THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Good reasons to buy a Searcy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good reasons to buy a Searcy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
As many of you folks know, I've had several Searcy doubles, starting before there was even a P.H. model. Let me relate to you why I continue to buy them:

1. Service..
I received my new gun about a month ago and discovered two problems with it (which might not have been problems to any other shooter, btw.) First, the gun shot way too high for me. I must be different than anyone else, but when I shoot express sights, most everyone's irons are 6" or so too high at 50 yards. Secondly, the right trigger was a bit heavier than I like. I called Butch and he said, "Send it back". He fixed it immediately and in a week I had a gun with about 4lbs on the right trigger and 5 on the left, just what I like. Butch made a new rear express sight and the results at fifty yards are in the below picture.

2. Communication
With a Searcy, communication with the actual guy building the rifle is just a telephone call away. When I ordered the rifle (a .450 N.E.), Hornady hadn't started making DGS and DGX ammo in the caliber. I learned of their plans and just called Butch. He already had some of their prototype ammo and said he though it'd be a winner. A year later, you see the regulation results with factory ammo I bought from MidwayUSA. A foreign company perhaps could have changed horses in mid-stream, but not so easily as a phone call. And if you have a special load to which you want the gun regulated, if it's safe pressure wise, Butch will do it. Try that overseas.

3. Accuracy...
Searcy's are known for the same and I've got one that I'd put up against any double anywhere. In fact, all my Searcy's have been 2" or better guns at 50 yards and better than I can hold at 100. The target below tells the story. I shot two clay pigeons at 100 yards today, too, right and left, but I didn't think to take pictures of the orange and black pieces. Big Grin

4. Re-sale
Even in this bad economy, I've been able to sell every Searcy that I've had for what I paid for it. Of course, I only paid about $7.1K for the first, but the last one I sold was $13K (the original price) and I'd taken it to Africa twice. Butch cleaned up some hunting dings for me and made it look as good as new. I'd hate to try to send a double back to Europe for rehab and expect to get it back in two weeks as I did with mine from Searcy.

5. Custom details...
Again, communications are easy. I like a bigger than usual white bead front sight and I like my rear express with a white line guide in the center. I called and told Butch what I wanted and even sent him a picture from the NECG website as to what I wanted... He made it happen. Perfectly!

6. Wood selection...
Butch sent me pictures of stock blanks available for the Classic model and I got to choose the one I wanted. Cool!

7. And finally....
I get to deal with a crotchity old fart that is as strange and opinionated as me!

Thanks Butch for a great rifle. May it slay several elephants for me before I break down and order another!

BTW, I did add the little rubber finger protector from NEGC on the trigger guard. I shot the gun 20 times today and didn't get my usual sore middle finger! Money well spent.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
7. And finally.... I get to deal with a crotchity old fart that is as strange and opinionated as me!

is this possible?? Big Grin

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
8. Its made in America.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Judge....looks like mine!...shoots like it too. Mr. Searcy does make a fine double. That's why I bought a 375 FL to go with my 450 NE. Of course the 375 wears a QD scope.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garby,

I'd like to do the same. I have a .450 NE Field Grade on order and would like to get a .375 flanged with the Talley rings fitted to the rib the way Butch does it. Now that the Field Grade has been discontinued, I don't know if I'll ever be able to come up with the price of a Classic though they sure are nice. Of course, I lust after the sidelocks. I might have to stick with my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Searcy 450 and have been thrilled with it. Took buffalo, warthog, and zebra in Tanzania and plan to take it to SA for a quick hunt in April. Bwana_Dave, you might find that the 450 shoots so well you might never miss not getting another. Butch makes great rifles.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I forgot to tell you at SCI; we promoted you to curmudgeon.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Searcy 450-400. Butch knew all about the history of the rifle when I talked with him at the SCI Convention. He was so personable and told me that if I have any problems or questions to give him a call. It's one beautiful rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the 400 Classic too and spend way too much time looking at it and fantasizing about using it.

A lot of what would cause me to want an old British double I'm seeing in owning a Searcy. There're others out there I couldn't feel that way about. The name, the quality and its origins are important but there's just something about being able to say "how would you like to see a really high grade custom built gun".

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree that Butch is a NO BS guy when it comes to fixing his rifles he stands by his products. No doubt about it. But that Crochity old bastard has me on a different time line for repairs than you guys. I guess I ain't mean and nasty enough to put a fire under his ass like The judge probably is. Wink

I've owned two Searcy rifles both .470's and both of them have been bench rest accurate. The one I've got now puts both barrels just about .5" apart at 50 yards and at 100 will put them all into a nice little 3" cluster.

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I have to wait untill April for my 470.

This make the wait harder but writing the check easier. dancing

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave...I personally feel that the 375 Fl with the scope and the 450 NE are the perfect combination for a double nut. Now I just need to get "stimulated" by the economy so I can re-book that elephant hunt!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Dave...I personally feel that the 375 Fl with the scope and the 450 NE are the perfect combination for a double nut. Now I just need to get "stimulated" by the economy so I can re-book that elephant hunt!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Biebs and I are sneaking away on a "management" hunt. No exportable, but you'll never find a cheaper year for one (or a tuskless). P.M. sent as to details.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge
You invited Biebs on your hunt but the old fart did not invite you on our Jumbo hunt. Nice guy Biebs. Judge You wanna go. May 4.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's already booked later in the season. Plus, I'd be embarrassed to invite anyone on a hunt with YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree completely. Now, to find the "stimulus funds". Maybe if I call Ben Bernanke and tell him that I am "too big to fail". I have gotten bigger around as I have gotten older. I promise to buy an American made double rifle.

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear Barney Frank is prone to give out loans...at low interest...for "needie" folks....and there is NOTHING like the need for another double!!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Judge G,
I couldn't say it any better! Butch is the Best!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was said about the quality of build and the access to the builder, plus One!

Butch is really a neat guy, and he makes really high quality DR's at a working man's price.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Continent:
I have heard from folks that there are a fair number of owners, who from experience, feel that Searcy doubles are not that great at all.

There are quite a number of owners who have bought Searcy doubles that were loose and off-face upon delivery, poorly regulated and inaccurate, and so forth and feel that they have been screwed by the All American Double Rifle Manufacturer. I hope that you all fare better than the folks I have spoken with.

Sad to say, but you are not alone in hearing such reports. Frowner

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have heard from folks that there are a fair number of owners, who from experience, feel that Searcy doubles are not that great at all.

There are quite a number of owners who have bought Searcy doubles that were loose and off-face upon delivery, poorly regulated and inaccurate, and so forth and feel that they have been screwed by the All American Double Rifle Manufacturer. I hope that you all fare better than the folks I have spoken with.

Alex,
Just curious what kind brand of Double you prefer?

quote:
I am a new guy who just stumbled on this site and I am glad I did.

I hope to take my first trip to either South Africa or Namibia next year for kudu, zebra, impala, warthog, and the like.

Merry Christmas,
Alex

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny, but I have not heard those stories. New or used rifles?

I don't suppose you have any sort of evidence to support a pretty blanket indictment like that? IMHO, this is about equivalent to asking someone "have you stopped beating your wife?".

Could you maybe get one or more of those folks who "have been screwed..." to post here? I would love to hear one of these first hand.

No offense, but this is how rumors spread: "...my next door neighbor's wife's hairdresser's newspaper boy's dad was having an affair with one of the ladies down the street, and one day she told him that when she was standing in the checkout line at the hardware store one of the men in front of her was telling the clerk "I heard some guy bought a Searcy and had problems with it. I'd never buy one of them..." they just have a lot of issues...".

Know what I mean?

Get one of them to come on here and tell all of us what actually did happen.

regards,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear from them myself. Everyone knows my policy as taking care of the customer.
The only guys that have slandered me is PH's that thought I should fly over and fix or replace there rifles. And as you all know I can't fix it if it doesn't get to me.
In fact Terry Wieland relates a story about a PH in his second edtion about the problems Clive Eaton had with one of my rifles. The thing that he left out was that he had a South African work on it first, and left out the fact that I replaced the rifle at no cost to him. Clive came by my booth this year to tell me how happy he was with his rifle now. More to this story will be coming soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
I'd like to hear from them myself. Everyone knows my policy as taking care of the customer.
The only guys that have slandered me is PH's that thought I should fly over and fix or replace there rifles. And as you all know I can't fix it if it doesn't get to me.
In fact Terry Wieland relates a story about a PH in his second edtion about the problems Clive Eaton had with one of my rifles. The thing that he left out was that he had a South African work on it first, and left out the fact that I replaced the rifle at no cost to him. Clive came by my booth this year to tell me how happy he was with his rifle now. More to this story will be coming soon.

Common Butch, if you had given that gun whore Wieland a gun like he wanted you to he wouldn't have mentioned that in his book.

Also I couldn't help but notice now that California Rigby wants him to pay up for the gun they sold/loaned him he's pimping for the real (to be) London Rigby in the January edition of Rifle.

He's just a typical (in my opinion) gun writer who's for sale. They have a different name for girls like that Wink

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy crap! Here goes the "AR heresay and alleged BS O-meter" off the scale again!

I know Butch, don't own one of his rifles....Lots of buddies do...All like them.

Unless somebody wants to post up "PROOF" (that is, you own a Searcy and have had unsatisfactory service) of any of Sercy's "alleged" misdoings, then Kindly take your "agenda" elsewhere.

Sorry fellas, just getting tired of people on this forum mouthing-off without any sound basis for their claims...

Keep-up the good work Butch!!!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I just posted what I was told by a couple of people. Are they on this site or know that it exists, I don't know. Is it true what I was told, I don't know that for fact either. I am deleting the original comment and I wish everyone the best with their rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DC,

thank you! If you ever get the chance to visit with Butch, you will walk away knowing who to buy a good DR from.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DC
It sounds to me that information given you was second hand rumor / hyperbole. Like most rumors, once some b.s. gets started, a few folks will in time believe the rumor to be fact. It would be far more accurate to obtain information from actual Searcy owners regarding Searcy quality. I have owned a Searcy double since 2006 and the build quality is excellent and accuracy of mine has been outstanding.

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The quality, accuracy and dependability of Butch's guns, cannot be found on other guns in the same catagory.

Adding the personal backing of his product and the nature of the regulation and specific loads for doubles, Butch's guns give many of us a quality affordable double rifles that would not be available at this price range.

The nay sayers are talking with out personable knowledge or experience and may have an agenda as a competitor.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys, I just posted what I was told by a couple of people. Are they on this site or know that it exists, I don't know. Is it true what I was told, I don't know that for fact either. I am deleting the original comment and I wish everyone the best with their rifles.

Way to "Man-up" DC thumb

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dark Continent,

I have saved up for a long time for a nice double rifle. After a lot of checking, I ordered a Searcy last October. I expect that I will get the excellent service from the rifle that these actual Searcy owners, not rumormongers, have described.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was advised in a PM to "rethink' my above post.

I've made a decision that I stand by. I bought other

than Searcy.

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have with my Searcy, in my particular situation, is the turmoil of purchasing another or using those funds to hunt and use my 450 to it's potential.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vote with your pocketbook...

My Searcy is on a UPS truck, somewhere west of Mesquite, Texas. Scenic route to Idaho I expect.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a Searcy owner. Bought my 2006 LH 470 barely used, here on AR. Some of you might remember that I was having problems with it crossing. The prior owner swore that it shot great for him, so it might be that I just don't move on recoil, as much as most people. Regardless, I called Butch and he said:"Don't panic Dave...Send it to me, and I'll fix it". I packed it up and sent it to Boron, California...fully expecting to pay for re-regulation, as I am not the original owner. I got the gun back, and it has shot perfectly(+400 rounds now) with Butch's regulation load (Same load as Muletrain's LH Searcy 470). To my suprise, I only paid shipping.

Butch Searcy is a top notch man...builds great quality, beautiful doubles...and stands behind his work like NOBODY else!!!

Thanks Butch!
I'll stand with you anytime. thumb
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great to hear such good reports about an American manufacturer and business man. Customer service from US companies can sometimes be a problem & great to hear that Searcy seems to be like Leupold in that regards!

May be I should look at a Searcy as my first DR instead of a mint Wilm Evans 450 3.25" (Webley action). I guess I could get 2 Searcys for the price of the Evans!

I know some Aussie guys have been asking about a local dealership.....

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1- There is a gunmaker that has been recommended COUNTLESS

times by a significant number of active posters on the double rifle

forum on this web site. He is touted throughout the land for his

double rifle expertise. Many frequent posters here have stated that

they've used him one or more times personally. When I was consider-

ing going with a new rifle as my own choice as well as considering

buying an older rifle built outside the USA I asked for his guidance.

He made very clear statements to me about what he felt would be wise

on my part and what would NOT BE WISE. In my line of work he would

unquestionably qualify as an EXPERT WITNESS on the subject of double

rifles. Part of HIS work includes sizing up D/R's for potential buyers.

He also does all manner of repairs and refinishing work. I believe

darn near all of you know who I'm referring to.

2- There is a regular poster on this site who is unanimously respected

regarding his D/R knowledge. He has been quoted, hailed, referenced,

etc. time after time. He posts info that others who know him personally

have sworn he holds entirely in his memory. The details and justifications

that he presents clearly deserve to be a book of their own. He has repeat-

edly made clear his opinion on a number of brands of modern D/R's as well

as older D/R's. Again, I believe darn near all of you know who I'm refer-

ring to.

3- I have spoken to D/R owners who have made clear to me their experiences

with D/R's made by various men/firms. Some of them still in production,

some not. I found NO REASONS to doubt them.

4- When I put all the data together I made a series of decisions about

which names should be in the mix and which should be excluded. I am con-

fident in my investigative efforts. The guys under my supervision located

and "processed" a person within the last 50 days that created a huge "STINK"

up here by doing what he {stupidly} did. Getting him was the result of an

investigative operation directed by me. I am pretty good at gathering facts.

I stand by my position regarding this thread.

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Mr A. Nonymous...an unimpeachable source this fellow.

2. the same gentleman as number one, quite active here.

3. this same gentleman, and some of his family the Nonymous's. Well known in these parts. Unfortunately the family members are too shy to post here; so have others post for them.

4. Can you explain this in English?

Judge G has also conducted an exhaustive investigation here and other places, most notably in Africa for Dangerous Game over the past four decades with a remarkable uniformity of findings. Many others have followed the same lines of investigation with near identical results.

The Court of Last Resort finds:

1. In close quarters the Double Rifle is far superior to the bolt rifle in dealings with game that is likely to kill you first, given the chance.
2. The Searcy rifles seem to perform their tasks as well as those by other makers costing upwards of four to fifteen times as much.
Being built in the United States, service after the sale is much quicker and in all instances listed, satisfactory.

No legitimate complaints by named sources having been found, the case against Searcy Rifles is dismissed with prejudice.

regards,

Rich
another satisfied Searcy man

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Five Jack
You all ready stated your opinion twice before in this thread, why do you feel the need to keep repeating your self. While you can stand by your position all you want too, which is certainly your right, you are in the vast minority on this site. I have owned a couple of Searcy's that I got second hand and as the majority on here, have had no problem with either. I still have the 700 and it shoots like a charm. Having owned more than my fair share of big bores, I will rate Butch right up at the top with a couple of other guys for his doubles. I sure hear a whole lot more positive about Butch than negative.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich...+1 beer

Jack,
You chose a very nice double...had a nice restoration done by a gentleman who refers to Searcy doubles as "tough working rifles"(he and I have discussed many makers), and should be proud of your purchase. But before you let your nose get too high in the clouds, you might try shooting a Searcy. They truely are great shooting guns. Then, load some rounds and shoot that Osborne, you have owned for a year... Big Grin
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote