THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle Shooters Society
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Shooters Society
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Glad to have you among us! We'll be glad to see when you can make an event or meeting!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received my new Searcy 470nitro underlever two days ago. cheers
going to split few pine trees in half with it this weekend clap

Oh! is this going to be fun!

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Steve,
Glad to have you among us! We'll be glad to see when you can make an event or meeting!

Thanks, Rusty. Likewise!

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Rusty

I have to admit I enjoyed seeing and handling the Classic, and finding a very clean original English double these days is getting very hard. Of course that doesn't mean I will stop looking.

Im just glad that I now have two that I am very proud of and will look forward to sharing them with you.

Fred

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in

Kreighoff Classic in 375 H&H and 470 NE

The 375 has accounted for a Tsessebe, hyena, kudu and Zebra. The 470 is waiting for Buffalo

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry is right, that first DRSS Hog Hunt was pretty informal. Five of us showed up for a weekend hunt at Camp Cooley Ranch - Rusty, Mac, Perry, Mike, and me. The weather was miserable. I don't think anybody was really prepared for that cold snap. It rained and the wind howled, but we had a good time anyway. We got three pigs that weekend, IIRC. Mike's '60s vintage Volvo Laplander shooting brake really made the hunt memorable.

We had five double rifles in camp for that first gathering - two A. Hollis & Son .450/.400 3" NEs, a Wm. Evans .400/.360 NE, a Merkel 9.3X74R, and a Pedersoli .45/70. Mike also brought his Ruger 77 .458 Win. I've lost count of how many of these hunts we've done since, but they've all been a hoot.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TerryR
Is your Krieghoff a 2 bbl set or 2 complete rifles? Is the 375 scoped?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased my first DR about a year ago...had to have one after I shot a buddy's Chapius. Having no experience or knowledge about purchasing a vintage DR, I purchased a new 470 NE.

After I made my purchase known here, JudgeG suggested I go to the DRSS hog hunt last year. Rusty contacted me and I was off to meet 577NE and the Judge at the Dallas airport.

If I only had gotten a chance to know you guys in the DRSS before hand...what a wealth of knowledge and experience. All the guys made new guy fell right at home...I even shot a hog with my 470NE. Getting together with you guys was a great time. I truely appreciated you guys sharing you knowledge, friendship, and love of DR. I always try to follow your posting here on AR....Thanks a bunch!

Best regards to all!

Jim

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim
WE did have a good time on that hunt, even if the pigs were pretty scarce.
DRSS hunts/shoots are always a great time, and you will see more double riufles in use there than in nearly any other place.
I will ask Rusty to repost the picture of our rifles against the fence.
What could be more fun, a bunch of great guys with a bunch of great doubles. thumb Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony:

Good to hear from you and congrats on your years of service! I am looking forward to hearing about your trip to Zim, I know you a are looking forward to it. Are you ready yet?

I only wish I had gotten a picture of the Tree 577NE took down with his 500NE..looked like a bolt from the sky took it down...PWN375 is surely a deadly shot...I saw him take down a Jack Rabbit, at about 100yds, with his DR! How is Mark....man really knows his Double Rifles.

Rusty is a true Gentleman...very nice of him to keep things organized! Hopefully will get a chance to see you guys soon!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim
Thanks, It should be an exciting trip. All the crew is doing good. I saw all of them at DRSS except Mark, and I talked to him a couple of times on the phone.That 500 dod a number on the tree for sure.
We need to do another DRSS hunt soon.
No I am not ready yet, I still need to load some ammo.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The collection!

Rogue's Gallery complete with Cohiba's "La Habana Cuba"

I feely admit that these gatherings are not about the hunt for me! It's all about fellowship with some of the grandest folks you'll ever meet!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to join too.

have ordered a 470NE Searcy Classic

hope to have my gun this summer

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
MHC,
Welcome sir!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was a fun hunt. For those who might be curious and haven't seen these photos before:

Top photo (L-R): Chapuis 9.3X74R; Merkel .470; Merkel .500; A. Hollis & Son .450/.400 3"; London Sporting Park .450/.400 3 1/4"; Chapuis .470; William Evans .470; Persoli .45/70; William Evans .400/.360; A. Hollis & Son .450/.400 3"; Edwinson Green .450 No. 2. (Apologies to .577 Nitro Express and jjs if I got the Merkels mixed up. I can't remember which one had the darker stock.)

Have you ever seen this many double rifles on a hunt?

Rogue's Gallery (L-R): Front row: PWN375; Dave; NE450No. 2; Evans .470. Back row: CFA; .577 Nitro Express; me; jjs; Rusty.

Attendence at these events can be hazardous. Evnas .470 and CFA both shot my Evans .400/.360 and had to have one. Within three months, CFA had his new Lang, and .470 Evans got another Evans. .577 has a new .577 in progress. clap Yep, hazardous as hell!
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
400:

You got the two Merkels correct.

Guys, I can't stress enough what a GREAT time was had by everyone at that DRSS hunt! To echo jjs' words, you will learn more about DRs in a short weekend with the DRSS than years of reading these forums!

The weekend was spent hunting, shooting different DRs, eating, lying (just a joke), and drinking.

I couldn't have cared less if we got ZERO hogs on that hunt - the weekend is more than just killing things. It's being in the company of gentlemen who share your passion of DRs. You get to see, handle and SHOOT different doubles!

Man, I can't wait for the next one!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, the tree that I trimmed on the hunt did look like Apollo himself was angered at that tree for some reason!

I can't wait to see what the .577 does to one of those charging trees next time. That may have to be a tradition for future DRSS hunts: 577NitroExpress taking out his frustrations on the closest tree he sees!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
I can assure you that every one of those doubles pictured is a fine hunting rifle.
I can also say that every hunter pictured is a fine fellow, as are all the DRSS people I have met.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 N02

I have two seperate Krieghoffs. Actually I have three as I inherited my Brother's 375 when I inhereted his 470. Both 375s are scoped with Schmidt & Benders, and both have claw mount rings. I am very happy with them.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did not know how to join but I have a William Douglass 470. I also live in Troy where the clothes are made so if you guys want to chip in and buy me some shirts you would save the postage. Seriously, apparal being in Troy makes me think some of you guys are around the Detroit area. Anybody there?

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Larry,
We're from all over! It just the embroidery business that is located in Troy. The owner, Dave, is the immediate past president of the Detroit Safari club.
Give him a call nice fellow!
He has all the artwork and can order the shirts for you!

Welcome all to the DRSS!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that it would be great to be a member of this group. I have already received a great deal of help from the members here, and hope to have my Beretta 9.3x74 shooting like it should shortly.
Beretta 9.3x74

Harry
"Some days the sun doesn't shine and the sky ain't blue" that is what the second barrel is for

DRSS
http://www.twinxblades.com/

Posts: 62 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mathsr
That is a nice looking O/U double, even if you have to have surgery to make you eyes go 8 instead of 00. Big Grin
Consider your self a member. Big Grin
The 9,3x74R is one of the best hunting calibres on the Planet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess this is my official application then, .....started off with a pair of BRNO Safari Express' in 9.3 & .375, graduated to Merkels in 9.3 & .470, a Kreighoff in 9.3 (do I like the 9.3?), a Jeffrey .450/400, and a Kerr in .500EX. Does the board accept me? ~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you qualify to me. thumb
Which of those doubles do you like the best?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think I like the Kerr the best since it's an old English with hammers. But for universal hunting purposes it'd be the the Kreighoff with the Aimpoint in 9.3, or the Jeffrey. ~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Add my name to the legions of the double rifle society. Mark me down as having .500 BPE and a 45-70 twin tubed wonders

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Tell us more about your doubles. What game have you taken with them?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
The 500 BPE is by John Lyell of Scotland. It's too old and pretty to drag out in the woods here. I haven't been able to work up the right load fo it either. The Damascus bbls. were X-rayed and found to be fine so I do play with it some.
The 45-70 is 1 of 20 or so that was made by ASTAR (Astra-Star) in Spain. I haven't had a chance to play with that one yet. It's new.
But I plan on getting it blooded this fall.
I usally hunt with a 45-70. Everything from Hepburns and Rolling Block to Siamese Mausers.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
I have heard it is sometimes hard to get BPE doubles to shoot good with modern black powder, as it is not as potient as original British Black powder. However I have also heard that "Nitro for Black" loads with IMR 4198 will shoot spot on in most BPE's.
You might try [you may have already done so]
57 grains of IMR 4198 with a 440 grain bullet for @ 1910fps at 8.8tpsi.
The original black powder loads were 10tpsi to 11 tpsi.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Interesting information. What's your source for these numbers? That might be the cause my problems.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Get a copy of "SHOOTING THE BRITISH DOUBLE RIFLE" by Graeme Wright. Huntingtons may have them.
This book has quite a bit of good info for Nitro and BPE doubles.

In my 450 No2 I load the following "Nitro for Black" loads.
300gr HP 52 grains of IMR 4198, 15 grains of poly filler, velocity 1878 fps.
400 gr Cast 50 gr IMR 4198, 15 gr poly, velocity 1822 fps.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Thanks!I'll start looking for that book.
It sure can't hurt to learn more.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of 348srfun
posted Hide Post
I would like to be added to the membership of the Double Rifle Shooters Society. My rifle is a Franz Sodia O&U in 348 Win. I made a peep sight for it and it shoots like a good bolt action.

Charlie

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL782/4063224/8686882/129627730.jpg

Charlie
Measure twice, cut once

Posts: 25 | Location: S E Georgia | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie
Welcome to AR and welcome to the DRSS.
That is a nice looking double, even if your eyes have to be like this 8 to shoot it. Big Grin

What load and bullets do you shoot and what game have you taken with it?

One of Us
Picture of 348srfun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome.
My 348 is one of those guns some people dream about and others hate. It shoots great with factory Winchester 200 grain Silver tips(an over and under shot, not in that order, are usually in one inch at 100 yards). They were plentiful several years ago and I took advantage of that. No chance(need) to develop the right loads or different loads.
While I have taken it deer hunting several times, I have yet to take any game with it.
I hope to change that in the future.
While some people have trouble shooting with both eyes open, I am not one of them. I am not sure if my eyes are 8 or 00. Either works just fine and for sure they are not -0 or --.

Charlie
Measure twice, cut once

Posts: 25 | Location: S E Georgia | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
348, do not wait for next deer season, go find some pigs mgun. There should be plenty in SE Ga. Go whack something. cheers

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me in as a member of the DRSS.
Army Navy 470NE

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please accept my application for membership. AFter months of waiting, Lavaca and I shot my new Chapuis 9.3 for the first time yesterday. I purchased it from DLN at the tail end of the last group buy. It is scoped with a 1.1-4 X 24 Schmidt & Bender flashdot in the Recknagel swing mounts. It's quite an adjustment from the bolt rifles I've shot all my life, but I had a blast -- and received more than a few lustful looks from onlookers. Now I just have to learn how to shoot it. Rusty, I don't know if you remember, but we met at the last big gun show in Houston. I had my boys with me and it was right after I had placed the order for it. Regards, Michael

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Only one I have left is Merkel 141 in 8x57JRS. Finally got it scoped and shooting. Looks like it'll be a great one.------ Incidentally what IS the DRSS emblem. I have never seen it and went to the embroider site and could not find anything either. Do they have caps. I would like to wear one if they do.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only one for me, currently my Mistress, Browning Express Rifle in 9.3x74 that is up of sale to make room for foxhound's Chapuis in 9.3x74 that is in the mail.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote