Find
Notify
Tools

Big Wild Chickens
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Just got a bunch of grown guinea-fowl to eat the ticks in the yard. They're in the pen, will release a few in one more day. BUT, they got me interested and I just ordered some Saipan Jungle Fowl--Here's some picts from the net. Anybody have any experience with these Magnums? Looks like these things would make good Sunday morning hunting trophies for the grandkids (both unfenced, of course), then a big chicken fry for dinner?
Or velociraptor wannabies for guard chickens?

more
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Saipan/BRKSaipan.html

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Strange looking fowl, they look like an English game crossed with ???

Where did you order from? Are you getting grown birds or chicks? I am curious.

I just had a batch of chicks arrive (some layers and some 'meaties') from McMurray Hatchery when a Nor'easter ripped through here on Monday, I have lost 15 chicks so far. I have never had such losses.

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Ann, I have ordered the saipan Jungle fowl and the black shamos in straight run chicks--receved info today that they will be sent by 2 day USPS in 2-4 weeks. There are some excellent images on Google.com Images for Saipan Jungle fowl! The Company is Ideal Poultry out of Cameron, TX. I'm doubtful about 2 day USPS to the NE, but they must have some way. Good Luck on the birds, and escaping any more bad weather.

Link https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/categories.aspx

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got an evil eye. All of em. Cept for the little girl, of course.

plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
They look like cave man chickens.

I haven't had any birds in about 18 years. We used to have pheonix, cochins, polish (too dumb), mottled houdans, and bantam games.

The pheonix and mottled houdans were meaner than hell.

All the cochins were puppie dog tame.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these chickens going to be left to roam loose at your place or are you going to keep them penned? I wonder how aggressive the roo's will be towards people?

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I was planning on letting them out of the pen after several weeks to forage on my 80ac. The Saipan's apparently can be agressive to people, but the Shamos are reportedly less so. I will have to alter my plans after having failed in keeping the dogs from chasing the guineafowl away. Also, the sellers are shipping the breeds two weeks apart. Problems mounting, birds still 10 days away. May end by trying to give them away.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you are not receiving chicks but adult birds? Eeker I just got an order of chicks from McMurry and lost many due to a late delivery, they were due in the day a Nor'easter swept through here last week.

I have to keep the chicks under heat lamps here and the dogs do not get near them. My lab won't touch them anyway (funny, a bird dog that isn't birdy on chickens). But my new pit bull pup thinks they are toys. Maybe a saipan roo would teach him some manners?

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
They're chicks. Even as adults, these birds can't fly at all, apparently.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09