New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two More Deer with .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All these years I have posted that I use 55 grain Winchester Bulk packed bullets in my .22 cals. Kowblowey keeps saying there is a gopher on the box. Actually they are in a blue box from Midway with no picture. I looked closely at the label and it says Remington psp ammo. in fine print. My .243 bullets do say Winchester. Kowblower also says they will fragment within a few inches. How would he know with no experience? Truth is I have recovered two bullets--the rest were pass throughs. The two I did recover were almost identical in all respects. To start with both were from smaller yearling bucks. It is odd to me that pass through with larger bucks--but not these two. Both bullets recovered were just under the skin on the off side. Both were a perfect mushroom base that weighed 40 grains which is 72.7% of the original weight. I don't call that fragmenting. Yes a varmint bullet that aint broke so I aint fixin it.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had an idiot PM me to quit making anti hunting posts--shooting deer with small cal will only wound. I read some of his posts. He has a .300 Win Mag. I bet he can hit em anywhere with that supreme ultimate deer gun. Sure wish he would come on the open forum with his posts. I bet we would all be enlightened.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I discovered I had Remington bullets and not Winchester, I figured I better read up and learn how to use them. I'm not sure if this is a Natchez Shooter Supply or Remington quote but it says Pointed soft point bullets combine the expansion of a traditional soft point bullet with the longer range of a spitzer-shaped bullet. These bullets offer deeper penetration than a hollow point bullet. Bet that would kill gophers--surely not deer.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
All this time, and you didn't even know what bullet you've been using ??? Confused

You have always said Winchester 55gr. The gopher on the box comes from here: http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...n-pointed-soft-point

I doubt the 55gr Remingtons are any better.

You say you handload. Do you pay any more attention to the powder charge than the type of bullet you use? It's been my observation over the years that if a guy lacks attention to detail and distinctions in one area, it's pretty much across the board.

BTW, here is a post of real test results. Note the 55gr Rem bullet did a little better than varmint bullets, and not as well as the 223 bullets supposedly designed for deer.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...071051661#9071051661

On page two are pictures of sectioned bullets. The 55gr Rem is std cup&core, thin jacket, not bonded. There is nothing there to hold it together. It's a cheap bullet, for cheapskates.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
All this time, and you didn't even know what bullet you've been using ??? Confused
KB

I wonder if Fat Cat uses the same bullet. Confused roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I'm repeating here, but we've shot about a dozen deer on my place with 64 gr Win Power Pts.

From my first post in this thread, which you replied to in the next post.

Not only are you a no-balls blowhard, but you are stupid as well. You better watch out, living in California with your diminished brain power, the gun grab police will be at your door any day.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I couldn't care less about what caliber you kill deer with. I find it interesting, that posts like this one are always started by people who justify it by:

I'm a limp wrested person because of a shoulder injury.

It's for the children.

It's for some old fart that shouldn't be out in the field anyway.

I need something to use my AR-15 on.

No,,, I didn't read the whole thread, it's the same old crap I’ve read for years. Don't you have something new you can irritate people with?

I tune into posts like this one just to watch the Angry people.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Well, I'm repeating here, but we've shot about a dozen deer on my place with 64 gr Win Power Pts.

From my first post in this thread, which you replied to in the next post.

Not only are you a no-balls blowhard, but you are stupid as well. You better watch out, living in California with your diminished brain power, the gun grab police will be at your door any day.

moonA die hard Fat Cat for sure. Can't seem to follow any blood trail either. shame roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cant recall what pic is on our local .223 PMP ammo, but on the .222 Rem box there is a pic of a Springbuck......

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
Cant recall what pic is on our local .223 PMP ammo, but on the .222 Rem box there is a pic of a Springbuck......

Mine have a looter.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm more then a little disgusted with Billy Dixon. Not only was there no picture of an indian on his box of sharps cartridges, he shot the indian at an un-ethical 1500+ yds.
No excuse for that behaviour, I'm sure KB is upset also. Get that picture right next time Billy. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm really confused with my Winchester ammo. There is a picture of a Pony Express looking rider on the box. Am I to shoot ponies or riders with it? Should I try one on my mailman? He drives a mail cart--not a pony.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by theback40:
I'm more then a little disgusted with Billy Dixon. Not only was there no picture of an indian on his box of sharps cartridges, he shot the indian at an un-ethical 1500+ yds.
No excuse for that behaviour, I'm sure KB is upset also. Get that picture right next time Billy. Big Grin[/QUOTE

I think it was an ego driven stunt.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I'm really confused with my Winchester ammo. There is a picture of a Pony Express looking rider on the box. Am I to shoot ponies or riders with it? Should I try one on my mailman? He drives a mail cart--not a pony.

You have to stay away from ammo like that unless you use it for target shooting. Stick to animals on the box for hunting ammo.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scott--"Stick to animals on the box for hunting ammo". Think I'll send ol Kowblower a box with a dinosaur on it and get rid of him.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
At least I know what bullets I'm shooting and what they are designed for. The 6.5mm 123 gr A-Max may be a target bullet, but considering the difficulty getting factory loads for the 6.5 Grendel ---- anyway I posted a picture of the results and exit. My favorite so far in handloads is the 100gr TTSX.

I don't see you 223 varmint bullet users posting pictures of your results. All I see are claims of such and such magic. Claims are cheap, just like the bullets Carpetman uses. Let's see some pictures.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
nillyIs any one here interested in a pissers toilet bowl for a head stone? horseroger horse

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I have a 220 swift I use on coyotes and other small varmits around my area. It is a fine varmit round and with todays powders and primers the rifle will shoot a long time with out wearing out. When you read why the 220 swift isn't as favaberal today as once was is hunters in the past found out the round was not the whiz bang deer round that gun writers in the day claimed it to be. That mostly was a result of the deer in the north here being big and the woods thick.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote