Sabatti Double Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
Can someone explain again, why a 470 has to cost 5k and 45/70 $3k? Why is a $6k gun, the 'goto' gun ???

Do hunters or shooters need engraving or other fancy crap.

What ever happened to unpretentious modesty?

We are talking men here right? MEN, Not women buying dresses and shoes!

What LOOKS better, a splinter forearm or one you can actually get a grip on? Engraving? Like pimps in purple caddys.

The answer to a prevalent question often asked!

On Internet forums I find some questions are asked on every thread regarding double rifles. These questions are most often asked by folks who have zero experience with stopping rifles in general, or double rifles in particular. This is not always the case however, because these same questions are often asked by people who should already know the answers. Even worse the folks who should already know the answer give answers, as fact, when they really don’t know the answers. This has been a problem for some time, and is one reason so many people do not understand double rifles, or how they work. Because of misinformation in magazines, or by folks like well-known gunsmiths, are taken as fact by the person who asked the question in the first place.

The most common misconception is that double rifles are regulated to have the shots cross at a given distance, and that the double rifle because of that fact, are only good for short range hunting! This misconception is repeated by amature, and so-called experts alike, and is patently wrong! More about that latter.

The second most asked question is why does a 470NE double rifle cost so much more than a double chambered for 9.3X74R made by the same maker, with the same amount of finish?

The reasoning for the question is always the same, and on the surface is makes sense. That reasoning is, it takes the same amount of fit and finish to build the two rifles so why is the 9.3X74R selling for $7K, while the same grade 470NE sells for $10K up? Why the $3K difference? There is a sound reason, believe it or not!

This is usually asked about off the shelf doubles rather that custom made to order doubles. I think you will find that custom made in both chamberings will cost much closer together.

The whole process of building of off the shelf double rifles is that much very skilled handwork is involved. This requires many man-hours of very skilled labor , and that labor comes at a hight cost per hour, multiplied by about 700 to 800 man-hours. this cost is not off-set by a deposite made up front by the buyer.

This cost must be bared by the company up front. First off the components must be made or bought before the building can commence, a out-lay of several hundred dollars. Then comes the labor. Even with as much grunt work being done with CNC as is possible this too requires expert operators, which are not cheap, and the actual team of rifle makers, barrel men, stock fitters, metal sculptors, action fitters, barrel regulators, sight regulators. This team requires a salary that is paid weekly, or at least by-weekly, and the rifle hasn’t even been ordered by a dealer yet. These companies are small compared to the large companies we Americans are used to, and must, most times, work on borrowed money, and by the time the completed rifles are ready to ship, a pile of money has already spent with interest piling up, while these rifle sit on the shelves awaiting orders.

The wages have been paid, the rifles are finished and on the shelf, the interest is still building. So we come to shelf time for the rifles. The 9.3X74R, and smaller rifles will move very fast, because the European market for double rifle in those chambers is larger by twenty times that of the double rifle made in the 375 H&H and up, but the time really gets long above 450NE, because most are bought with Africa in mind, and are rarely used for hunting anyplace else. The 9.3, and lower are everyday hunting guns in Europe and sell like our bolt rifles here, so sit on the shelf a very short time. The ones sold in the USA are but a drop in the bucket compared to those sold in Europe, especially Eastern Europe. However, the 450NE and up are sold mostly in the USA, and not in big lots.

The large Safari doubles may sit on the shelf for a year before someone orders one, all the time logging up more interest before the return of the cost out-lay plus any profit they may have generated. The lag time between commencement of work on the rifle, and final payment by the customer may be a year or more for the Safari double, while only five of six months for the smaller rifle. That lag time costs money, and the longer the time the more it costs.

.................Sound about right? coffee

As usual Mac, you are the voice of reason. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The large Safari doubles may sit on the shelf for a year before someone orders one,

These gun were all built same year and sold immediately, via cabelas or at this show. ALL the 470 and 500 are sold -gone. ONLY the less expensive 45/70 remain unsold! All built on the same frame, same weight, same time period, same regulation effort -same, same,same. Well except, it maybe he 470 had more machine engraving! Woopie!

So much for that "sitting on the shelf longer" theory.

Based on info posted here. Admitted - I have no personal knowledge of this situation.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10K vs 7K does not does not make sense from an investment or economic standpoint. The opportunity cost to have $7000 sitting on the shelf for a year is about $1050 at 15% rate of return. That would mean it should sell for $8050 or so. Given that, we must conclude the asking price is driven by the perception that folks that require a larger caliber are capable of traveling to Africa and paying high trophy fees so they can pay more for the rifle.

Regards,

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
quote:
The large Safari doubles may sit on the shelf for a year before someone orders one,

These gun were all built same year and sold immediately, via cabelas or at this show. ALL the 470 and 500 are sold -gone. ONLY the less expensive 45/70 remain unsold! All built on the same frame, same weight, same time period, same regulation effort -same, same,same. Well except, it maybe he 470 had more machine engraving! Woopie!

So much for that "sitting on the shelf longer" theory.

Based on info posted here. Admitted - I have no personal knowledge of this situation.

Fourbore,the rifles we are talking about here were not made at the show. They may have been made five yrs ago in Italy, and lieing on the shelves of the maker for yrs before Cabela's bought them.

the Sabattis are a special deal,that someone else defaulted on, I'm told, and are simply a buy out of a whole yr's order by someone else bought by Cabella's. The Sabattis in the higher chamberings were the ones made to order for a special run. Cabella's had the ready funds to buy the whole run, bailing out Sabatti, as well as an oppertunity to make a quick profit, on rifles that are a bargain price even at Cabella's priceing. It remains to be seen if these rifle are really a bargain at all, when the rifles are so light that a 500NE weighs only a little over 8 pounds. With a rifle that light chambered for NE rounds like those, something is left out in thier making. The fact is $5K is a bargain basement price for a 450NE to 500NE even for a blued model.

I have seen the Cabela's model, though I didn't actually handle the rifle, it doesn't look bad at all but 8 pounds for a 500NE! Eeker

I will say I have handled the base models chambered for 45-70, and they are a little shaky IMO, and not worth much more that the asking price if at all. I, for one, would rather pay $1000 more for the Pedersoli 45-70, because in my opinion, the pedersoli is a better made rifle than the base Sabatti.

Whether you like it or not, the more features there are on a double rifle the more it will cost you. Even the top of the Sabatti line is far under priced for even a base model double rifle chambered for even deer chamberings like the 45-70. The fit and finish on the base Sabatti is well under parr IMO. The top one from Cabela's is again, IMO, too light for anything larger than 45-70 at 8 pounds which is what the rifle was designed for IMO. the 450NE should weigh a minimum of 9 pounds, and the 500NE should come in at a flat 11.5 to 12 pounds. If it does the Cabela's version may be worth the very cheap price of $5K.
Fourbore, you have absolutely no idea when this run of rifles was made nor how long the maker has had them sitting on the shelf waiting for a buyer, or what deposit was tendered for the batch, if there was one at all. Somebody was hurting financially or Cabela's wouldn't have been able to buy the whole lot, and still be able to sell them for $5K each and make a profit.

If you are bitching about a big bore double rifle costing $5000 USD then you are looking at the wrong class of firearm.

The discription I gave you in my prior post is in the normal flow of a maker's doubles that are considered "OFF THE SHELF" double rifles. There will always be a differencial between the small chamberings and the Safari chambered rifles, and the reasons I offered are the reasons. It is a simple matter of tieing up your money, or moveing your product to free your money for your operation. Delay in movement of your product cost money. It is labeled as "dead stock" till it is sold.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are bitching about a big bore double rifle costing $5000 USD then you are looking at the wrong class of firearm.

maybe you are right, maybe not. I dont mind paying $5000 if I though the value was there.

quote:
Given that, we must conclude the asking price is driven by the perception that folks that require a larger caliber are capable of traveling to Africa and paying high trophy fees so they can pay more for the rifle.

This is what I believe. And the actual sales back up the premise. Or some of the Sebatti buyers are green (like me), and got suckered.

You can see the prior thread on the Pedersoli 45/70 that was initially sold for under $1500. It now cost $4000 for the exact same gun. Why? I think demand. Buyers are willing to pay $4k, why would cabelas or pedersoli take less? I am not willing to pay more then $1500 for this.

