THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Video- John Wilkes .600NE vs. Cape Buffalo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video- John Wilkes .600NE vs. Cape Buffalo
 Login/Join

posted
The Hunt

This video has several nice close-ups of Cal Pappas's double.

Greg Hoversten
hoversten@cableone.net

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
link did not work for me.....
Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
It works fine. Go Cal! Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or is this a perfect example of "Doesn;t matter what you hit them with if you hit them in the wrong place."

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Stinko.

Didn't see the shot ... faked in audio.

Ear plugs?

What a stinkorama.

Couldn't watch it all.

"Good thing he didn't charge us..."

What is this crap?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Is that a Webley action on Cal's 600 Nitro?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Mike:
Yes, it is a Webley action. It has been called a "long bar" but I don't know.

Will: The ear plugs are because I'm half deaf now due to shooting when I was younger. Sorry you were displeased. Tell us about your hunts there and your doubles--we're always open to good stories and information.

Idaho: My problem with the rifle was my practice sessions in Alaska before I departed. My shooting was accurate and well-placed but it was slow and deliberate shooting. When I took some quick shots at the buffalo I placed too much bead in the rear sight and shot high. My first shot was right on--a frontal chest shot--but slipped past the heart and lungs and went through to the rear quarter. The last was through both shoulders. The interim were high or a miss as the buff was moving in the brush.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Cal,

The reason I asked is that I recently purchased a 450-400 3 1/4" Boswell. The action on my rifle looks very similar to the action on your rifle and I am 99% sure mine is a Webley. It is my second double, first English double and I am still learning about it.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
In all the buff I have shot not once was there melodramatic music playing in the background! Smiler

I find this typical of the dramatization of the most innocuous occurrence and pseudo-Capstick wannabe.

Stories abound, even here on AR, where the most inconsequential event is turned into a flowery, heart rendering, so poetic, tear-jerking soulful event, but at the same time a death-defying struggle, or maybe just a big load of poop.

Hey, if the shot was spot on the buff should have fell over dead there on the spot.

Sorry, but just sometimes this stuff just gets to be a little much.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Spoken like a true engineer.

I hope to be like Will when I grow up.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Who pissed in Will's coffee?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
Cal-

thanks for sharing! The mighty 600NE... awesome. Thnaks again, keep the vids coming! Take care!

Gene

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:

Brett

Basicly he always does everything better than anyone else and failing that he can and does tear it apart.

577/500 Magnum Alex Henry ,500 BPE John Lyell, 45-70 ASTAR,9.3X74R Pedersoli,9.3x74R Chapuis, 9.3X72R, J Franzoj, 9.3X72R guild gun

Posts: 10 | Location: Anchorage | Registered: 29 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal for the video...and for always willing to share your knowledge regarding doublesrifles. I have enjoyed your book about the "six" Wink

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Will is only upset because he can't figure out how to have music playing in the background while you read his book! animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The way he worded it, he must have thought that there was a bearer hauling around a boom box for the music.. homer

577/500 Magnum Alex Henry ,500 BPE John Lyell, 45-70 ASTAR,9.3X74R Pedersoli,9.3x74R Chapuis, 9.3X72R, J Franzoj, 9.3X72R guild gun

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AkMike1:
quote:

Brett

Basicly he always does everything better than anyone else and failing that he can and does tear it apart.

It would seem.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

"they*" ganged up on him.

Rich

*they: Father Time & Mother Nature

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Stories abound, even here on AR, where the most inconsequential event is turned into a flowery, heart rendering, so poetic, tear-jerking soulful event, but at the same time a death-defying struggle, or maybe just a big load of poop.

Ain't that the truth. coffee

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13653 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
It looks like we have a "playa hata"!

Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loved the video...it reminded me of a commercial...

Trophy fee for Cape Buff...$2,750, 29 rounds of 600 NE to take him...$3,496, Wilkes vintage double rifle....Priceless!!!!!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hey, just my opinion. I do like to offer an alternative view occasionally. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Hi Gents:
I love all of your comments. We don't live in a perfect world and sometimes shots go where they are not supposed to. Why hide it--it was great fun AND with a vintage double in the very rare .600. It is an honor to have, shoot, and hunt with one. I may take it for spring brown bear this May in Alaska as some good brownies live in my area.

Rusty: What book has Will written? I'd like to see a copy.

Jens: I'm pleased you like the book and my site.

Will: As to the music. The video was put together by a close friend who when on the hunt with me as an observer. He's an emergency room physician who dabbles in technology. Personally, I like the way he did the video with lots of stuff on the rifle (which is the star of the story). The music was just an add-on. Yes, the shot was not "spot on"--many were not--but I really don't see many one shot kills with open sighed doubles. Hell, I don't see that many with 'scoped super magnums. I've got more trips planned in the future as well as trying to put some together on double rifles--from a practical shooting point, not a technical point. They may have music. Anyway, sorry to have pulled your chain and I still am interested in some of your experiences and doubles.

Thanks, Greg for your time and video.

Brett and Mike, we'll be shooting at noon on the 16th at Birchwood. I'll have my 7-bore, .600, and maybe my 4-bore. (If you take short videos of the shooting please don't add any music to them!)
Cheers, all.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
Well done with both the hunt and the video, I certainly enjoyed watching it.
As you say, how many guys get the opportunity to hunt buffalo with a vintage Brit 600 NE double! That rifle is very nice indeed. tu2

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal, Good hunt and good video.

Cal's book on 600 Nitro Doubles is a good book on the 600 Nitro with a lot of great info and pictures.

He also wrote another book that is a very good read. the book is James '.450' WATTS: RECOLLECTIONS OF MY LIFE as told to Cal Pappas.

I had a chance to visit with Cal a little bit when I was helping Chris Sells in the Heym Booth at DSC in Dallas and SCI in Reno.

I found him to be a very nice guy, that loves his doubles.

As a side note, I once shot a cape buff in heavy cover at 12 yards with my 450 No2.

The 480 Woodleigh soft, went through the shoulder, straight through the center of the heart, and lodged against the skin on the off side. I have a picture of me holding the heart with a hole right through the center of it.

The buff covered just over a hundred yards.

Asd I aproached it tried to get up, and two solids from about 15 yards knocked it down, and a 44 Mag to the brain at 2 yards ended the deal.

The deal with a cape buff can be, even a fatal hit, can take a while to be fatal.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The shoot is Sat. the 10th right at the crack of noon.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Good day from the far north. Mike is correct--the shoot is the 10th. I was thinking of another engagement for the next weekend (Jessica Simpson) and I got confused.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
Thank you for the video and BEAUTIFUL rifle. Gives me even more prompting to spend more crazy money on an English double!

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Brett and Mike, we'll be shooting at noon on the 16th at Birchwood. I'll have my 7-bore, .600, and maybe my 4-bore. (If you take short videos of the shooting please don't add any music to them!)
Cheers, all.
Cal

Big Grin I'll keep that in mind Cal!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal I enjoyed watching your video thank you for sharing.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, that's a great video, and I'm sure it captures the spirit of your hunt and allows you to relive it in a way photos alone can't. Very nice.

Even more impressive though, it that you actually admit to making a few less than perfect shots! That is unheard of in today's hunting videos, where every shot is perfect, every hunter an expert, bullets never fail, and animals die right on schedule.

I appreciate the dose of reality, that even after the best of plans, the real world sometimes rears its ugly head you have to adjust and play the card the hunt has dealt you.

Give Jessica my love and ask her to stop calling me!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Thanks all for your kind comments.
Bob: Life is what it is and we all, at times, miss a few.
Cheers, all.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt.

All is well that ends well.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

I met with you at the DSC and looked over your 4 bore and 600.
For you guys on this forum who have not met Mr Pappas, I will have to say I am a bit disappointed in him. Cal's arms are bigger than most of your calf muscles. I do not know why he needs a 600. I think he could bulldog a cape buffalo and Tarzan him with a knife!!
Nice guy! I would not want to make him mad!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brett

might be self inflicted

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39679 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
yuck

That got a good chuckle!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Cal's arms are bigger than most of your calf muscles. I do not know why he needs a 600. I think he could bulldog a cape buffalo and Tarzan him with a knife!!

Isn't that the truth. I'm in my late 20's all of 6 foot 200 lbs. and I feel a little dwarfed by a man in his mid 50's. I had the pleasure of shooting Cal's 600 with full power loads a couple weekends ago. It's managable and I was happy that I managed the recoil so well, but.........it has a lot of "push" to it! Big Grin 2 rounds where more than enough to make my shoulder a bit soar for a couple days.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Cal that was a good film, and taken in a good place! The only problem I had with it was the video loaded right up, but the sound took about three plays all the way through to load. I thought the film was pritty good for an amateur effort!

On the shots being off a little that is quite common when compared to one's performance on the fireing range at paper targets that don't move, or hide behind brush. It does bring to the forefront the old addage that the size is not as important as the placement! The average with even well placed shots, on Cape buffalo, is seldom DRT, no matter the cartridge unless the spine or brain is hit. We know the black bulls are tough critters, and on occasion can take a lot of big chunks of lead & copper before going down for the count! That's some of what makes buffalo hunting so much fun!

...........................Congratulations of the rifle, and the hunt beer

PS: coffee.....Damn Will! This coffee tastes like piss! bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Self water purifying????

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

Brett

might be self inflicted

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

I'm a huge fan of the 600 NE cal in British vintage double rifles.

I appreciate your presenting it, hunting with it, and allowing me
to day dream a bit more. wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote