THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    The NEXT DRSS Hunt January 15 to 18, 2007
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NEXT DRSS Hunt January 15 to 18, 2007
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
To All Interested Parties:

The DRSS has planned its next hunt/shoot for the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (January 15 to 18, 2007) immediately following the annual DSC convention.

Anyone who owns/has a double rifle, or anyone who has an interest in double rifles is invited to attend.

Below is the offer the DRSS received from the ranch where we will be hunting. We have already booked the entire lodge (all 20 beds) with DRSS members, but there is a Best Western Hotel located approximately 10 miles from the ranch that is the official "over flow" for sleeping arrangements.

Here is the offer:

4K Ranch & Farm Operations
Attn: Brad Woodard
P.O. BOX 132
Rochelle, TX 76872

Dates: Monday, January 15 (noon) to Thursday, January 18 (noon), 2007. (This is immediately following the DSC convention.)

The ranch is over 100K+ acre located in Brady, TX.

The Lodge can sleep 20 people. WE WILL HAVE A MAXIMUM OF 30 GUYS WHO ARE COMING TO HUNT PER THE RANCH.

Local motel is 8 to 10 miles (of paved road) from the Lodge. The Best Western Motel (http://www.bestwesterntexas.com/hotels/brady/bradyinn/) in Brady has rates of approximately $50/night.

The fee for coming to the hunt/shoot WITH LODGING is $300.00.

For people who come and hunt/shoot, but stay at the motel, THE PRICE IS STILL $300 for the time we are there. The ranch is charging us for the hunting, and giving us lodging for free.

If guys want to come get together and only spend the day/attend the shooting session AND NOT HUNT, the cost will be $50/day. (If you plan on attending and will be sleeping in the lodge, you still pay the full $300.)

There is not a camping option.

$50 per hog (all you want)

$200 for whitetail doe

(The ranch's TP&W management participation allows us to hunt whitetail does after the close of "normal" season.)

Texas Hunting License is required. For out of state hunters, the five day license is $50 and available online.

We will bring our own food and drinks. One person in the group (preferably a local) will take the lead on groceries and we will all share in the cost of this. Plan to contribute $50.00 (+/-) for this. As we get closer to the date of the hunt, more information will follow.

We each are responsible for providing our own hard liquor.

Additional animals are available to us for an additional fee:

$250 for Axis doe
$200 for Blackbuck doe
$1500 for scimitar horned oryx <30" horns
$2000 for scimitar horned oryx >30" horns
$1500 for Axis buck < 30" horns
$1800 for Axis buck > 30" horns
$1500 for Blackbuck > 18" horns
$1300 for Blackbuck < 18" horns

Below is the current list of people planning on attending this next hunt/shoot. In order to keep this fair, we record names of people who want to attend this hunt in chronological order. Should someone higher on the list decide at a later point that they cannot attend, everyone moves up on the list. The top 20 guys are GUARANTEED a bed in the lodge. Everyone else has to find alternate sleeping arrangements.

Please note that if you do not get a bed in the lodge, you still are part of the group and can participate in everything we do. You will eat with us, hang out in the lodge, hunt with us and shoot with us. The only difference is that there will not be a bed for you in the lodge.

Below is the current attendee list. As people respond to this thread, I will add their names to this master list. I will try my best to update this list everyday.

After a period of time, I will start a new private message discussion with everyone attending so we can do further coordination.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS LIST BELOW IS THE MASTER LIST. ANYOTHER LIST IN ANYOTHER THREAD IS NOT MONITORED AND UPDATED AS OFTEN AS THIS LIST.
Guaranteed a bed in the lodge:

1. 577NitroExpress
2. Doc52
3. NE450No2
4. new_guy
5. Ian - NE450No2's African Friend
6. NE450No2's African Friend #2
7. MacD37
8. Jim Manion
9. JudgeG
10. CFA
11. 400 Nitro Express
12. 470CapstickA2
13. Rusty
14. Bill74
15. 470Evans (formerly "gal")
16. PWN375
17. ROSCOE
18. David Guitar (Rusty's Friend)
19. new_guy's friend
20. Frank Martinez

People who have to find alternate sleeping arrangements. (You can bring a sleeping bag/blow up mattress and sleep in the lodge, or stay at a local motel).

21. bobc
22. David Boyles (400 Nitro's Friend)
23. mstarling
24. 505ED
25. Brain1
26. Crazyhorseconsulting
27. Brain1's Gunsmith
28. Palmer
29. Tomo577
30. Mississippian
31. Tomo577 Guest

People who will only be attending for a day to shoot:

32. jimatcat
33. jimatcat Guest

As mentioned earlier, we can only have a maximum of 30 guys attend this hunt. Due to logisitics and other reasons, the ranch doesn't want more guys than that.

HOWEVER, if a person only wants to come for the day, AND NOT HUNT NOR STAY AT THE LODGE, the ranch will charge you $50/day. (This is for guys who only want to come for the socializing and shooting.)

PLEASE NOTE - At this point, we WILL NOT send in any deposits. We will do this sometime in the near future. More information to follow.

For the attendees, please make sure you bring your sense of humor and your gentlemanly conduct. We do a lot of shooting over this hunt/shoot so please make sure you bring enough ammo to let others shoot your rifle(s). Allowing others the opportunity to handle and shoot different DRs is one of the things these get togethers is all about.

Photos:

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Is the hunt at the Brady near Brownwood Tx or the Brady near Nacodoches Tx?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Brownwood. It's West of Waco and East of San Angelo.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brownwood, Texas

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
How does one go about signing up to participate? Are there any caliber restrictions?

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lol caliber restritions........haha there is no such thing.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Is the hunt at the Brady near Brownwood Tx or the Brady near Nacodoches Tx?

I was born, and lived in Texas most of my life, and I've never heard of any other Brady than the one South of Brownwood, and it is the only one on the Texas road map! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does one go about signing up to participate? Are there any caliber restrictions?

Zimbabwe:

The only thing you have to do is post on here that you want to attend and I will put you on the list.

After awhile I will start a private message thread and invite everyone who wanted to come. At that point we will finalize the hunt/shoot and work out all of the logistics.

The DRSS does not take any money from people, and you send your deposit directly to the ranch. If you back out, it's no problem - I'll delete you from the master list. But you MAY loose your deposit if you have already sent it to the ranch.

There are no caliber restrictions.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was born, and lived in Texas most of my life, and I've never heard of any other Brady than the one South of Brownwood, and it is the only one on the Texas road map!

Hell Mac maybe it ain't there anymore. Anyway I suspect you are right about it not being on a roadmap.

There used to be one in Shelby co. about 25 miles east of Nacodoches and southwest of Center - more or less straight south of Jerico.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Please add me to the list, I would like to participate. Assuming good weather it should be an easy drive down I10.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Yep no restriction on the caliber of gun, or even the caliber of people rotflmo hammering

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is Rochelle from Dallas - driving time & miles. Thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
It is about 10 miles NE of Brady.

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
Where is Rochelle from Dallas - driving time & miles. Thanks.

Google Maps says Rochelle is 215 miles from Dallas and estimates 4 hrs 15 min of driving time. Brady is a pretty place, but it is kinda hard to get there by accident.

This would be a really fun trip. I need to find a double rifle on the cheap.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try to get there this time!

Interested in any local facilities for the cooling/freezing of meat.

Looks like the local hotel ... so will need info on the "non-resident" costs.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to mapquest.com and from DFW airport to Brady, they estimated 200 miles and a hair under four hours of driving time.

Forrest, you do not need to own or even bring a DR to this event. Although most of the guys who are already planning on attending have one, you will not feel awkward by not having one.

One thing great about a DRSS hunt is this is probably the only place in the US where a person can see, hold and shoot many different types of DRs in one place.

The master attendee list has been updated.

The Best Western in Brady has rate for about $50/night. I do not know of meat processing right now, but will get that info for the group.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Brady, situated in the heart of the Texas hill county deer hunt region, should have a bunch of meat processing businesses!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
How much to camp? Seriously.. I can bring a tent, and camping in Texas aint all that bad.

Jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I can attend. I'll come over for the day. I grew up close to there. Give me a good reason to visit my mom and dad and hunt quail with my big brother and nephew.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
whats the phone number for the 4 k ranch.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I would also be interrested in the camping option.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Count me in. I would be honored to be allowed to attend this event with the rest of you guys. I will even bring something that thumps.
Brain1

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Dittos on Hog Killers option.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
700 nitro PROMISED me he was hunting with a spear.

The lot that is wanting to camp out worries me. Cool

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ill hunt with a spear and im not joking.....if any one has some hog dogs that would be great.....

im shure i could find some people for hire and we could all split the rate.

so far toney jim and myself show interest in hunting hogs with spears.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Please no sharp objects around Jim!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:

Just use a knife -- it will be safer for the dogs.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
we need dogs first.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
ill hunt with a spear and im not joking.....if any one has some hog dogs that would be great.....

im shure i could find some people for hire and we could all split the rate.

I think we're going to have to re-name the DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTER'S SOCIETY, to ANYTHING YOU WANT SOCIETY!
Confused Confused Confused Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ill make it a double headed spear.......dose that count.....

i prefer bolt actions any ways.......oooops did i say that out loud.

you should bring your 550 or one of your huge bolt actions i shure they boys would like to see em including my self.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I am interested in attending and I would also be interested in the camping aspect. I will keep watching this thread and see if I can work things out.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

Please see the initial post in this thread. I have updated it with more information.

Camping will NOT be an option for this hunt. Also, please take careful note of the costs that I have updated.

577NitroExpress

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Dates: Monday, January 15 (noon) to Wednesday, January 17 (noon), 2007. (This is immediately following the DSC convention.)

The ranch is over 100K+ acre located in Brady, TX.

The Lodge can sleep 20 people (I will have photos forthcoming.)

Local motel is 8 to 10 miles (of paved road) from the Lodge. The Best Western Motel (http://www.bestwesterntexas.com/hotels/brady/bradyinn/) in Brady has rates of approximately $50/night.

The fee for coming to the hunt/shoot WITH LODGING is $300.00.

bewildered
three days is 72 hours, right?

Monday Noon to Wednesday Noon is 48 hours....

or 1/2 day hunt, 1 day hunt, 1/2 hunt ....

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe:

These get togethers are not focused on hunting. If you are looking for a purely hunting trip, this might not be a trip for you.

We will probably hunt for a few hours on Monday and a few hours on Tuesday and spend the rest of the time socializing and shooting. But an exact itinerary will be decided by the group while in camp, just like every other time.

577NitroExpress

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Paul,
heh.. i do one of these hunts once a year, and understand that hunting isn't it...

but I was just commenting that on most exotic ranches this is a 2 day 2 night hunt, according to the bill.

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. This is going to be fun.
I like the pit out back which will be great for the bitter cold sundowners time.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Damn nice place! this is going to be FUN!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Since you are restricted to 30 participants and the fee is same for off ranch lodging please remove me from the list to make room for someone else.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Show me as Brain1 plus 1. My gunsmith wants to attend also.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe:

Before I officially remove you, if you were to bring an air mattress, you could sleep in the lodge/bunk house for the same price and not have to pay extra for a motel room.

If you still want to be removed, please post another message stating such and I will remove you officially from the roster.

577NitroExpress