Think about gold. It cost $400 to refine one oz of gold from the ground to coin. Today that coin sells for $1100 dollars. Why? What is a product going to cost long term that takes $400 to produce?

quote:
I will say I have handled the base models chambered for 45-70, and they are a little shaky IMO, and not worth much more that the asking price if at all. I, for one, would rather pay $1000 more for the Pedersoli 45-70, because in my opinion, the pedersoli is a better made rifle than the base Sabatti.

Now, this is interesting and I have to thank you for the candid evaluation on the 45/70 through the 500NE models. I would never learn this from reading one of those magazine white washes.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Werll, I am not in the market any more for one of these. I do not care if they are $1,000 ea, they are too light for caliber.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a handle of the 45/70 and a 416 at the Shot Show.

Interesting - very light indeed and not sure how they will stand up in the long run.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very much of a newcomer to DRs but have shot and owned many SxS shotguns for many years and am familiar with the same refrain!

Guys try to convince themselves that a 10K shotgun is a rip-off or just priced because of engraving, wood etc. Certainly there are examples where this is true (Beretta sideplated guns, for example) but once you've shot a range of shotguns for a while the price differences begin to make some sense.

I bought a 9.3x74R Chapuis from Dale Nygaard and am slowly getting used to it. I frankly don't care if it was over or under-priced (it was roughly in the price range they sell for so how the hell do I know, anyway) but if I want to play, that's the cost of entering the game.

In the world of shotguns, some guys buy $500 SxSs and then spend the next 5 years either complaining or telling you how great the warranty work is since they need it monthly (or so it seems).

I think the Heym PH comes in a totally plain receiver and it still isn't a "cheap" gun.

My wife and I were in NY for Christmas and we went into Barney's and they have pocketbooks that cost more than my Chapuis.

Worth it?

If that's what you're buying, then yes.

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I was at the Dallas show and did get to handle the Sabatti's,
I have four double rifles presently,Heym 470,Heym 450-400,CZ 458 Win Mag o/u,and a Chapuis 9.3 x 74r,I also owned a Merkel 470 previously,out of all these different brands of rifles none gave me any trouble as such,my Chapuis lost regulation after firing Barnes TSX'S and is being re-regulated as we speak,it did dissapoint me that it happened but I have not lost confidence in that rifle,
After handling the Sabatti,I can honestly say,that it just does'nt seem to impress when compared to my other rifles,would I risk $5000.00 for a unproven gun,when a few thou more will get you into a Merkel e.t.c with a good track record,I would not,on the other hand,if the gun does get proven in the field,I will probably be in the line up for one and you can bet it won't be the 500 ! Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys try to convince themselves that a 10K shotgun is a rip-off or just priced because of engraving, wood etc. Certainly there are examples where this is true (Beretta sideplated guns, for example) but once you've shot a range of shotguns for a while the price differences begin to make some sense.

Maybe true, to a degree. I have hunted with the Browning Citori upland shotgun. I doubt for 10K-100k you could find a more reliable or better handing shotgun. Perfect is prefect. Zero failures, perfect handling, how can you be beat that? All, I ever would ask, is Citori quality in a double rifle.

I should not say "zero" failures. I has on occasion failed to close. The gun is so closely fitted anything in the action, even unburned powder, might on rare occasion prevent it from snapping shut. Does this ever happen with fine double rifles?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One small correction if I may. I've seen Spain mentioned here a couple of times. I'm pretty darned sure that Sabatti is an ITALIAN company, not Spanish. For certain, the maker's advertisement, posted on the second page of this thread, is printed in Italian, not Spanish.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Italian it is.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
I just would like to correct one thing that seems to keep being posted about Cabelas buying an entire years run to bail out someone. This is simply not true as a Dealer up here in Canada has several of the rifles and has been selling them since last year. Currently he has 14 left and I know of at least 6 that have already been sold. At first it was mainly 45-70's and 9.3 x74R but he also just recieved a few new African calibers just last week. Cabelas just locked up the US distribution rights to Sabatti's and did not buy up the entire run.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much does the 45-70 retail for in Canada?

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
The smaller calibers are listed from 2295-4500 CAD The larger calibers (375 flanged- 500 NE) are 6000 CAD

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
$6000 CAD = $5631 USD Today

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote