THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    The NEXT DRSS Hunt January 15 to 18, 2007
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NEXT DRSS Hunt January 15 to 18, 2007
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
700 from your last posts it appears you have been up for 30 straight.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
i cant make the january hunt because im going to alberta and a 64 day work contract with some mining companies

they are short on machinist and for the very larg sum they are offering me plus 50% of my living expencis payed your dam stright im going.

put it this way i can buy 2-3 searcy rifles with the money i will make in that short time.

the only thing is the days are 14 hours long and your on call 24/7 and can be forced to work 30 hours stright.

I see your point! I'd be there with bells on, myself. Still if you can make it, we'll see you there. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
brain 1 your close when i made that post i would have been up 22 hours.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
We usually stalk for hogs

Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the reply!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Will the ranch allow us to bring a pair of Polaris Rangers with high racks on them? That will get Jim and Rusty around... I even have a small trailer I built that should hold about 5 or 6 200 pounders if we get lucky...

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is anybody from the east driving out to the shoot ? i'd like to attend but can't do it myself. tom ondrus

crownpress@alltel.net

home 814 774 5739 near erie , pa

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
I will fly up and get you in exchange for the Searcy 577! Big Grin

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would like to make the shoot - i can fly to anywhere into texas to connect with a ride !

any helpers ?? tom ondrus crownpress@alltel.net

tel 814 774 5739

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

I have been conversing with Tomo577 over the past two weeks. He is very much interested in attending the next DRSS get together as a day visitor. (Not staying at the lodge nor hunting.)

Due to his medical condition, he can't get around much these days, but that hasn't assuaged his passion for double rifles, nor his enjoyment of being in the company of like minded gentlemen who also share his interests.

Tom is capable of getting to Dallas, but driving the four hours to the lodge would be an issue for him. He is looking for someone who is planning on coming to the hunt to drive with. He would obviously share in the cost of the rental car and fuel.

Does anyone out there think they might be able to give Tom a ride to camp and back to Dallas afterwards? Once in camp there will be plenty of us going back to the motel everyday, so that shouldn't be an issue.

If there are any good hearted gentlemen out there who might be able to lend a hand, let's hear from you.

Tom, my father arrives into DFW on Saturday, January 13 and attending the DSC convention. He is picking up a rental car. I arrive into DFW on Sunday, January 14 in the evening. We haven't decided what time we are heading to the ranch yet on Monday, but I'm hoping to get there early to get some hunting in.

Both my father and I leave on Wednesday, January 17 in the morning to drive back to DFW for our flights home. We are leaving a day early. If this works for you, you are more than welcome to ride with us. However, please note that I have a young child at home and, God forbid, if anything were to happen while I'm away, I am jumping the the car and heading home right away.

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I can handle that as long as I am still in Dallas come January.

I live about 20 minutes from DFW. I plan on joining the "caravan" down and staying until the last day.

As long as Tom doesn't mind riding in a Ford F 250 Diesel. Hopefully, he is not a chevy man!

Tom, PM me and we can exchange numbers. I'll need your flight information prior to your arrival - DFW is so large that they have a number you call just before arrival to tell you the arrival terminal for the flight. And if you want to ship a rifle or two ahead of time, I can put them in my safe at home, protected by alarm system, cameras and two large English Mastiffs!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim:

Thank you for the offer!

I will try to get intouch with Tom and direct him to this thread.

Paul

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
It appears I might be in Mickey Mouse land for the S.H.O.T. show on assignment for African Hunter Magazine during the DSC convention. The details have not be worked out just yet and I will let you know as soon as I know so the next guy in line can move up a notch.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Perry, get them to change your assignment, to cover DSC instead of the SHOT Show. cheers You could also report on the worlds largest DR gathering/shoot/hunt.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hog killer - how many attendees do you expect ?
it may really be the biggest dr gathering..... but it is in competition with the big bore rifle club of australia !

the lads from down under have a large following - h&h even participates in some of their events. and supplies trophies etc.

they came to the vintagers shoot 2 yrs ago i think it was and CLEANED everybody's clock and went home with all the trophies !

but it will be fun to meet everyone - i am doing my darndest to make it . cheers, tom

TOMO577

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Tom, I will probably not be at this shoot this time. I slipped into the Camp Cooly get together, for a day of fellowship.(great day)

As for this event, 30 shooter/hunters is the max the ranch can deal with. I would not be surpised if 45+ DRs show up.

As of right now, I can only be placed amoung those who dream of their own DR.

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry, A "free lancer", eay? There's a Rock Hudson joke in there somewhere....

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer,
Sorry to hear that you will not be making the next hunt! Who knows, maybe things will change! If not, hope to see you at DSC!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Doc, I will be at DSC for three days. To bad they do not have an indoor range at DSC. That would make for some interesting spectating. A real put up or shut up event among the mighty bwanas. jumping Big bores only DRs, bolt trash(CRF) of course. The PF guys would have to shoot with one foot in a coffin. hammering

Hog Killer

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Tom, I will probably not be at this shoot this time. I slipped into the Camp Cooly get together, for a day of fellowship.(great day)

As for this event, 30 shooter/hunters is the max the ranch can deal with. I would not be surpised if 45+ DRs show up.

