THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Need Opinion, 6mm or 250 Savage
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Opinion, 6mm or 250 Savage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RonsGuns:
If you could have only one for deer and varmint huntin which would YOU choose? and why?

Step back a moment from this narrow question and think about it. The 250 Sav. and the 6 mm's are not the only cartridges.

Where I hunt the most the bear season is open for ten weeks and the woodchucks are gone. I am not comfortable with either a 6mm or a 250 Sav. for deer let alone black bear. So I would select a larger cartridge and be done with it.

If the selection is limited to those two in the orginal question then what's your bear and moose rifle? I would just hunt deer with my bear and moose rifle and have a rifle for varmints. Heck I can hunt varmints with a .22 LR.

What's the real limitation anyway? Is it money? There is no law that I can have only one centerfire rifle?

If down to only one rifle I suppose I would keep a .308 Win. It's still a US military cartridge and would shoot varmints and everything else I could afford to get to with it until I got another rifle.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neither thumbdown
I'd go with a 257Roberts thumb

Posts: 60 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
If the original question had been "what would you choose for a cartridge if you could only have one rifle?"

I would have answered 300Win mag. I can load this baby to hunt anything in NA. Why settle for a 25 caliber?

Real guns start at 30.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF frogs had wings...

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flippy, you claimed that a .25-06 would do anything a .250-3000 will do and do it better.

I gave you a short list of things that a 25-06 won't do. Not my problem if you don't think they aren't important. The .25-06 won't do them.

Now, I like the .25-06 as well as the next guy. Have three and a .257 Improved at the moment and several others in the past. However, when I go into the woods, it's Savage 99A in .250-3000 that goes with me. It'll do anything I'm gonna do. Once you have enough, there ain't no "better".

When I go walking around looking for ground hogs, it goes with me, too. My part of the country don't offer a lot of long range shots other than a couple of weeks after hay cutting.

Goes with me squirrel hunting, too. That's where those cast bullets come in. Couple of weeks shooting squirrels with your deer rifle makes a difference when big game season opens.

Your barrel life argument is plain silly. I ain't trying to match .25-06 and could not get that much powder in the case. 30 grains of powder is gonna be a lot less wear on a barrel than 50 grains anyway you look at it.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leftoverdj:
Flippy, you claimed that a .25-06 would do anything a .250-3000 will do and do it better.

I gave you a short list of things that a 25-06 won't do. Not my problem if you don't think they aren't important. The .25-06 won't do them.

Now, I like the .25-06 as well as the next guy. Have three and a .257 Improved at the moment and several others in the past. However, when I go into the woods, it's Savage 99A in .250-3000 that goes with me. It'll do anything I'm gonna do. Once you have enough, there ain't no "better".

When I go walking around looking for ground hogs, it goes with me, too. My part of the country don't offer a lot of long range shots other than a couple of weeks after hay cutting.

Goes with me squirrel hunting, too. That's where those cast bullets come in. Couple of weeks shooting squirrels with your deer rifle makes a difference when big game season opens.

Your barrel life argument is plain silly. I ain't trying to match .25-06 and could not get that much powder in the case. 30 grains of powder is gonna be a lot less wear on a barrel than 50 grains anyway you look at it.

Too bad there isn't ONE PERFECT CARTRIGE.

Sure would cut down on ALL THOSE RELOADING DIES...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Ron,
Just get the 250 [or the Ack Imp] and be forever happy!

Aloha, Mark[in Or]

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote