THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    DRSS Hog Hunt '06 Camp Cooley, TX
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DRSS Hog Hunt '06 Camp Cooley, TX
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was worried too but only because I didn't want to have to replace the engine block.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Frank - until I saw your photos, I had forgotten about the car being there. In all fairness, it was my car and no one was in/on or around it.

Everyone else seemed a little concerned with it's location, but I remember wanting to keep it in the shade!

I think the comment I made was that anyone who hit the car had to surrender their double rifle - because no one that shot that poorly should own one.
Wink

Rusty - re: groceries - I apprecite your "thank you" and am glad that I could help. I appreciate being included!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Thank you again for all the help!
I really enjoyed meeting you!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
As for my highlights on this weekends hunt, and target practice! Since this was my first time with all of you, Shooting the 577 for the first time was the best time I ever had! I so much enjoyed being in the company of Rusty, Mark, Tony,and Perry, and all that attended! I felt like one of the guys! And for that I'm truely thankful!
I really enjoyed hunting with Roscoe,even tho we didn't see anything,
See you all at the next one,

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Doc,
What about my racoon...the 470 killed him with one shot! That is performance.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Roscoe:

There are two "a's and two "c's" in raaccoon. Big Grin
Maybe two "o's", too???
Come to South Georgia and lets try that .470 on some pigs!

BTW, you may be the first person to kill something that has a cross-section less than the O.A.L. of the cartridge. A new first!

Doc:

Remember after you had the bourbon, you promised to send me the .577 for my elephant hunt this March. Please P.M. me for my mailing address... I need to start practicing so send it now, and please incude several hundred loaded solids. I'll send you a few boxes of .308's to make us even. I'll get it back to you by next summer.... maybe. I'll send you my Baikal for security.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Good one Judge!
I can't tell you what a pleasure it was seeing you again. You had myself, and everyone else rolling on the floor! I look forward to our next meeting!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

Benjamin Franklin 1759

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Doc:

Now don't back out! I had two completely sober witnesses who don't drink... Mark and Tony. In fact, they discussed your offer Friday night until 5:00 a.m. .... while I was sleeping (or better, trying to sleep) on eight chairs... Interesting word picture, huh?... but true.

I'll let you out of the .577 thing. Seems that someone did me a goodie with American... Got to thank that guy... What's his name???

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Judge,
Don't B.S a B.S'R, Mark and Tony got hammered themselves! Maybe not as much as Me! And if I remember correctly, I was sober enough to watch you put the chairs together for your little slumber party!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

Benjamin Franklin 1759

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Roscoe:

There are two "a's and two "c's" in raaccoon. Big Grin
Maybe two "o's", too???
Come to South Georgia and lets try that .470 on some pigs!

BTW, you may be the first person to kill something that has a cross-section less than the O.A.L. of the cartridge. A new first!

Judge,
I am starting to think you are trying to hurt my feelings. After shooting Doc's 577 I mentioned that the recoil pushed my left hand into my face( I shoot left handed) and caused minor discomfort to my nose....you proceeded to tell the world that this was due to me having a rather large (I call it a Roman) nose....it had nothing to do with the fact that the rifle has a little recoil. Now you are poking fun at my inability to spell correctly....and that I am only capable of killing small animals with my double( it was a perfect shoulder shot on that coon BTW)....I am starting to think you no longer wish to be my friend.

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
it had nothing to do with the fact that the rifle has a little recoil.

ROSCOE:

You must be mistaken - I ordered that .577 without recoil from Butch.

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Don't make us seperate you two!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I was one "fortunate" enough to shoot the Hawk's new Searcy .577. I took careful aim with a good hold on the beautiful rifle.

BOOM! and my right hand knocked the snot out of my nose... and that's not just a idiom. Before I could shoot the second shot, I had to clean my glasses. Roll Eyes But with a firm grip with my left hand, the second shot was much less like getting a jab from George Foreman and really not that bad.

Paul,
I think the Judge and I were shooting a different 577.... homer

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Oh man, I forgot to show you the double secret, extra hidden no recoil switch on the rifle!

Dang it!

I'll remember next time!

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe
I heard you did make a good shot on that raccoon, and with iron sights to boot. thumb

I cheated on my little coyote, I used the 400 with a scope, but he was trotting along [not a full speed run].

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Perhaps in the next life I'll be lucky enough to be a TEXAN

Well done Rusty

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
308Sako,
You can be a Texan in this life!
That's the beauty of Texas! We have always welcomed new people to the mix! To be a Texan all you need to do is move here, set up your tent, look around and say, "I like this place! I want to be a Texan!" Well, congratulations! That makes you a Texan! The glue that bind a diverse group of people from Brownsville to Dalhart, from Sabine Pass to El Paso is the fact that we are all Texans!

You can be a Texan, now!

You want to be a Virginian? Sorry, 300 years too late!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Well truth be known I'll probably be a Nevadan before I'm a Texan. Been looking at homes out here and getting close to pulling the trigger. One down and one left to go in NY. Hell I don't care if I become a Martian if there's no Hillary/Schumer there!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The highlight for me was when I discovered that Doc and 577 had "secret" doubling switches installed on their 577 and 500 for their unsuspecting friends Eeker And added two more members to the doubling double rifle shooters society.

I was really impressed with the two Chapuis 9.3 X 74's in camp. I agree with what Mark posted in another thread - that is the best deal in a double rifle today. And given the trend in doubles, it surely won't last long.

So I ordered one from Chris Big Grin.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The highlight for me was when I discovered that Doc and 577 had "secret" doubling switches installed on their 577 and 500 for their unsuspecting friends Eeker And added two more members to the doubling double rifle shooters society.

And since we are on the subject of Doubles, I thought you might enjoy:

Finally recognizing that "Yes Perry, You did it"

And here the double trio share their double up cartridges of choice!

And then there was the double of another sort.
Be sure to ask JudgeG about the story. Be sure it is in Public and be sure he has had a cocktail to refresh his memory.

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim
What scope are you going to use in your Chapuis?

Pivot mount or Claw?

Nice pictures Frank.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Looking at the S&B for the scope.

As for mounts, haven't decided yet. Any recommendations?

Jim

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

That reminds me - what happened to the pic of the "Liquor Store Lolita"?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim
I just took a look at my Chapuis, which as you know has their pivot mount.
I have 2 scopes in rings and both go back to zero as near as I can tell.

Due to the fact that the rear sight stands straight up I do not know if claw mounts would give enough clearance to tip the scope off if it was mounted as low as my scopes are. Even a straight tube scope like the 1.1-4 S&B might not clear.
I know a 2.5-8 Leupold and a Swarovsky 1.5-6x42 will work in the pivot mount, by work I mean the scope fits in the mount on the rifle and you can position it for proper eye relief.

Go to the Swarovski and S&B web sights and compare tube lengths and objective bell diameter, profile and length.
The Swarovski just barely fits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim:

Take a hard look at both before you bite. Look at the claw mounts on Tony's .400 again if you can. J. J. did a nice job with those. The pivot mounts are inferior in every way, but the claw is more expensive.

Claw mounts can be set up with the claw on either end. With the claw at the rear, it will clear anything that the pivot mount will, and they're set up that way all the time. To me, scoping a double isn't at all like scoping a bolt rifle. On a double, you need to be able to get the scope off FAST, and the claw is the fastest, strongest detachable mount there is.

Personally, I wouldn't choose a scope for a double that couldn't be set low, with a conventional front claw mounting, but that's just me.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 guns with claw mounts.
I think that is the best mount system by far.
The pivot mount on my Chapuis has worked perfectly, but the claw mount is stronger as both the front and rear ring take up the recoil forces.
Having the claw bases mouinted "backwards" is a good idea. Since the Chapuis rib is already cut for mounts the bases might have to be custom made. Contact JJ Perodeau and ask him.

Jim
I do think there would be enough clerance for a S&B 1.1-4 straight objective scope, like the one on my 400 to work on the Chapuis with conventional claw mounts as you can mount the scope with the objective just behind the rear sight, giving it enough room to be lifted off from the rear..

That is the reason I went with those scopes om my 400 and my drilling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also wish I had a set of 20ga bbls for my Chapuis.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Look at the moobs on that old dog!!

All he needs is a Bk "King" mask!!!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And now for the rest of the story.
As Jim mentioned there was a Lolita involved.
Here is the store mentioned.......

I have the evidence but you must rely upon his honour to tell the tale to its fullest potential.
The Judge seizing the opportunity decided to help set up some balloons which new_guy brought along to spice up the target shooting.

And not wanting to miss ANY opportunity at some added target practice......

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Judge cannot help it if some "sweet" gal wants wants to make him her boy toy. clap
The rest of ya'll are just jealous. shame

Some of us got "IT' Wink some of ya'll don't. troll

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it that she just wanted him for his dental plan.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
I WAS THERE!!!!! I RAN AS FAST AS I COULD AFTER SEEING HER ALL SWEET AND MUSHY WITH THE JUDGE!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

Benjamin Franklin 1759

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
NO B.S. THERE WEREN'T ENOUGH BROWN PAPER BAGS AND JACK DANIELS IN THE COUNTY, THAT WOULD MAKE ME FEEL LIKE TACKELING THE SWEETY THAT WAS HITTIN ON THE JUDGE11111

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

Benjamin Franklin 1759

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
JIM,
SHE DEFINATLY WANTED A SPERM DONATION!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

Benjamin Franklin 1759

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
If Frank will post the picture, I will tell the story.

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Com'on you guys I need some more laughs,don't stop now!

Posts: 115 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK then. This is the one the Judge walked away from!

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Judge,
what the heck......!
Did you walk away from that?

Posts: 115 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Apparently Frank did find enough Bourbon! Eeker animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS, Wrong girlfriend. That was one of mine.

Here is the one JudgeG passed on. And a very lovely lass she is. Her first question when I asked permission to take her photo was "Will this be on the Internet?. Psychic too I guess.

And Rusty, if that was your bottle of JD that was left behind, I do thank you. I was enjoying a glass last night as a matter of fact.
Frank