As of right now, I can only be placed amoung those who dream of their own DR.

Hog Killer

Hey Keith, if you want to make that hunt, you can use one of my double rifles! You like big bores, how about a 470NE Merkel Safari, and I've some ammo for it too! Just say the word buddy!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Mac, PM sent.

Hog Killer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, Kids!

Let's get those deposits to the Ranch PRONTO!

Also, starting November 1, 2006, I am going to move this thread to a Private Message for everyone interested in joining us. In this thread we will work out more of the details about the hunt, including food, drinks, pre-departure meetings from Dallas to caravan to the ranch together, a get together the Sunday before the hunt in Dallas if we want, etc., etc., etc.

I will start the PM on November 1 (or there abouts) and invite everyone on the following list:

Guaranteed a bed in the lodge:

1. 577NitroExpress
2. Doc52
3. NE450No2
4. new_guy
5. Ian - NE450No2's African Friend
6. NE450No2's African Friend #2
7. MacD37
8. Jim Manion
9. JudgeG
10. CFA
11. 400 Nitro Express
12. 470CapstickA2
13. Rusty
14. Bill74
15. 470Evans (formerly "gal")
16. PWN375
17. ROSCOE
18. David Guitar (Rusty's Friend)
19. new_guy's friend
20. Frank Martinez

People who have to find alternate sleeping arrangements. (You can bring a sleeping bag/blow up mattress and sleep in the lodge, or stay at a local motel).

21. bobc
22. David Boyles (400 Nitro's Friend)
23. mstarling
24. 505ED
25. Brain1
26. Crazyhorseconsulting
27. Brain1's Gunsmith
28. Palmer

People who will only be attending for a day to shoot:

31. jimatcat
32. jimatcat + 1
33. Mississippian
34. Tomo577

Needless to say if your "friend" that you are brining doesn't have an AR screen name, they won't get invited. Please be sure to pass any information on to them that is important. Ifnot, tell them to register on AR!

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll get my deposit in this week. And move me into the group with accomodations when you have a cancellation. Thanks, Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bobc:

Absolutely. I have been keeping track of all changes to the attendee list. One person already dropped out that moved Frank into the lodge.

I will continue to be judicious in my attention to the attendee list.

I look forward to seeing everyone again this coming January!

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, Guys, thanks for all of your interest in participating in the next DRSS hunt/shoot.

After speaking with the Ranch, I have decided to cut off the number of attendees for hunting at the list as it is on the first page, first post in this thread.

The ranch wants to ensure that each hunter gets their proper attention and chance at game; any more hunters, the ranch fears, will take away from their ability to handle everyone properly.

If, however, people still want to come to shoot, if you ask very nice and bring some single malt scotch for all of the grey beards in camp, we may be able to accomodate you.

For those of you guys on the attendee list, whether it be for hunting or just a day shooter, I will be starting a PM thread within the next two weeks so we can start hammering out more logistics.

Stay tuned.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Those of us stepchildren who will be left out in the cold, or a hotel/motel, should get together and book our rooms at the same facility if possible. That way I won't get lost.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys:

Please make sure you get the deposits off to the ranch, please. They would like the deposits by November 1, 2006.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all of the "stepchildren" who are not staying in the ranch, the Best Western Brady Inn seems like the best bet for the group.

bobc has actually stayed at this motel before should you have any questions.

Here is a link to the hotel:

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?...isablenav=false#null

One of you guys should take the lead, call the motel and see if they can give you a group discount.

(Remember, this is only for sleeping; everyone can socialize at the ranch all day and as late as you want (or the ranch allows)).

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm on a first name basis with all the roaches. I can arrange an introduction. Just kidding, a plain , clean west texas motel. It'll be fine. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
577nitro, PM sent

one of us
posted Hide Post
it may be a last minute thing but i still may be able to attend im not shure at this time but as it gets closer i will know i will be back from my contract by then.

heres hopin.

i got a 45/70 barrel for my encore i can bring two.......... Roll Eyes

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BEST WESTERN MOTEL - BRADY TEXAS

after trying to get a group rate for the drss i found the lowest price was when you book on-line

use the link in this forum to book.

single room rates are lowest for aaa, aarp and corporate - about $49.56 plus 13 % tax

TOMO577

one of us
posted Hide Post
Posted Nov 11, 11:15 PM
DRSS Shooters, I have been putting this off as long as possible hoping my politicking will pay off but I have gotten the final decisions which force me to withdraw from attending the next DRSS hunt. I am still trying to make the DSC but that may also be in jeopardy.
I took a new job when I returned from Dallas and have recently been involved in developing a building plan for the local community college. My plans were for that to begin in April or May but the powers to be have dictated that I have the first full remodel finished by the 20th of January and I just can't see myself being gone during the final construction phase of the project. I don't mind really but my subs and craftsmen will surely screw me to the post if I am not there.
I think it best that I withdraw and give my bed up now to one of the others in line. If it turns out I can indeed get away for DSC and a little extra time I will come out for a day at least for shooting.
I hope this doesn't foul up your well directed plans. Worst of all is missing out on the get together.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Amazing that an annoying thing like your job gets in the way.

Congratulations on the job. You will be missed.

Jim

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new job Frank!

I do hope that you manage to make it over.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote