New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-40 krag or 303 brit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For a double destined for N American hunting, considering available ammo and performance which of these two would you choose?

I am leaning towards the 303 British myself.

This one would be part of my quartet of doubles I will eventualy build. .22 Hornet, 303 or 30-40, 9.3x74r and 450/400 3".

Of course I am not limiting myself, but these would be a set.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have just pruchased an O/U 8X57JRS express rifle. I think it would make a great double for North American game. You might consider 30-30 Winchester.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,
I would say the .303 British, firstly because that's what I'm currently building and secondly because it's THE classic calibre in a double rifle.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I have just pruchased an O/U 8X57JRS express rifle. I think it would make a great double for North American game. You might consider 30-30 Winchester.

The double chambered for the 303 Britt,is a classic,regulated with decent ammo and 30-40K, and a 30-30 winchester, all these I would build a 1-10" twist useing a 170 gr bullet, on a 28 ga size action, They would be cheap to shoot, and easy to reload. The 9.3X74R, and the 450/400NE 3" I'd build on a 20 ga size action.

I can't wait to see the finished product! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
call me jingoistic if you will; but I see an American double in the classic American rimmed cartridge...30-40 Krag. They originally came with a 220 gr bullet. The only issue I have with a double is my inordinate desire to tinker with different bullets and powders. It would take me a year dinking around to find the most accurate load, and then there's the fun or regulation...
I'd better just get a 9,3x74R and a 500 3" NE.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
This 22 hornet double is the coolest!

Half size cart needs a half size double!

Talk about a packable lightweight double!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
there's no MEANINGFUL difference between the 303 and 30-40 ...

or the 8x57JRS

but the 30-40 does have a .308 barrel

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick,

I've oogled Peter Hofer's little doubles quite a lot. VERY impressive work. I just don't know if I could shoot something that light.

I considered the 8x57jrs too. Just not as available as the 303 or 30-40. 30-30 just leaves me flat. The British IS a classic......

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am currently building a 303 on a Westley Richards 16 ga drop lock action for myself but have also shot a bit with a Holland & Holland single shot box lock in 30-40 Krag. The 30-40 is deadly on wild pigs and the local deer. I would rate either cartridge, along with the 8mm Mauser, as equal for all but bear and moose in this country. I used the 8mm on plains game in Zim and was completely satisfied.

Posts: 34 | Location: Hunt, Texas & Pagosa Springs Co. | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just about decided on the .303 British. Off the shelf ammo is readily available and less expensive than the Krag. That means I can shoot more, and that's the name of the game isn't it??

.300 H&H flanged just doesn't fit the bill on this one. It brings up an interesting note though. Why have so many of the German calibers found more sucess in todays world over the British calibers. Case in point would be the .375 flanged vs the 9.3X74R. I am guessing it is a price issue for ammo, but lets be real, .375 flanged would be no more expensive to manufacture then the 9.3x74r on an equal quantity. I am sure there are ideosyncracies that I am not aware of, but it seems a marketing drive for one over the other.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bailey Bradshaw:
I am just about decided on the .303 British. Off the shelf ammo is readily available and less expensive than the Krag. That means I can shoot more, and that's the name of the game isn't it??

.300 H&H flanged just doesn't fit the bill on this one. It brings up an interesting note though. Why have so many of the German calibers found more sucess in todays world over the British calibers. Case in point would be the .375 flanged vs the 9.3X74R. I am guessing it is a price issue for ammo, but lets be real, .375 flanged would be no more expensive to manufacture then the 9.3x74r on an equal quantity. I am sure there are ideosyncracies that I am not aware of, but it seems a marketing drive for one over the other.

Hello Bailey,

Have had three SxS rifles, but am down to two (and one of those is hopefully sold). Therefore I am a rank amatuer. However, I had done much research on the subject over several years, as I plunked along, saving up for each mentioned rifle. Have taken an even one dozen African critters with one of the three mentioned rifles,(Merkel .375 H&H).

1. I'd suggest the .303 for resale value as well as for nostalgia. As one chap pointed out, it is traditional. Not that there were never any made in .30-40 Krag but nothing like the .303 was in total numbers. Double rifles (SxS mostly) are to the history of The British Empire/tropical hunting what our lever actions are to the history of The North American Wild West. If you ever decide to sell your double, you will likely have way better luck if it is in a traditional British cartridge such as the .303. Side by Side style double rifle people (at least the few that I know personally, including my whacky self) are very fickled buyers. (VERY fickled).

2. Regarding the question of why the German flanged cartridges have generally flourished while the similar British ones have faded, my reading up on it indicates a cultural shift in the hunting thing. In the UK, big game hunting and gun ownership in general is not as popular as it once was. In Germany, big game hunting is somewhat popular. Therefore, supply and demand is the answer evidently. Many Germans (many other non British Europeans, Scandinavians, etc. as well) are evidently buying big game rifles and many Brits are not buying them like they used to before WW-II.

In my home State of Alaska for instance, it is semi-common to run into German hunters and fishers at most any bush airport you care to name during the hunting/fishing season. I have yet to bump into anyone with a British accent in same. It is a shame, as our British brothers still make some of the very finest sporting rifles (probably fly rods and reels as well) in a few higher end shops there in The UK.

Cheers.
Ard.

Posts: 68 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to get a foothold in the gunmaking biz, but the set I want to build myself will be a family heirloom down the road. I can appreciate the consideration for resale, but this set won't go that way.

I am settled on the .303.

It's truly sad that England, with such a rich history in hunting and sporting in general has let it dwindle so far. I guess not having a lot of easy access to hunting at home could have something to do with it as well. If you don't do it growing up.....

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
For nostalgs the 303 would seem the best choice...

However there is a lot better bullet selection of .308 diameter bullets.

But I still think the best double rifle calibre under 40 is the 9,3x74R.

Especially since Hornady factory ammo is now avialable.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be making one of those too Big Grin

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bailey Bradshaw:
I am trying to get a foothold in the gunmaking biz, but the set I want to build myself will be a family heirloom down the road. I can appreciate the consideration for resale, but this set won't go that way.

I am settled on the .303.

It's truly sad that England, with such a rich history in hunting and outdoor adventure in general has let it go so far. I guess not having a lot of easy access to hunting at home could have something to do with it as well. If you don't do it growing up.....

Hello Bailey Bradshaw,

Man, I am sorry, I deleted part of your words before I caught myself (in your last sentence), thinking I was editing my own. My mistake. I tried to put them back where they belonged but fear that I might have missed a punctuation mark or some such. Hopefully I won't be blocked from this topic because of my stupid error. If so, oh well, nobody to blame but myself.

Yes, it is a shame, especially when you consider that Scotland has fine stag hunting. Spain and Italy have wild boar and Germany has similar hunting available. There are other places in Europe as well that have pretty good big game and fowling. You can board a plane in London at breakfast and about late supper time be in the very best big game hunting lands on planet Earth...several countries throuout Africa. If I were any sort of European, gun control or not, I would still go hunting, even if it meant having to rent a weapon from my guide. No problem, I'd gladly do that.

Americans are sadly heading down the same groggy road. How many people do you know that would rather go to "the big game" with their sons and daughters instead of hunting big game with them? I do not believe I can name a dozen sports teams in all sports, world wide combined and I cannot tell you who the heavy weight boxing champ is, much less any other weight division. Neither can my sons, I am proud to say. Don't get me started.

Later,
Ard

Posts: 68 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote