THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Using a sling while shooting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using a sling while shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Will using a tight sling while in the sitting position affect the point of impact enough to make a difference compared to just supporting my elbows on the bench?
Rifle is a Chapuis in 9,3x74R.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess not everybody has the same idea as to what a double rifle is for. I don't view them as bolt rifles and don't treat them the same.

The slings on my doubles use detachable swivels - no QD swivels, then no sling. I carry them in a coat pocket or day pack. They're attached when I need both hands free to climb with, or to carry something else for a short distance, then they come back off. I've never hunted with or fired a double rifle with a sling attached, and can't imagine wanting to do so.

My hunch is that a tight sling probably will make some difference in regulation with a double, but I've never tried it.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, seeing my Chapuis sling swivels were held in place with a screw with a super thin screw slot and they would only hold about a 5/8 in wide sling I removed them and just added QD's. Once I get this shooting minute of moose at 100 yards or less I may try a few rounds with a tight sling and see what happens.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
My limited experience is that a sling makes for easier carrying whether on foot or on horseback. IMO, it also improves off-hand shooting. Some hunters worry about it getting hung on brush at an inopportune time, but I have not had that occur, and believe it unlikely if carried appropriately. It is possible that your grouping would vary using the sling vs. a rest. Just have to try it out.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used bolt rifles exclusively for a couple of decades. Always used slings and can't remember ever taking them off. On a double, they just get in my way.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a big believer in using a sling as a shooting aid, for a bolt rifle. If you plan to use one be sure and sight in your rifle while using it. You will probably shoot much lower at a distance when using the sling.

I DO NOT use one when using a double rifle.

Nor do I use one on a bolt rifle, if the sling attaches to the bbl as opposed to the stock.

PS I have seen 400 Nitro hunt with a double rifle... "He don't need no sling to kill pigs"... That is for sure. thumb

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the sling would change the impact on a double rifle..

I don't use slings on any rifle as rule. I carry one in my jacket to use if I am dragging out a buck or whatever...I don't hunt with one, and I don't shoot with one..I grab a rest on a tree or rock, shoot sitting or shoot off hand, and I always have my rifle ready to shoot. not hanging off my shoulder..I'm not recommending this, its just the way I do it based on my own experiences.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote