THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Reality. For .223/.224 users Only.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reality. For .223/.224 users Only.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC,
You and I just have to agree to disagree.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
You know that if you shoot more than one weekend before hunting season and actually have some trigger time under your belt at various ranges that when a 400 yard shot presents itself and you've practiced at that range and recognize it as a 400 yard shot have a still unaware animal and a dead rest that shot is not that difficult.
I completely understand your inability to make or comprehend that shot due to your lack of shooting experience.
To the ill informed and un--initiated it must seem like a magic trick.

Do tell more about the magic Barnes 52gr. TSX you prefer to shoot. It makes for a cute story that you recognize a 400 yard shot, pull off a 400 yard shot, then pace it 3 times to be sure it was a 400 yard shot.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
"I completely understand your inability to make or comprehend that shot due to your lack of shooting experience.
To the ill informed and un--initiated it must seem like a magic trick. "

From this point forward does it even matter what is said? Really?
Your narrow minds are made up, no changing them.
I could post a picture of the Antelope but it doesn't matter you will have another cut down or snide remark because it doesn't fit in your agenda.
Any further comments are pointless but the facts remain the same. I've killed plenty of Deer, Elk and Antelope with a variety of weapons to know whats effective. I'm fortunate enough to have a range on my property that gives me the opportunity to shoot at will and that means hone my skills and perfect my rifles and loads.
Facts are facts and you have chosen to not accept them as presented, your choice.
Feel free to spout more BS stories about long tracking jobs to further your position your agenda.
My experience is opposite and I can cite more than "one time".
Carry on gentlemen you are doing a great job as internet police snuffing out all opinions other than your own. Good work.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see now why Colorado voted in those gun laws.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
quote:
You have already admitted to being whipped by a .243.
When I was 12!

CHC,
You and I just have to agree to disagree.

And apparently you are still whipped by it.

>>I simply cannot ever remember losing a deer due to "marginality". It has always been a poor shot placement issue.<<

Your comment does not really make sense.
When you lost the deer you lost the evidence...
Without a post mortem you cannot judge the performance of the bullet and you cannot be sure of the exact bullet placement.

How many deer have I lost?
Zero - I know where each bullet struck and the performance of each bullet.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I completely understand your inability to make or comprehend that shot due to your lack of shooting experience.
To the ill informed and un--initiated it must seem like a magic trick. "

From this point forward does it even matter what is said? Really?
Your narrow minds are made up, no changing them.
I could post a picture of the Antelope but it doesn't matter you will have another cut down or snide remark because it doesn't fit in your agenda.
Any further comments are pointless but the facts remain the same. I've killed plenty of Deer, Elk and Antelope with a variety of weapons to know whats effective. I'm fortunate enough to have a range on my property that gives me the opportunity to shoot at will and that means hone my skills and perfect my rifles and loads.
Facts are facts and you have chosen to not accept them as presented, your choice.
Feel free to spout more BS stories about long tracking jobs to further your position your agenda.
My experience is opposite and I can cite more than "one time".
Carry on gentlemen you are doing a great job as internet police snuffing out all opinions other than your own. Good work.

I figure a guy so versed in his abilities would know a lot about 52 gr TSX's. Seeing as there aren't any makes me wonder is you spent some time on the Warren Commission.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Oh sorry my bad, is that what has you so worked up?
I said 52 grain I guess I meant 53 grain TSX, habit I used to shoot the 52 grain monometal before they put grooves in them and changed the name.
I make the same 1 grain mistake with my 9.3x62, keep wanting to call them 285 grain bullets when in fact some are 286. I guess I also sometimes mis quote the 52 and 53 grain Sierra Match bullets my god I best watch for that cuz those are huge errors on my part.
So really thats whats got you so hot and bothered a mis quote of 1 grain of bullet weight?
Wow glad we have that solved now we can go on to you bashing me some more for using a caliber you don't approve of........
Please continue to police this thread and squash anyones experiences with your "my way or the highway" approach.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh sorry my bad, is that what has you so worked up?
I said 52 grain I guess I meant 53 grain TSX, habit I used to shoot the 52 grain monometal before they put grooves in them and changed the name.
I make the same 1 grain mistake with my 9.3x62, keep wanting to call them 285 grain bullets when in fact some are 286. I guess I also sometimes mis quote the 52 and 53 grain Sierra Match bullets my god I best watch for that cuz those are huge errors on my part.
So really thats whats got you so hot and bothered a mis quote of 1 grain of bullet weight?
Wow glad we have that solved now we can go on to you bashing me some more for using a caliber you don't approve of........
Please continue to police this thread and squash anyones experiences with your "my way or the highway" approach.

Where did I bash .224? Just saying you estimating 400 yards to within a yard is crap. I didn't mention I thought the 1 1/2" "group" is further crap or that you must have a wind meter up your ass as well to contend with drift even at warp speed (about 2' with 10/cross), but you knew that. It's your story and your sticking to it....

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
It ain't a story, hell I was there.!
moon
animal

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
shocker shocker 5 wholes pages of name calling/back biting/character assignation.

All this over a simple, meaningless yes/no poll about whether or not a person would use any of the various .22 CF's when going after an actual trophy sized buck.

Some folks voted yes and some folks voted no.

Some folks voted against Obama and some folks voted for Obama.

Sites like this were developed so that individuals with similar basic interests, in this case hunting and guns, could share opinions/experiences and exchange ideas and information.

For pity sakes, put people you have developed a hatred for on ignore, save everyone else from having to look at the bsflag

That or don't click on any posts someone you hate has made.

Regardless how any of you think or feel, each of us have our own individual opinions/beliefs and experiences, what is so damn wrong with that, NOTHING.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lost exactly two deer in the last 34 years of firearms hunting.

Let me repeat myself:
quote:
I had a bruised shoulder, ringing ears, and hated that rifle. First deer I ever shot at with rifle was wounded, ran 4 miles before others in the hunting group finally caught up and killed it with a properly placed shot.

Great way to start hunting don't you think?

One of two deer that I have personally lost with any caliber of rifle. The other was a Ruger International #1 in 270. I never really liked that rifle either for some reason and I botched a shot. The deer was shot by another hunter on the adjoining property.

I was able to talk the hunter as I have permission to hunt the neighbor's land also.

quote:
And apparently you are still whipped by it.

Let me repeat myself again.
quote:
I went through a growth spurt after my first year and handled the 243 very well the following year.

I never seriously started used a 22-250 for deer until 2000 or so. Before that it was a 270 or 338WM, as that was the only rifles I owned after I traded the 243 for 270. I used to kid my friend about using his 22-250 all time, and he would ask me why I needed to use a cannon, meaning my 270. All in good fun of course.

I will take any shot with a 22-250 that I would take with any of my rifles. A good shot presentation is just that, good.

I have consciously tried to catch the 53gr TSX, but have been unsuccessful. I can remember three quartering on shots. Broke the leg on each shot with various exits from behind the ribs to exiting the the front part of the hindquarter.

I even had a severe quartering to presention where the bullet entered in front of the leg and exited the hindquarter.

The only bullet fragment I have recovered were two petals that were found in the neck meat when my son shot through the vertebrae of an adult whitetail doe immediately in front of the shoulders.

We have shot animals from 40-450 yards. All sorts of shot presentations. It simply works for me, my friend, my sons, and his kids.

That is why I call BS when I see it.

I am finished with this thread as CHC and I have agreed to disagree and I am now being required to quote myself.

I have stated my experience using 223/224 rifles. Up to you to decide, it matters not one bit to me. I know what I have experienced, you know what you have experienced.

Shoot what you like, like what shoot, but most importantly put the bullet in the right spot.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People wound deer, rifles do not....I can and have hunted deer with a 22 L.R. without wounding any.(Mexico)...I have shot deer and plainsgame with 222, 223 and 22-250 and not wounded any..You have to adjust your hunting technique to the caliber, simple as that.

I still hunt with my old 25-35 Win mod. 94 SRC behind my house if I draw a permit...Its a good gun at 100 to perhaps 200 yards under good conitions..I have had to watch some real monster bucks mosey over the saddle because I didn't have my 300 or .270 but thats fine with me..I knew that could happen.

Were I trophy hunting

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote