Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 25 WSSM worthwhile?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted
I found a great deal on a Browning 25 WSSM. What does anyone think about it?

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It basically duplicates the performance of the 25/06 so it should make a good deer rifle. Personally, I would rather have a .257 Roberts or a 25/06 but that is just me.

Posts: 43 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well Chris, welcome to the forum...

my folks live there in Temecula also...

on the 25 WSSM.. I think you are seeing a "smoking deal" on it for a reason.....

Myself, I'd keep with something that has been around for a while.. instead of something that was a brief trend that I'd worry about component availability later on...

and if you are not a handloader.. that last statement goes triple!

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I used one this weekend and it works great weighs nothing and shoots. I like it very much 25-06 leaves room for improvement with handloads but not much room to improve with 25 wssm. my 100 gr tsx load flatens the pigs sheep and deer . I might even shoot something bigger if I had the right shot. It is not voodoo or any other kind of majic but the little browning has killed about 12 animals with athority in less than a year.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think it is a great cart to neck up to 6.5 and 358 Big Grin

The compactness, weight and handling of the m70 featherweight 25 wssm was awesome...to me it is about the rig rather than the cart.

If you reload just buy a lot of brass and fear not...if you dont reload...go with something else.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the input. I tend to agree with Seafire when it comes to buying firearms in a caliber that is well established. I fell into that trap when 10mm first came out. I really was looking for a cartridge to hunt coyote with minimal pelt damage ayway. So it doesn't look like this would fit the bill. I just bought a new 30/06 deer rifle so no need duplicating. Any suggestions on a cool predator round/ rifle combo?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
me I love the quater bores so much I bought a .25/06 in a Ruger and a .257 WBY !!both are real shooters.......but the price of ammo !!!WHEW!!!

Posts: 52 | Location: TEXAS yall' | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
204 cooper

"predator rifle"

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
How about savage's new predator gun in 22-250. The whole gun is done up in MOBU, has a heavy barrel, and has their accutrigger.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
I've looked at that Savage. I think I'm in love. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
Just Bought one in .223. I am in love. dancing

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Seafire, too bad there never was a commercial 6.5 WSSM, I'd been all over that, and if it was slow on sales like some others, I'd get a cheaper rifle and ammo/ and then stock up on brass. Heard great things about the 25 version, others have to keep bbl clean often I hear, Fed 243 WSSM brass is not bad on price compared to Win I have seen, but often FC is thicker and has less capacity, also hear when forming say 6.5 from smaller bores, the brass is very thick and you have to ream inside necks and turn necks IIRC.

I'd consider a 25 and be very happy with ballistics in a small bore. Personally feel the 25 BR (wildcat) and WSSM are well suited and those little actions could have some weight savings. Assume they feed ok, but do not know for certain. Accuracy said to be very good.

Chris, let us know if you go with the Browning.

If you want one for hutning Game I'd say if you like it do it, but for alot of varmint shooting, a 223, 22-250, 222, or 243 would give you more options and perhaps less expensive ammo/brass. If the WSSM starts to fade away, you might can pick up cheap ammo/brass as well as rifles at clearance prices.

Good luck.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I think it is a great cart to neck up to 6.5 and 358 Big Grin

The compactness, weight and handling of the m70 featherweight 25 wssm was awesome...to me it is about the rig rather than the cart.

If you reload just buy a lot of brass and fear not...if you dont reload...go with something else.

I agree. The Winchester Model 70 WSSM rifles handle and balance extremely well. They're light and awesome to carry in the field.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Kenney:
I found a great deal on a Browning 25 WSSM. What does anyone think about it?

Might be alright if you wanna load them one at a time, WSSMs are known for not feeding well, wonder if thats why they dont sell many of them? Id stay away if it was me. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever tried one? My WSSM feed just fine.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 25 WSSM. I have had great success with both the Winchester/USRA 70 rifles and Winchester/Olin factory ammo. I've been very pleased with the Federal 243 WSSM brass that I've been using to feed my 25 WSSM pdog rifle. I've reloaded the initial lot of 100 cases x8 and haven't lost any. Since they're all used in the same rifle, I just neck size them and trimmed them after the 5th reloading.

I think that some people worry excessively about not being able to find brass in the future. I'd expect Winchester/Olin to make WSSM brass for many years to come. Perhaps only as a "season run" catagory of brass, like the 218 Bee, 225, and 358 currently are. Or you could just buy 1,000 pieces of brass when you buy the rifle and you should be in good shape for the accurate life of the rifle. BTW, CDNN currently has Browning A-Bolt Hunters in 25 WSSM on sale for $499.99 wholesale and Winchester/USRA 70 Ultimate Shadows in 25 WSSM for $399.99 wholesale.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My browning varmint stalker in 25wssm required truing, recrowning and rechambering to shoot up to expectations.

It is a cute cartridge, but doesn't really do anything that can't be had elsewhere with better brass availability.

Future brass availability is a concern for me.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have yet to shoot a Winchester/USRA 70 in 25 WSSM that wouldn't shoot at least 2 MOA with Winchester/Olin factory ammo before being tuned.

My original 25 WSSM, a Winchester/USRA 70 Super Shadow, has been tuned and will shoot the 120 grain Winchester/Olin factory loads into 1 to 1.25 MOA groups on a regular basis. The biggest challenge that I find with the WSSM is that the featherweight barrels heat up very quickly and need 4 or 5 minutes to cool between shots, if you want the groups to be in the MOA range. Another challenge with the WSSMs is that the synthetic stocks aren't exceptionally stiff and there isn't much to pick from the aftermarket stocks for the lighter barreled Winchesters.

OTOH, my Winchester/USRA 70 pdog rifle, which has a heavy custom barrel and a 1 in 14" twist, will shoot 75 grain bullets into sub-MOA groups all day, every day.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote