THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Humor    Squirrels that really fly!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrels that really fly!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is going to start a real pissing match, but I think it's important. There is every reason to think that these critters suffer at the end of the flight. Perhaps just some bruising, but maybe broken bones, too. If so, this is clearly a case of cruelty. Yeh, I think it's funny, too. I'm a guy, just like most everyone here. As a hunter, I want to be able to look the non-hunters square in the eye and defend my sport. I certainly don't want to give the anti's more arrows for their quivers. Maybe the perp in the video isn't a hunter. I hope so. We here are, so maybe we should think a bit about the consequences of broadcasting this stuff.

Ray, fellow Seattleite, please don't take offense. This is not a personal attack. I've been guilty of worse.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know I still think it's funny.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I apologize for any misgivings re. this video, it struct me instantly as "funny" but now realize the other ramifications, so the nay sayers are 'right' today....r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Initially It"s funny to see a squirrel being catapulted, but it dissagrees with my philosophy of "either kill it, or leave it alone"
Strange how we think about stuff, would it be OK if they were rats? House cats? Is it OK for an animal to suffer if it"s not cute?
All way too heavy for the humour forum!

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
There is every reason to think that these critters suffer at the end of the flight. Perhaps just some bruising, but maybe broken bones, too.

Squirrels that get on my deck don't suffer, for long.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tain't funny and it tain't cool. thumbdown
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was funny. But I do hope they shot the thing anyways. Any wild animal that gets on my house doesn't last long.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post

I thought about it............Yea, that's damn funny. I'm not so PC that I can't see the humor in it. Is somebody going to attack me as a hunter because I think a video of a squirrel getting shot through the air by a bowl is funny? Screw'em if they do! I think I can stand up to the criticism if they do. If I let what some anti-hunter type thinks bother me then he has already won. You guy's need to lighten up. I'll talk to Saeed, maybe we can start a tree hugging forum and we can all tell each other how we should think and feel about things. Roll Eyes

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
It really bothered me and I think if it does not you got problems. I would call the police if I saw that in person, besides being cruel and sick just for a chuckle it is no doubt plain ole wrong and illegal.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since this thread started I have killed over 1,000 ground squirrels.

Other ground squirrel hunters at AR can be found by searching against "sage rats", "squeakers"

If I shoot them in the center of the chest at close range, they fall straight back and lie on the back without a quiver.

If I shoot in the side at 50 yards, they get on their backs and kick the feet or on the belly and wiggle the tail.

At 100 yards, and indirect hit will sometimes cause them to bounce straight up 10" like a fountain, 2 or 3 times a second.

Here is one hit with Quick Shok 22LR ammo:

Does the trespassing squirrel that went for a ride through the air without injury still seem offensive?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did y'all somehow miss the OSHA-approved red safety net that the squill landed "safely" in? Wonder if said squill has a SAG card and will get dividends for its stunt work?

stir

One of Us
Picture of loucfir
posted Hide Post
HUMOR???
At times I guess we forget that what we do my injure or inflict pain to those we come in contact with. Yes, I am just as guilty of wounding others with word and action, but for Gods sake, pull your head out of your ass...it't humor, a flying fuckin' squirrel...not a AK round in the side of your body armor...Oh, that's funny!!!
Sculptor, Paul B & Brice, don't attack Ray in Seattle for finding something "he" found to his liking, look at what's going on in the rest of the world and do your best to stop it on one of their open forums.

Posts: 309 | Location: The Great Northwest | Registered: 25 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

I certainly did not intend an attack on Ray, or anyone else. I found the clip amusing, too. And, I have probably plugged more pasture poodles than most here. That being said, there is a great difference between killing a pest or trophy animal outright and torturing one for amusement. All I ask is that we carefully consider our actions to make sure they comply with our truly held beliefs. I certainly don't have the moral superiority to criticize fellow AR members, and it wasn't my intent to do so.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Brice. I guess where I'm coming from on this is that's a tree squirrel. When they come into season in my yard the female will get in one of the highest branches in the yard and make a chirping type sound. This lets all the eligible males know that she's ready for some luv'en. When this happens the yard comes alive! Squirrels run from every direction leaping distances you wouldn't think they could possibly make and sometimes they don't. When they all get where the lady squirrel is it becomes a vicious squirrel fight. They throw each other from 50-75ft branches onto the ground. When they hit they don't call the police or the SPCA, they shag ass back up the tree and try to get that noodle wet. These are tough little animals. What happened to the one in the video might have been embarrassing but I'd bet dollars to donuts the only thing that got hurt was his pride. I'm not for hurting an animal for no reason, but hell, if someone teases one a little I can live with it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
The little bastards enjoy the ride.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I certainly did not intend an attack on Ray, or anyone else. I found the clip amusing, too. And, I have probably plugged more pasture poodles than most here. That being said, there is a great difference between killing a pest or trophy animal outright and torturing one for amusement. All I ask is that we carefully consider our actions to make sure they comply with our truly held beliefs. I certainly don't have the moral superiority to criticize fellow AR members, and it wasn't my intent to do so.
Brice

Amen Brice, A GREAT DIFFERENCE INDEED. Toturing animals for amusement is and always will be plain old wrong and sick.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sculptor:

Amen Brice, A GREAT DIFFERENCE INDEED. Toturing animals for amusement is and always will be plain old wrong and sick.

"No it isn't" -John Cleese as Mr. Barnard in "The Argument Clinic"

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Feed it, kill it, feed it and kill it, or leave it alone.

Not funny, not cool and not the least bit to my liking.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would get Acrophobia up there.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Honestly, this is something I would have done in my youth and found it to be most entertaining.

Today, I see the humor in the act, but not the result.

Every action has consequences, and in this case the realization of an animal suffering isn't my idea of funny. Even though it is a tree rat where I come from.

My father has had a few get into his atic. I killed a few with a BB gun, and he trapped 1 or 2 after I moved away, took them up the mountain and let them go.

I performed a little test to see exactly how my kids would react. (ages 12, 6, and 5).

I played the video with and without the music.

When they watched it with music, it seemed to be more funny, without music, much less amusing.

12 year old daughter: chuckled just about each time squirrel was launched.

6 year old son: first response (no music), "poor squirrel." But, chuckled a couple of times while music played.

5 year old daughter: silent until both were finished. She never cracked a smile or had sympathy. Afterwords, she looked at me and said, "why did they do that?"

My own independent study, I know, but I think the music has influence on emotion.

When we were done, I asked them all their thoughts:

oldest: "it was funny"
middle: "hilarious"--but he looked insincere. Probably trying to top his older sister.
youngest: "ummmm, I don't know"

After explaining the squirrel's landing and possible results, their faces changed immediately. Wasn't too funny anymore.

However, my 12 year old said watching the flying part was still amusing. If that could happen without a rough landing and no pain, it would be hilarious. I guess she's honest.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns