Notify
Tools

500 searcy in classifieds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

You are a funny guy!!!

Butch covers his bases - we all know that.

Our African friends are accoustomed to being "Jacked" around - justifiedly skiddish when it comes to "service".

We all know that BS would never intentionally screw with anybody - he's a stand-up man and would fix any problem should it arise.

I trust that this can all be worked out.

JW

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
Read the thread from the beginning and do a search for another similar "Cry Baby Thread" in this forum...Butch has stated that he will fix the rifle. All this Dumb Ass has to do is send it to California and Butch will make it good....but that is not good enough....Graeme Polock is simply Bitching in attempt to cause problems. Funny how this so called "PH" can find his way to the US for all the big Safari shows yet he is not able to figure out how to return a gun to its maker for repair. If anyone is getting "Jacked Around" here it is not the Polock!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And, there is even an earlier thread where Botswhiner posted glowing reviews right after he bought the rifle. It was great, wonderful, he was in love, etc.

On the thread ROSCOE references, the issue was pretty well diagnosed. Butch told him he would fix it if the rifle was sent to him. Even though Butch did not sell it to him, and even though the issue with the rifle was caused most likely by shooting handloads that were out of spec.

If you put diesel fuel in your gasoline car tank, would the manufacturer cover a new engine? No way. But Butch offered to fix the rifle at no charge.

We may have a personality conflict here; that being, Butch has a personality and Botswhiner does not.....

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's a dyslexic situation, the name is actually Poelock!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The warning on the barrels should read: "***NP for pachyderm hunting only****" Be careful with this caliber, you have reached threshold between sanity and insanity! Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
some folks just miss the boat or cannot see the wood for the trees, yes i was in the USA , JM but guess what its the gun thats the problem not me , if you read the thread the problem lies in getting the gun to the USA , not me , the problem was with the attitude and service , i asked for help / guidance and got neither , only after raising the problem here did a trouble shoot arise. And yes I did love the calibre and as stated the gun is accurate as hell when working / opening . And yes I still get asked each time by the 14 Elephant , 4 leopard , 3 Lion and 10 buffalo hunters each year about doubles and you can bet I do not recommend Searcy - lets see what Blaser do - so far the service help guidance from Blaser and Krieghof have been beyond outstanding.
Happy hunting
Graeme Pollock
Safaris Botswana Bound
Safaris Mozambique Bound
Safaris East Africa Bound ( Tanzania and Uganda)

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to the owner/sellor:

MORON! You are building a solid client base here...with this issue.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
And yes I still get asked each time by the 14 Elephant , 4 leopard , 3 Lion and 10 buffalo hunters each year about doubles and you can bet I do not recommend Searcy

How many African hunters are on accuratereloading? Do you think YOU will get any recommendations from anyone here after your bullshit posts?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I figured it out what this whole problem is!

Graeme had his feelings hurt because he was treated like a commoner! Being the modern equivalent of the great ivory hunter of legend and the closest thing to white African royalty, he is entitled to be treated as the great hero that he is.

Imagine his fury when the tool that was made by a common craftsman failed him and tarnished the glow of admiration from his latest client.

If you remember, Graeme said that he received no help troubleshooting until he brought the problem up on these boards. He had contacted Butch and was told in the most matter of fact way to send the rifle back and it would be repaired but Butch did this without genuflecting in reverence and supplicating himself to the long list of wrongs that he had inflicted on Graeme. Obviously Butch did not stroke Graeme's ego sufficiently nor treat him as the revered icon that a PH obviously should be. This was not to be borne. Even when Graeme graced Butch with his presence at the Reno show the commoner had the audacity to tell him again to send the rifle to him and he would make it right but he would not let Graeme go through with his entire royal diatribe.

What is the world coming to when low born, common craftsman fail to acknowledge the great honor of serving the select few?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
to the owner/sellor:

MORON! You are building a solid client base here...with this issue.

Rich
DRSS

Rich

In the World of African Hunting no one gives a shit about anything said by anyone on AR. I doubt if 5% of African Hunters have ever heard of this site.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mickey

I think you would be surprised at the number of hunters who at least glean information off of AR.

In the late 1990's, less than 5% of the population obtained their news off of the internet. Last year that number was over 20%. I believe that was from a study done by Pew.

Granted, there are still a large number of people that rely on the print media for information. But the print media ain't what it used to be. Large newspapers are finding their long term survival a bleak prospect.

I recently read where the hunting industry contributes $200 million annual to all of Africa. Figure an average of $20,000 per hunt, that is roughly 10,000 hunters annually from all over the world.

This site has over 26,000 REGISTERED users. Now not all of them hunt Africa or are interested in doing so. Let's say only 20% read the African forums (I think that is a low number). That is over 5200 people. Let's further reduce that number by saying only half of those go or will go hunting in Africa. Now we're at 2600 people.

Compared with 10,000 hunters a year going through Africa, 2600 "live" prospects here is a pretty decent number. And don't forget that most of the people that post or that are registered here have friends that hunt as well who may not participate here. You tend to share information with your friends.

If you want views from real people who spend their own money on safaris and are not paid to endorse products or outfits, people come here. The days of glitzy booths at safari shows bringing in a huge amount of business are waning. The days of "here is my satisfied client list for you to call to see what a great operator I am" are quickly coming to an end.

AR is the only site I know of that does not accept sponsors or paid advertisers. It is thus not subject to direct or indirect influence by a negative comment regarding a sponsor or advertiser.

In March alone, this site averaged about 100,000 views per day and almost 3 million total for the month. Someone is looking.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phhhhhh! That's funny and for the most part true!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I do agree that Graeme may have found a different tact to be more productive, I doubt that anything he writes on AR will affect his business at all. Most DG operators in Africa are booked for 2-3 years in advance. So if a couple of guys look elsewhere because of something on this thread, it's unlikely to matter one whit to Graeme's business.

Likewise for B. Searcy & Co. With nearly a 2 year backlog I am sure there is plenty to worry about without fretting about a thread on an internet forum.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Mickey

I think you would be surprised at the number of hunters who at least glean information off of AR.

In the late 1990's, less than 5% of the population obtained their news off of the internet. Last year that number was over 20%. I believe that was from a study done by Pew.

Granted, there are still a large number of people that rely on the print media for information. But the print media ain't what it used to be. Large newspapers are finding their long term survival a bleak prospect.

I recently read where the hunting industry contributes $200 million annual to all of Africa. Figure an average of $20,000 per hunt, that is roughly 10,000 hunters annually from all over the world.

This site has over 26,000 REGISTERED users. Now not all of them hunt Africa or are interested in doing so. Let's say only 20% read the African forums (I think that is a low number). That is over 5200 people. Let's further reduce that number by saying only half of those go or will go hunting in Africa. Now we're at 2600 people.

Compared with 10,000 hunters a year going through Africa, 2600 "live" prospects here is a pretty decent number. And don't forget that most of the people that post or that are registered here have friends that hunt as well who may not participate here. You tend to share information with your friends.

If you want views from real people who spend their own money on safaris and are not paid to endorse products or outfits, people come here. The days of glitzy booths at safari shows bringing in a huge amount of business are waning. The days of "here is my satisfied client list for you to call to see what a great operator I am" are quickly coming to an end.

AR is the only site I know of that does not accept sponsors or paid advertisers. It is thus not subject to direct or indirect influence by a negative comment regarding a sponsor or advertiser.

In March alone, this site averaged about 100,000 views per day and almost 3 million total for the month. Someone is looking.

Jim

I don't have any numbers but it would be interesting to know how many individual users read the Double Rifle and African Forums more than once a week. A week would be the time frame I would guess a post would fall off the page. The African Forum in one day.

Second. If I wanted an Ele hunt in Botswana and found the SBB avg 70 pounds to the side but he didn't like Searcy Rifles or that Outfitter A was a great BSer on the internet but avg. 50 pounds per side. Who do you think I would pick?

Do you think PVT was hurt by the Sheephunter threads here a year or so ago? I doubt it one bit.

As for the trade shows I think you are mistaken. Nothing beats looking an outfitter in the eye and talking to him face to face. As many people go to SCI each year as belong to AR.

You must be aware that pretty much only B-Team African Outfitters and Booking Agents post here on any kind of regular basis. (There are 1 or two exceptions) I guess they are the ones that would be going to the local Sportsman's Show and have time to sit on the internet.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan and Mickey

Fair enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I do not disagree that anything discussed here will probably not have any immediate impact. But the trend to using the net as a source of information is increasing every year. And the information here is accessible via the find function going back almost to the beginning.

I also do not disagree with a face to face. But by that time, you have a pretty good idea of who you want to talk to and who you don't. To me, that face to face has or will become the final stage in a selection process that has weeded out a number of possibilities.

And while the A list PH's don't post here, their customers do. For my benefit, that is the perspective I want. How a PH thinks he does is worthless - how his clients think he does is of value.

Now how much actual impact the net has on future business remains to be seen. But it certainly has the POTENTIAL to have a great impact on future business. And from my own perspective of being involved in "e-businesses", if the current trends are any indicator, the actual future impact will be significant.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
While I frequent the AR forums on an almost daily basis, just to see what's going on, two things (at least) cause me to read very carefully:
1. Personal attacks, presumably from people who don't know the protaganists at all, or, perhaps only know one of them and therefore the other guy is the bad guy. Gems like "Botswhiner" and "cry baby" do not impress me at all. Ad Hominem attacks are a dead give away, to me at least.
2. The internet is anonymous, and therefore anyone can say anything without attribution to a real person.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
While I frequent the AR forums on an almost daily basis, just to see what's going on, two things (at least) cause me to read very carefully:
1. Personal attacks, presumably from people who don't know the protaganists at all, or, perhaps only know one of them and therefore the other guy is the bad guy. Gems like "Botswhiner" and "cry baby" do not impress me at all. Ad Hominem attacks are a dead give away, to me at least.
2. The internet is anonymous, and therefore anyone can say anything without attribution to a real person.
Peter.

I'm in total agreement with the above post, but the fact is, the attacks are not only on one side here. Name calling is a bad idea anytime, but unfounded blame is even worse.

In this case the rifle was bought second hand. It was working fine when bought, by the words posted here by Mr. Pollock's glowing acessment of his new rifle. It worked fine for 700Nitro as well. It is fact that anything made by man, can be damaged, and the rifle was damaged sometime after Mr. Pollock took posession of the rifle. In most case, the fact that the rifle was sold to a second owner,(IN A FOREGINE COUNTRY) would negate most warrenties, but not the Searcy. The problem, as I understand it, is that Mr. Pollock wants the rifle fixed, a reasonable request, but he doesn't want to go to the trouble of sending the rifle to Searcy to have the work done. IMO, anyone that can't see the problem here is either bilnd, or can't read, especially when you have the words of both sides right here!

Mr. Pollock, send the rifle to Searcy, or live with a broken rifle, and in either case, quit your whining! Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Is it really that hard to send a rifle from Botswana to the US and back?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it may actually be easier to carry the rifle as baggage vs shipping it which may require more licenses, import & export permits, etc.

african countries are not the easiest to deal with, esp regarding firearms.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
it may actually be easier to carry the rifle as baggage vs shipping it which may require more licenses, import & export permits, etc.

african countries are not the easiest to deal with, esp regarding firearms.

He made the trip to Reno to go to the show and could have brought the gun then. But, he probably couldn't get his gunbearer a seat in the cargo hold.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold, now THAT is an interesting point! Why could Graeme not have brought his Searcy with him? I am assuming that it is possible to do so without major hassles? I wonder if Butch could have fixed it in time for him to take it back?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter

He has been back to the US not once, but twice (2006 SCI and 2007 SCI), since the problem cropped up. Rather than making arrangements to bring the rifle with him and get it fixed, he bought a Blaser S2 at the January SCI.

Business must be good to relegate the Searvy to use as a Botswanan tomatoe stake.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Many of us Americans (and apparently many who have posted on this thread) have NO IDEA how difficult it is to bring a firearm into the USA in this era of homeland security.

NO ONE can just pack it like a normal bag and simply bring it along, as with ordinary luggage when brought to Reno for the SCI convention.

THAT IS NOT AN OPTION.

Still, a firearm can be shipped just about anywhere by anyone for repairs, and in this case Mr. Pollock seems to have missed the boat, or plane, as applicable.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13481 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you guys understand how hard it is for a non US resident to bring a firearm into the US?

If you show up with it as baggage it will be confiscated. The same would happen if a US resident showed up with a rifle he bought overseas.

It takes paperwork from a couple of government agencies and 3-4 months wait until/if it is approved. Any of the Canadians that post here can tell you about transiting the US with a firearm and any one heading to Canada from outside the US can as well.

I don't know how hard it is to send a gun out of Botswana but it takes 3-4 months to get the paperwork approved to send one from Aus. If it is the same that is 6-8 months minimum just to get the paperwork straightened out.

You guys act as if he could just pop it into the post and two days later it appears in California.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would probably come as a surprise to Mickey1 that most of us are not total morons. Mickey, you seem to have some connection to Mr Pollock, which is fine and dandy. If you wish to support him, you can do so without condescending insults. If you are his friend, why not try to advise him to stop digging the hole deeper than it already is? He is putting on one hell of a demonstration on the finer art of self destruction.

The process takes a little time, but is not as difficult as you make it out. To LEGALLY bring a rifle here, a state hunting license with dates of a scheduled hunt speed the BATF form 6 along. Speed being a relative term, since ATF clearly states the application can take up to 8 weeks to process.

Without a scheduled hunt, the process is indeed a bit more work, but not impossible.

That covers bringing the rifle with you. Sending it on for repair is more work and longer lead time. But, since this has been going on, two SCI conventions have come and gone. One would think that in all this time the necessary forms could have been completed, and the rifle repaired and returned. This is not a $300 used Remington we are talking about but a $12,000 (or more) double rifle.

All Mr Pollock has done, in all this time, is to whine like a 2 year old who has just broken his new toy and attempt to trash Butch Searcy.

There is zero excuse for his continued whining, and frankly it has become pathetic.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am assuming that it is possible to do so without major hassles?

That's why I asked the question! It seems to me that the crux of the matter is precisely this: How difficult is it for someone overseas to send a firearm back to the USA to get it repaired? If we don't know the answer then we shouldn't be passing judgement quite so easily.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would probably come as a surprise to Mickey1 that most of us are not total morons. Mickey, you seem to have some connection to Mr Pollock, which is fine and dandy. If you wish to support him, you can do so without condescending insults. If you are his friend, why not try to advise him to stop digging the hole deeper than it already is? He is putting on one hell of a demonstration on the finer art of self destruction.

The process takes a little time, but is not as difficult as you make it out. To LEGALLY bring a rifle here, a state hunting license with dates of a scheduled hunt speed the BATF form 6 along. Speed being a relative term, since ATF clearly states the application can take up to 8 weeks to process.

Without a scheduled hunt, the process is indeed a bit more work, but not impossible.

That covers bringing the rifle with you. Sending it on for repair is more work and longer lead time. But, since this has been going on, two SCI conventions have come and gone. One would think that in all this time the necessary forms could have been completed, and the rifle repaired and returned. This is not a $300 used Remington we are talking about but a $12,000 (or more) double rifle.

All Mr Pollock has done, in all this time, is to whine like a 2 year old who has just broken his new toy and attempt to trash Butch Searcy.

There is zero excuse for his continued whining, and frankly it has become pathetic.

Jim

I do not know Mr. Pollock. I had never heard of him until I stumbled on this thread a few days ago. I do hope he gets his rifle sorted out as I like Doubles and think everyone should have one to hunt with if they want.

It seems to be popular sport to jump on posters that offend or critisize the sacred cows or protected people on these forums. I find it necessary, at times, to point out what should be obvious but apparently isn't.

I have dealt with non US residents trying, sometimes in vain, to get rifles into and through the US. It is frustrating and time consuming, particularly if you are spending much time out of contact. (as in the bush)

Has anybody ever considered that the rifle is in Botswana illegally and can't be sent out? Did the seller fill out the US forms for leaving a rifle in a foreign country before he left the US? Without the proper export permit perhaps MR Pollock cannot get it registered in Botswana. This would be true in RSA.

I am currently trying to send two sets of barrels to Australia. I have BATF permission and Department of Commerace Permission. I now find out I need to fill out more forms to get permission from the Department of State. They are saying maybe in 4-5 months, if they approve it. They require proof from the Australian Government that it is okay to send the barrels there. More paperwork.

Did the seller do any of this before he left the rifle in Botswana? If not he may want to hope that Mr. Pollock never tries to bring the rifle back to the US.

I see that every one seems to think that the rifle was okay when he got it because he says it was. Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't. We have seen numerous people here claim rifles they sold were in good nick only to find out that they or the buyers actually did not know enough about Doubles to know whether they were or not.

I don't know how many rounds he has fired or where he got his ammo but too many here are assuming that it is his fault because he thought it was fine when he bought it and the seller says it was.

Too many questions to jump to conclusions about a rifle or a man that invested a substantial amount in a rifle that evidently doesn't work.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Mickey,
Butch has offered to fix the rifle....end of story. All Pollock has to do is ship it to Butch. The reason Pollock has lost all credibility is due to his expectation that it is the responsibility of Butch to find a way to export the rifle, fix it, and return it to Botswana. Remember the rifle worked fine for the original owner, it is the pollock who had trouble with it. The whole purpose of this thread is to discredit Mr Searcy....and the result is that the PH in Botswana has made himself look like a dumb ass!

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
Mickey,
Butch has offered to fix the rifle....end of story. All Pollock has to do is ship it to Butch. The reason Pollock has lost all credibility is due to his expectation that it is the responsibility of Butch to find a way to export the rifle, fix it, and return it to Botswana. Remember the rifle worked fine for the original owner, it is the pollock who had trouble with it. The whole purpose of this thread is to discredit Mr Searcy....and the result is that the PH in Botswana has made himself look like a dumb ass!

Roscoe

Read my post please.

You don't know if he can ship the rifle do Butch do you?

You don't know that the rifle worked fine or not when he got it, do you?

Maybe his intention is to bash Searcy.

Maybe it is just frustration over buying a broken rifle that is in Botswana illegally that he can't get out of the Country?

I certainly don't know the answers to any of these questions.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:

Roscoe

Read my post please.

You don't know if he can ship the rifle do Butch do you?

You don't know that the rifle worked fine or not when he got it, do you?

Maybe his intention is to bash Searcy.

Maybe it is just frustration over buying a broken rifle that is in Botswana illegally that he can't get out of the Country?

I certainly don't know the answers to any of these questions.

Mickey,

Why is it the fault of Butch that the rifle is in botswana through illegal methods? Pollock bought a used rifle from a client...not a new rifle from Butch. IMO the fact that Butch will fix the rifle dispite the fact that it is no longer owned by the original owner is a bonus. As for how the rifle functioned when purchased...the original owner has stated on another thread that the gun worked fine...other wise I doubt Pollock would have wanted to buy it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mickey

I certainly did not intend any offense regarding my statement relating to an association between you and Pollock.

As for the possibility of an ownership issue in Botswana, Pollock rather curtley answered that earlier in this thread:
"The clown who thinks the gun is not registered in " south africa " - I live in Botswana and the gun is registered there - thats the other country above South Africa , just to help you with some geography - and help you send your enquiry to the authorities to the right country"

There is a history here that involves not this tread but at least two others in which any "issues" have been pretty well nailed down. This has been going on for over a year now.

Pollock first crawled out of the weeds with a complaint that Butch Searcy was not defferential enough at their first encounter. (The "Cry baby" thread). Butch was working his booth at the 2006 SCI when Pollock approached him and began his nursery whine. Butch basically told him to send the rifle for repair. Apparently, in Pollock's mind Searcy should have closed his booth that very moment, gathered up his shop and flown out to Botswana.

Some of the facts here are no longer in dispute. Pollock bought the rifle from 700 Nitro of this board. The rifle function flawlessly on a safari 700N booked with Pollock. Sometime during that safari, the rifle was sold to Pollock. 700N left the receiver with Pollock in Botswana and took the barrels back to Canada with him. When all were satisfied the deal was complete, 700N mailed the barrels to Pollock.

Nothing was said about the possible impact of sending the barrels on a 20,000 round trip without adult supervision.

When Pollock received the barrels, he posted on a different thread, almost as giddy as a schoolgirl, that the rifle was awesome. It was working as good as new.

The problems Pollock experienced had to have cropped up when the rifle was in his possession and control. The symptoms he described seemed to point to the use of improperly sized ammunition that he was using (which he also apparently purchased from 700N), but that was merely an educated guess based on the symptoms.

At that time and numerous times afterward, he was told that Searcy would beed to get the rifle in his hands to fix it. Although Searcy did not sell the rifle to Pollock and although the overwhelming evidence seemed to point to the problems being caused by improper use, Searcy offered to fix the rifle for free.

Rather than taking care of business at the January 2006 SCI conference, Pollock purchased a Blaser S2 there. He glowed about their service level for repair - how he knew this for a fact is suspect, since Blaser does not have a factory in Botswana.

He then began goading the members of this site in the form of an offer of sale for the Searcy for its full value. By his own admission the rifle was defective and was in no shape for a dangerous game hunt.

Again, rather than take the time to get the issues addressed with the rifle, Pollock started the current thread, where it was pointed out more than clearly that he needed to send the rifle to Searcy. Just how he proposed to sell the rifle to a foreign customer is anyone's guess. If he could not take the time to address issues with a $12,000+ double rifle, one has to wonder whether he would have taken the time to complete the necessary paperwork to sell the rifle.

This is not a 20 year old Remington 700BDL we are dealing with, but an expensive double rifle. He had had well over a year to get his paperwork in order, and had he done what anyone else would have found necessary no doubt the rifle would have been fixed by now and ready for safari work.

You can lead a horse (or ass) to water, but can't make him drink. That about sums it up.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great review Jim.

It boils down to Mr Pollock doesn't feel like he got the personal attention from Butch that he deserves.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim

Thanks for the review. I see that you are probably right about Mr. Pollock and his adventure with the rifle.

Too bad that he can't or won't get it fixed.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
Jim

Thanks for the review. I see that you are probably right about Mr. Pollock and his adventure with the rifle.

Too bad that he can't or won't get it fixed.

Mickey1, I'm begining to wounder if maybe this rifle wasn't regestered in Botswana, and that is the reason he is so reluctant to try to ship the rifle to Butch! If that is the case I certainly don't see the cussing of Butch for not fixing the rifle. Even if there was someone in Botswana who can do waranty work for Butch, it would be a problem to take in an unregestered rifle for repare to a local shop.

This whole thing is puzzleing to me! I simply can't see a person haveing a $10K-$12K rifle, and not going to the trouble to do what ever it takes to get the rifle fixed. Something smells here! sofa

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pollock has denied any regitration issues and invited all to report him to the authorities"

quote:
The clown who thinks the gun is not registered in " south africa " - I live in Botswana and the gun is registered there - thats the other country above South Africa , just to help you with some geography - and help you send your enquiry to the authorities to the right country

I guess us "clowns" don't understand, but the thing that struck me as strange was the manner in which the "deal" was handles. The seller leaves the receiver in Botswana and takes the barrels back to Canada with him. After the seller arrives in Canada, he mails the barrels to Botswana. I have no idea what Canada or Botswana require regarding shipments of rifle parts, but if it is anything like the US, the focus is on the receiver not the barrels or upper. Barrels not attached to a receiver can be shipped without regard to the need for an FF&L.

And since I have never taken a rifle to Africa and sold it there, I really don't know what is involved with such a transfer. I do know that you are supposed to come home with what you declared and took, and I recall reading recently that the US takes a dim view on selling or gifting firearms taken from the US to Africa. And maybe the way this deal was conducted is the way you are supposed to do it.

Perhaps there are no issues here, but I believe there would be issues if the seller were from the US.

Any thoughts?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no idea what Canada or Botswana require regarding shipments of rifle parts, but if it is anything like the US, the focus is on the receiver not the barrels or upper. Barrels not attached to a receiver can be shipped without regard to the need for an FF&L.

Regarding the U.S., barrels are a dual use item (with potentially both military and civilian applications) so you need to apply for an export permit. It is a no-no to just mail barrels out of the country.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Thanks for clearing that up. I should have said "within the US".

I would imagine that the export permit process would be a mound or two of paperwork.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:
The clown who thinks the gun is not registered in " south africa " - I live in Botswana and the gun is registered there - thats the other country above South Africa , just to help you with some geography - and help you send your enquiry to the authorities to the right country
All the best and good hunting
Graeme Pollock

quote:
Botswana Bound, I’ve no dog in this fight, but I find your attitude on this matter to be somewhat of a Paradox! I would like you to tell me how Searcy is to mend your rifle, unless you get the rifle to him. I’m sure you realize he is under no obligation to fly to Africa to work on your rifle, sense he sold it in the USA, and he lives in the USA, and his shop is in the USA, and you bought it second hand in Africa.

All that aside, the rifle may well be defective, and be under the maker’s warranty, but I fail to understand your position on this matter, when you refuse to get the rifle to Butch so he can fix your problem. NOW! If you sell the rifle to someone in the USA, you realize you will have to send the rifle here, or will you simply request the buyer to come to Africa to get the rifle? That would make just about as much sense as expecting Searcy to come to Africa to work on your rifle.

Sir, I may well be out of line here, but from all your comments on this web-site, plus the folks from Africa I’ve talked to in person, about this rifle of yours,and Searcy himself, I think you need to make more of an effort to get your rifle fixed, HERE, or live with a broken rifle! There is some question as to what caused the rifle to malfunction , in the first place, after you took posession of it! That cause is still in the wind, so to speak!

Bad mouthing the maker for not fixing your rifle, when you are not willing to ship him the rifle is, in few words, the action of a stubborn fool, IMO! I certainly hope nothing goes wrong with your Blazer, that requires sending it to Germany for warranty repair! I don't think the Germans will be coming to Africa to work on your Blazer either!

I've known Butch for many years, and I'm not aware of even one instance of his failing the hounor his warranty, when something went wrong with one of his rifles, as long as he could get the rifle to work on! I would think with $10,000 US invested, the owner would make more effort to get the rifle to Searcy for FREE adjustment under warranty. That doesn't seem to be the case with you, however. I'm beginning to wonder if you have not regestered that rifle in Africa, and that may be the reason you are so reluctant to send it to Searcy! Just a thought! Maybe a letter to the authorities, in Africa on this rifle would solve a lot of this!

Mr. Pollock please tell me where in my post, above, I said anything about "SOUTH AFRICA"! I've pasted it here for you , so you will be able to find it easily, JUST TO HELP YOU WITH SOME GEOGRAPHY . You will notice I said "AFRICA" in all cases, which is a large continent that includes many countries, including BOTSWANA.

Sir, if you want to talk about me, I suggest you talk "TO"me, and if you are going to quote me, you need the read a little more carefully! I await your reply! I don't care if you regestered it or not, it just accured to me that might be a reason for your reluctance!

................GOOD HUNTING

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dan,

Thanks for clearing that up. I should have said "within the US".

I would imagine that the export permit process would be a mound or two of paperwork.

As I understand it, the application is reviewed by 14 government agencies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'll send a note to the Botswanan authorities that Botswhiner has an illegally obtained rifle and let the wogs hang him! I am glad he was thoughtful enough to post his address, etc.

Think I can get the serial # for evidence?

Rich
DRSS