Need Opinion, 6mm or 250 Savage

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6711043/m/280103591

13 February 2005, 13:14
Savage99
Need Opinion, 6mm or 250 Savage
quote:
Originally posted by RonsGuns:
If you could have only one for deer and varmint huntin which would YOU choose? and why?

Step back a moment from this narrow question and think about it. The 250 Sav. and the 6 mm's are not the only cartridges.

Where I hunt the most the bear season is open for ten weeks and the woodchucks are gone. I am not comfortable with either a 6mm or a 250 Sav. for deer let alone black bear. So I would select a larger cartridge and be done with it.

If the selection is limited to those two in the orginal question then what's your bear and moose rifle? I would just hunt deer with my bear and moose rifle and have a rifle for varmints. Heck I can hunt varmints with a .22 LR.

What's the real limitation anyway? Is it money? There is no law that I can have only one centerfire rifle?

If down to only one rifle I suppose I would keep a .308 Win. It's still a US military cartridge and would shoot varmints and everything else I could afford to get to with it until I got another rifle.

Join the NRA
14 February 2005, 08:52
Virginia7
Neither thumbdown
I'd go with a 257Roberts thumb
15 February 2005, 02:28
Flippy
If the original question had been "what would you choose for a cartridge if you could only have one rifle?"

I would have answered 300Win mag. I can load this baby to hunt anything in NA. Why settle for a 25 caliber?

Real guns start at 30.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

15 February 2005, 04:11
DigitalDan
IF frogs had wings...

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

15 February 2005, 11:01
Leftoverdj
Flippy, you claimed that a .25-06 would do anything a .250-3000 will do and do it better.

I gave you a short list of things that a 25-06 won't do. Not my problem if you don't think they aren't important. The .25-06 won't do them.

Now, I like the .25-06 as well as the next guy. Have three and a .257 Improved at the moment and several others in the past. However, when I go into the woods, it's Savage 99A in .250-3000 that goes with me. It'll do anything I'm gonna do. Once you have enough, there ain't no "better".

When I go walking around looking for ground hogs, it goes with me, too. My part of the country don't offer a lot of long range shots other than a couple of weeks after hay cutting.

Goes with me squirrel hunting, too. That's where those cast bullets come in. Couple of weeks shooting squirrels with your deer rifle makes a difference when big game season opens.

Your barrel life argument is plain silly. I ain't trying to match .25-06 and could not get that much powder in the case. 30 grains of powder is gonna be a lot less wear on a barrel than 50 grains anyway you look at it.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.
19 February 2005, 23:52
Flippy
quote:
Originally posted by Leftoverdj:
Flippy, you claimed that a .25-06 would do anything a .250-3000 will do and do it better.

I gave you a short list of things that a 25-06 won't do. Not my problem if you don't think they aren't important. The .25-06 won't do them.

Now, I like the .25-06 as well as the next guy. Have three and a .257 Improved at the moment and several others in the past. However, when I go into the woods, it's Savage 99A in .250-3000 that goes with me. It'll do anything I'm gonna do. Once you have enough, there ain't no "better".

When I go walking around looking for ground hogs, it goes with me, too. My part of the country don't offer a lot of long range shots other than a couple of weeks after hay cutting.

Goes with me squirrel hunting, too. That's where those cast bullets come in. Couple of weeks shooting squirrels with your deer rifle makes a difference when big game season opens.

Your barrel life argument is plain silly. I ain't trying to match .25-06 and could not get that much powder in the case. 30 grains of powder is gonna be a lot less wear on a barrel than 50 grains anyway you look at it.

Too bad there isn't ONE PERFECT CARTRIGE.

Sure would cut down on ALL THOSE RELOADING DIES...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

20 February 2005, 21:16
Bohica
Dear Ron,
Just get the 250 [or the Ack Imp] and be forever happy!

Aloha, Mark[in Or]

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!