THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle Shooters Society
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Shooters Society
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider me as well. Without the men with a common interest to discuss these guns, it would be a most hollow hobby.
H&H - 500 BPE, .577 Hammerless, 12 paradox, 10 Paradox, Purdey 450/400 2 3/8 hammerless, 12 bore Jungle gun, 12 bore Cosmos, Westley 10 bore.
JZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi jaz, wave

Please post some details about the 12 Bore Jungle Gun,

I don't know enough about those for my own sake. Thank you.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Army Navy made their version of a "ball and shot gun" called "The Jungle Gun " and engraved it on the barrels. These guns were suppose to shoot shot in good patterns as well as shooting a conical bullet, usually in a threadspool shape, to 100 yards. They were competing with Holland and Holland who came out with the "Paradox" in 1886. The Paradox had patented ratchet rifing designed by Colonel Fosberry and really did shoot shoot as good as a improved cylinder shotgun. Because this ratchet rifling was patented, alternative designs came out. Army Navy used a very different design. Their rifling was wide lands and grooves straight in the barrels and then a slight turn the last 4" of the barrels, which on mine are 28". The action of the gun is a Webley Screw Grip. 7 1/4 pounds, two folding leaf sights , 50 and 100 yards, in a swamped rib.
The problem was that the shot pattern was not consistent. After the patent ran out, almost all "ball and shot gun" makers changed to the ratchet styling. This included the Lang "Afrindia" Westley Richards "Explora" Cogswell and Harrison's Cosmos, etc. Lancaster continued with their "oval " rifling in the "Colindian" till the end.
These guns were shipped all over the world but especially India. One of my favorite pictures is of the Prime Minister of Hyderabad in the 1910 Holland and Holland catalog, showing him with "3 tigers shot in 15 minutes". Their popularity peaked about 1915 and all but stopped by 1925. Recentley H&H reintroduced the "paradox", which I was fortunate to handle, in their "round action". About $68000 will get you a new one. With lots of "shotgun only" hunting states and counties, popularity in these guns has increased.
JZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please add me to the list: Chapuis 9.3 x 74R courtesy of DB BILL... hope to make it to the Ohio in Feb., will post up there as soon as I can confirm.

Dave in Nashville

Dave in Murfreesboro, TN
.416 Taylor
.45-70 Siamese Thumper

Posts: 91 | Location: TN | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just recently aqquired my 1st DR. It is a Heinrich Scherping Buchsenmacher 500BPE made in Hanover Germany approx. late 1890's. It is in great shape, beautiful dark Damascus bbl's' double set triggers, claw mounts, diopter tang sight, platinum bead F/S with flip up ivory moon
top lever, purdey style underlever on the forend
Horn buttplate & pistol grip cap, sling swivels,
back actions with rebounding hammers, action carries 90% case colours, 75% light foilate style engraving. I have been a little slow getting started on this gun as I have just finished getting cartidges made up for my buchenflinte (cape gun) 12ga damascuss x 10.25 x60R fluid steel,(no cartridges available had to reform 43 mausers and fit them to the gun. I also have one of his back action drillings, a hammerless drilling, a falling block double set trigger, 22 target pistol, and a 98 Mauser pre war sporting rifle in 8x60S. I have been working with the German Gun Collectors Assn over the years and have been assigned to him for the adopt a gunmaker program and would appreciate any info on him or his guns & finally
I'm proud to belong to this fine group.

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Dave:
Please add me to the list: Chapuis 9.3 x 74R courtesy of DB BILL... hope to make it to the Ohio in Feb., will post up there as soon as I can confirm.

Dave in Nashville

Dave:

Hope you can make it to Ohio in February. When double gun guys get together, nothing but good things come out of it.

Hope you can make it.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote