THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    The NEXT DRSS Hunt January 15 to 18, 2007
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NEXT DRSS Hunt January 15 to 18, 2007
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Right now, if Zimbabwe stays, we have one slot left for the hunt.

Jeff and Keith both said they would camp, but have not stated that they want to attend.

As mentioned previously, camping is not permitted.

After we reach the 30 man mark, people can still attend the get together, they just can't hunt or sleep in the lodge. They can come to socialize and attend the shooting for $50/day.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i'm planning on being there as a day guest.... and bringing a shooting friend also....no dr yet, but santa has yet to arrive....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Please remove me and let someone else have the opportunity. I have kinda misunderstood the reasons for the get togather. I'm really not that much into SHOOTING doubles just hunting with them. I don't handle recoil too well. Thank you for the invitation to be with your group. It is appreciated.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe
You can spend as much time hunting as you like, then socialize in the evening with us.
You can hunt form daylight to dark, even at night [legal for pigs in TX] if you like.
You could take deer and pig meat back to AZ and make some great sausage.
There is never any pressure to shoot more rounds than you want.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Come on ZIMBABWE, NE 450 No2 is right, you can do all the hunting you want, and with 30 guys being there, there will always be someone wanting to hunt, at any given time! I've been sick, and missed the last two, but if I'm alive when this one rolls around, I'll be there!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
I plan on doing lots of hunting... I'm toying with the idea of taking one of those 30"+ scimitar oryxs, and I'll be picky and taking my time to find the right one...

Al

Zim... you don't want to miss this

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My second African friend is a go.
I am going to see if I can get Ian to film the event and maybe we can do a DRSS video.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i sorry i wont be able to attend folks i will be busy so wont be able to attend the next hunt i will try and get to the following one.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Im gonna try to make it as a day guest. I dont have a Double but will have one within the next year! Im still in learning mode.

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just a question here, but in looking at the original post, it listed that whitetail does would be available. I could be wrong on this, so don't jump too far down my throat, but from what I know of the Non-Resident Special 5 Day Hunting License, Type 157, @ $45.00, Whitetails can not be taken under that license, and I think that even applies too whitetails covered by MLD permits. Anyone have any better info on that.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
577 will be off the web for a few days he is on a trip. He can read the posts on his blackberry but cannot respond. He will update everything when he can. I am off the web also I am heading into the back country of Idaho till Sept 2

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Right now, if Zimbabwe stays, we have one slot left for the hunt.

Jeff and Keith both said they would camp, but have not stated that they want to attend.

As mentioned previously, camping is not permitted.

After we reach the 30 man mark, people can still attend the get together, they just can't hunt or sleep in the lodge. They can come to socialize and attend the shooting for $50/day.

at this point, I am sorry to say, I doubt I'll make it up.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I have updated the list.

Tony, that's cool about your other African friend.

How much would it cost for Ian to do a DRSS video? I would be interested in something like that.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, guys, let's start sending deposits to the ranch.

Kindly send $150 to:

4K Ranch & Farm Operations
Attn: Brad Woodard
P.O. BOX 132
Rochelle, TX 76872

On the check, please write "DRSS Hunt - Jan 15 to 18, 2007" so they will know who the deposit is for.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Got cha, will send it monday!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I will get it out asap.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I understand the ranch wants $50 per day to attend but not hunt.

So how much deposit do they want for those who attend but are not hunting.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
I understand the ranch wants $50 per day to attend but not hunt.

So how much deposit do they want for those who attend but are not hunting.

Just send them $50 (one day's pay) as a deposit. This will cover the guys who are coming, but are not hunting, nor sleeping at the lodge.

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you know if the ranch is going to provide additional guides or vehicles for moving people around if they would like to hunt?
Should I speak directly with them about this?
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank:

The ranch is first and foremost dedicated to providing us hunting. They will be able to do whatever we ask of them in regards to hunting.

I don't, however, know what their logistics operation will be like, nor what their plans are. But they plan on accomodating us however we want.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will REALLY be looking forward to this, since hunting season this year is out for me. I tore the hell out of my right knee - tore the MCL completely, tore 60% the PCL and go in Thursday to have the cartalage on the outside removed.

Apparently, it is one hell of an injury per the Doctor.

I wish I could tell you I was engaged in some exotic pursuit at the time, but no. I was walking from room to room when I hit the harwood floor (I was wearing new wool socks) and my right foot went right at a 90 degre angle while the rest of my leg went straight down. Good thing I wasn't chewing gum at the same time.

Now that was some pain! My wife said she never heard such swearing, although I certainly don't recall any profane outburst. Eeker

I should be as good as new by January. If not, who wants to carry me? Big Grin

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy:

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope you are in fighting shape come January.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Well Jim, at least you are in good company. sofa You and Rusty can ride around in a golf cart and shoot pigs. cheers

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
What is the technique for hog hunting at this ranch? i.e. ground blind or tripod on bait? stalking? etc

I may be able to upgrade to a hunting guest. I am waiting for my organization to lock in dates for our convention.

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
I will REALLY be looking forward to this, since hunting season this year is out for me. I tore the hell out of my right knee - tore the MCL completely, tore 60% the PCL and go in Thursday to have the cartalage on the outside removed.

Apparently, it is one hell of an injury per the Doctor.

I wish I could tell you I was engaged in some exotic pursuit at the time, but no. I was walking from room to room when I hit the harwood floor (I was wearing new wool socks) and my right foot went right at a 90 degre angle while the rest of my leg went straight down. Good thing I wasn't chewing gum at the same time.

Now that was some pain! My wife said she never heard such swearing, although I certainly don't recall any profane outburst. Eeker

I should be as good as new by January. If not, who wants to carry me? Big Grin

PAIN?????That ain't the word for it, I've had both mine completely rebuilt from Moto Cross raceing, and it is imposible to tell someone who hasn't been there what it feels like. The healing, swelling, and soreness will take a long time to subside as well.

Maybe some one will bring a Kawasaki Mule down to the ranch for you and Rusty! thumb

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim I am sorry to hear about your injury but glad to hear it is under repair. If we need to I am sure we could rig some sort of travois to tow you around behind the rig. I would be willing to call cooley and ask for their driver to come over and sport you about. You know who I mean.
In the meantime you will have to be content with waching videos and reading about other's hunting escapades.
Mend well,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I know exactly who you are talking about and it hurts just to think of that!

Mac,

I wrecked my left knee playing fotball over 30 years ago. They've come a long way since then -no more leeches. This is what they call a "high velocity injury" that they only typically see with crazy motorcycle riders or severe football injuries. I was lucky on motorcycles - only broke some ribs in my "one".

Thanks for your thougts.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Sorry to hear the news of your knee problems!
Hope everything works out! Getting older is a BITCH! Nothing heals like it did when you were in your thirty's!
Hope to see you in Dallas!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30's damn thats old....im still in my lower 20'2.....jk.......

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Jim,
sure am sorry to hear of your injury,had my right one fixed twice so far,judo is so good on my knees!
I am really looking forward to seeing you in Dallas,so hurry up & get well!

Posts: 115 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Love the avatar - didn't know you were a super hero!

Bal,

Surgery is tomorrow. That and some good Indian food will get me well.

Steve,

You're just a pup. Enjoy your 20's (you certainly seem to be), because one day you're going to wake up and wonder who the old fart in the mirror is.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the surgery Jim. thumb

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the technique for hog hunting at this ranch? i.e. ground blind or tripod on bait? stalking? etc

Anyone? I have never paid to hunt hog. Just wondering how they conduct the hunt in TX.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
577NE
Check has been sent. Will they send us a confirmation or anything.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brain:

I do not know if they send you a confirmation or anything. But if you paid by check, your cancelled check can legally act as receipt and show that the ranch took your money.

Miss:

We usually stalk for hogs, but the ranch may have blinds to hunt them over feeders. I personally enjoy stalking/driving them with other DR guys. In the past, it has served us well.

Also, if the ranch allows, we can hunt at night via spotlight. A number of guys got hogs this way during the last trip.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone:

I'm doing this in caps and in bold to make sure I catch everyone's attention:

PLEASE HAVE YOUR DEPOSIT SENT TO THE RANCH NO LATER THAN NOVEMBER 1, 2006 !!!!!!!!!! I just got this note, so if you are planning on attending, please get your deposits in soon.

Thanks!

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
30's damn thats old....im still in my lower 20'2.....jk.......

jumping

700 he didn't say in the "30s" he said 30 yrs ago! Hell, 30 yrs ago was only 1976. By 1976 I had been married 22 years, and had four kids! My oldest being 50 yrs old last June 7th, and the youngest 43 yrs old Sept 23 this year! Wink

How come your not coming down for the hunt in Jan?

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:

PLEASE HAVE YOUR DEPOSIT SENT TO THE RANCH NO LATER THAN NOVEMBER 1, 2006 !!!!!!!!!! I just got this note, so if you are planning on attending, please get your deposits in soon.

Thanks!

Damn, I for got! I was going to send it last Monday! I'll write it now while I'm thinking about it!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
i cant make the january hunt because im going to alberta and a 64 day work contract with some mining companies

they are short on machinist and for the very larg sum they are offering me plus 50% of my living expencis payed your dam stright im going.

put it this way i can buy 2-3 searcy rifles with the money i will make in that short time.

the only thing is the days are 14 hours long and your on call 24/7 and can be forced to work 30 hours stright.

one of us
posted Hide Post
wait a minutes i will be back befor......ill double check me shedule tomorro.