,

Thank you sir, you are absolutly right in my humble opinion. tu2

I would only like to add old proverb: He who slings mud, loses ground.

My great-grandfather used to say: "If you cain't say it nice, don't say it atall."

I have not always lived by that statement... but when I remember, I do my best to try.

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
not WINE or CANNED GIN!

If you spent time in Australia you would understand what him and I are talking about also little boy why dont you ask Mr.Neving about me who you refer to as Mr.Peter who is a personal friend of mine before you try to bring my credentials up. Now I dont mind admiting where im wrong but by a 17 year old child not happening.

bewildered

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks to be you would like a 2nd go with me.I simply stated that I do not take guff from children example yourself.What are trying so hard to get into ive already done .Ok you want to speak to me do so puff your chest out and come at me like a man not tip toe around anything come head on ..Just keep that in mind next time

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is so much pissing going on here ,we all are going to have yellow socks. It's a shame they did not do it better, if you got a good one ,good for you. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!I hope it keeps shooting well jorge.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDS = Sabatti Derangement Syndrome

Several seem smitten.

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
not WINE or CANNED GIN!

quote:
Looks to be you would like a 2nd go with me.I simply stated that I do not take guff from children example yourself.What are trying so hard to get into ive already done .Ok you want to speak to me do so puff your chest out and come at me like a man not tip toe around anything come head on ..Just keep that in mind next time

Express Rifles,

You're out of line here, I agree with you that the Sabattis are a cheaply made excuse for a double concocted by Cabelas in cahoots with a willing Italian gunmaker but there is no reason for the personal insults and you owe Nemo an apology. His age or experience is irrelevant, he saved up the money for a double, bought one and one was hosed, returned it and ordered another and so is one of us.

Cheers,
Andy

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well sir you may feel I owe him but its not going to happen