THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle Shooters Society
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Shooters Society
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
zimbabwe
This thread is old (2006). Give me a PM and I will give you the information on the current place to get the caps and other things.

Mike Davis
DRSS

Posts: 167 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Well, Just have one at the time,

William Douglass and son 470NE

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
In my 24th year of totting a double rifle!

57 years old tomorrow!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fit the mold...
.375 flanged mag-Rigby SLE,homemade
400/360 Watson Bros
500N-333flanged two barrel set Jeffery
450 Rigby rising bite
450/400 3in W C Scott, homemade

Posts: 34 | Location: Hunt, Texas & Pagosa Springs Co. | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I now have a two DR's and would like to be a member. What do I have to do to go from Newbie to "One of Us" status? Heym 88B .470 NE and a recently acquired chapuis UGEX 9.3x74R.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
To be a member, you must continue to breathe. To go to "One of us", you need to post some.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have finally selected a double rifle to call my own.
It's a 450/400 [3.25] by OSBORNE and I am happy! dancing

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I'm in x 2.
9.3x74 nose buster
500NE shoulder bruiser
both Merks

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been there...

Detail of the 1904-made H&H

H&H 500/450 Bought in 1985

Second double is a Gibbs in 350 Rigby No. 2. Works well with 225 gr. Swift A-Frame .358.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim,
Well, I am impressed. As TR would say:

"Bully good show!"

Thanks for sharing. thumb

I particularly like the safety technique of pinning the elephant's trunk tip to the earth with the hunting knife:

1. It is almost as good as a poke in the eye to see if his brain has been put out of action.

2. Also should slow him down a little if he should recover and try to get up. Those trunk tips are very sensitive.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nicely done Tim!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470 140 merkel and a 9.3X74R chapuis. Hopefully, soon to be 450/400 heym, or otherwise.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention... COOL guns TIM. I shall not covet my neighbors DB's... killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally became an official member when I received my Searcy Classic in .470 NE a couple of days ago. The wood is beautiful. I will be taking it out for the first test drive next weekend and I can't wait.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Doug! Welcome!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm alive and well. Too much water on my lease on the coast so can't get to them Hogs. Shot a 250 pounder with a Bolt(bad word) rifle keen FN mauser made in Germany with a hog on the floorplate. Thutty o six. Looking for Rusty to find a shirt. Also I'm in Houston and hope some members might reach me to fire a few rounds.

Posts: 64 | Location: houston tx | Registered: 30 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have it on good authority that this is how the pigs at the 4K Ranch feel when the DRSS shows up.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/photos_highlight_fp;_yl...FPCJtMbWiLMD3S6s0NUE

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

quote:
A western grebe is reflected in the calm water of the Missouri River near Great Falls, Mont., on Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2007. (AP Photo/Great Falls Tribune, Robin Loznak)

The hogs feel like western grebes in a tranquil pool?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Oops. It is photo 4 in the series, although a number of the photos are neat.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I have it on good authority that this is how the pigs at the 4K Ranch feel when the DRSS shows up.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/photos_highlight_fp;_yl...FPCJtMbWiLMD3S6s0NUE

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to be a member.
Have two double rifles at the moment, a nice hammer gun - Pedersoli Kodiak in 9.3x74R, and a new Krieghoff Optima (Quadro) double rifle drilling in (S/S) 9.3x74R & 20/76.
In the past I also had a Brno Super O/U in 375H&H and a Krieghoff Classic in 500/416NE.

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vasa- Why did you get rid of the 500/416? What did you think of the round? Always wondered how it performed etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
maddenwh,
My Krieghoff Classic in 500/416 was gathering dust and I only used it occasionally at the range. Since I had no plans of going to Africa, I sold it. The 500/416NE is a good round IMHO and suitable for its intended purpose, but for hunting NW North America I feel that a 375, 338 or a 9.3 fits the bill better.

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
By Vasa: ...but for hunting NW North America I feel that a 375, 338 or a 9.3 fits the bill better.

Vasa

I agree 100%.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Vasa,
Your in, Welcome aboard!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Dugaboy,
Welcome aboard!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Doc,

We're going to have to get you one of those "official greeters" vests for the DRSS!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I already have my "Official Greaters" vest, I just don't remember where I put it!!!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

Benjamin Franklin 1759

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 'been there, done that' category, Tim Carney may have most of us beat, certainly me. I heard his radio interview yesterday about his diplomatic posting in Iraq, with prior postings in Sudan, Haiti, etc. A whole new slant to 'dangerous game.' Tim, thanks for your service to us all. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent a couple of hours in Boron on Friday the 2nd with Butch, shooting my new 450 NE. My gun smith Franz Bryner from northern Utah wanted to go see his works and was impressed with Butch's rifles. That is saying a lot from and old german smith who has handled all kinds of doubles in his lifetime. I love my rifle and cannot wait to use it on something that is big mean and nasty. Also saw pictures of Butch's son's recent elephant hunt in Botswana. When he gets the DVD done I would suggest you get a copy of it. They got up and personal with a lot of elephants, and some of the buffalo they saw were magnificent to say the least. Well over 40 inches. Both Butch and his son shot game animals at over a 100 yards with his rifles to show the accuracy at longer ranges. I shot at fifty yards and the gun is accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

Was hoping that I would also qualify. I bought a nice Krieghoff 9.3x74r Classic a few months back. Since then, I've bought all kinds of extra stuff to go with it (case, scope, rings, five boxes of different types of ammo, sling, swivels, etc.). I finally got around to shooting it a few weeks ago and can't stop now. I guess I should break down and buy some dies for it since I'm shooting it so much. I started selling off some of my other guns to make room for it in the gun safe, but now feel as if I should go ahead and sell all my rifles because I don't even want to hunt with them anymore.

Does anyone else have this same problem?

Anyway, I really have learned alot reading the postings on this forum and all the books I've purchased in the past few months. I love this gun and am looking forward to using it this fall for deer season. Maybe one day I'll catch up to all you guys on one of those hog hunts.

Thanks for your time.

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
DBLhunter,

Welcome sir! We all have those thoughts about clearing the gunsafe just to buy more doubles.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DBLhunter,

I understand your feelings completely. I had never shot a double before or a caliber as big as my .470 until 2 weeks ago. Now I can't get enough of it. I even gave up deer hunting this morning so that I could walk around with the double to see if I could find a pig, or turkey, or rabbit to shoot. No luck, but I ended the morning a perfect way - shooting 6 rounds through my new #1 rifle. I am hooked.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
In the 'been there, done that' category, Tim Carney may have most of us beat, certainly me. I heard his radio interview yesterday about his diplomatic posting in Iraq, with prior postings in Sudan, Haiti, etc. A whole new slant to 'dangerous game.' Tim, thanks for your service to us all. Bob

Bob,

Much appreciate the sentiment. Thing about the business was starting in Saigon in time for the Tet Offensive...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got my Adams and CO hammer .577 2 3/4" BPE back from Keith Kearcher. Waiting on the dies to make some smoke. If I can get it to regulate I'll try it on moose next fall.

Posts: 37 | Location: Sterling, AK | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess you can include me I have a BRNO OU in 7X57R and picked up a Pedersoli in 45-70 on Friday Dave

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Casper, Dave,

Gald to have you with us. Welcome!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
I would like to become a member of Double Rifle Shooters Society. I just sent my new Merkel 2020 Exxpress in 8X57JRS to JJ for work installation of scope and a sundry of other things. I hope in gets back home to me soon. I also have a Heym 9,3X74R. I have found a new passion. Thanks in advance.
Robert Studen
Long Island New York.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It is a wonderful passion! The nicest part is getting to know folks who share that passion.
Welcome!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
Count me in, I started off 8 years ago with 470 Nitro's, a California Rigby then Searcy; then I found my true love, in double cartridges, the 500 Nitro 3" first in a Merkel and now a Heym 88-B.

Also "into" the tremendous 505 Gibbs, for everyone who thinks they're not "quite" as good as...whatever...try one! Kevin "Doctari" Robertson has far more experience with the 505 than I but I have the same passion for the cartridge that he does! 500-3" or 505 Gibbs your set for anything!

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote